103 Mcd Xenon Flashlight Project - BFF

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
Re: 1?? Mcd Xenon Flashlight Project - BFF

Between 10 KHz to 20 KHz ignition circutry
But the actual EMI comes from the arc so it should match the ripple noise.
Something between 80 Hz to 200 Hz

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened

Thanks! Perhaps some capacitors could help filter it out. Still have a lot to learn about EMI, but luckily there is quite a bit of info on it online, so will continue to study.

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened

If you have some ferrite rings may be you can wrap the wire around it and make inductor!
I still think you can also make a EMI shield around your BMS IC's but it should be grounded or at least to be connected with a body. Attach some wire to the backplate and make connection to your body and let's see how it works )

PolarLi

Enlightened

For a light that doesn't work... It sure has one epic beam :D

Yes, I taped the battery on :laughing: I'm also borrowing the tripod for the stockpot light, so I had to make a temporary spacer to fit it on the yoke.

0gMbihH.jpg

8MULG9F.jpg

bbAZ6xo.jpg

8y5vzE9.jpg

FdiJghe.jpg

8tnoJml.jpg

PolarLi

Enlightened

I had about the same reaction when i fired it up, but I was begging it to not hand me another antic, and it didn't, so I let it run for 17 minutes :)

BVH

Flashaholic

A great looking, tight beam with little to no flair visible in the 2nd half of it. Looking forward to the 1-2 mile shot when it done!

PolarLi

Enlightened

Thanks, and yes, beam looked great, and I only spent a couple of minutes focusing it. With some more fine tuning it should be even better.

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had about the same reaction when i fired it up, but I was begging it to not hand me another antic, and it didn't, so I let it run for 17 minutes :)

17 glorious minutes!

When you are finished I would love some beamshots where the camera is much further away from the light, maybe hitting a cloud.

PolarLi

Enlightened

As usual, Im waiting on parts :shrug:now it's the various EMI shielding stuff I will try out. But I will probably start putting the circuitboard with the electronic together any day now (that will also need some shielding) When I have everything up and running properly, there will be plenty of good beamshots and not just the phone pics :wave:

PolarLi

Enlightened

Thanks! I hope I don't break the scale.

Enderman

Enlightened

This is great, lets see if the maxablaster will get dethroned :D
I love the 12" carbon fibre tube, I considered using carbon fibre for my syniosbeam but aluminum was easier to machine and it would work for heat dissipation.

PolarLi

Enlightened

Cheers! The CF tube is neat, but as you say, it sucks for heat dissipation and that's one of the reasons I had to use two airducts inside it.

Enderman

Enlightened

What is the length and weight of the light?
Mine was already difficult to handle and it was only 4" long and 5kg :p

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened

Step by step our psychology adapting xD
I remember 10 years ago it was hard for me carrying 2D-6D MAglite.
Right now i don't care, if i can handle it i will.

PolarLi

Enlightened

What is the length and weight of the light?
Mine was already difficult to handle and it was only 4" long and 5kg :p

It's 52 cm long or 20" and comes in at around 11 kg. Haven't put the light on the scale yet as i'm still adding small parts (and they all add up...) so the weight can change a little before I'm done. So yeah, there is a reason I have a padded shoulder strap for this ;) In retrospect, with a few small design changes from the beginning, I could certainly have made it just below 10Kg. And with a very different battery design, I could have dropped it all the way down to around 7 kilo, with a much shorter tube, and even more runtime as a bonus. But as Alrom says, it doesn't really matter that much, it's all about the mindset. People carry luggage around much heavier than this. One could also argue that anything over 500 gram is too heavy for a flashlight. But then you have to put different lights in different category. This one has for instance one epic candela to weight ratio :naughty:

Last edited: