1AA or 2AA floody headlamp needed

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Hi, everyone! :)

I wonder if you guys could help me choosing a headlamp, for night hiking (wandering around camp, not whole night hiking).
What I'm looking for:
* 1AA or 2AA alkaline/NIMH - l will use mostly my eneloop, but i wanna be able to use common alkalines in an emergency
* Lightweight
* Preferably, neutral white light. If not, cold white could do.
* A secondary red light (blinking mode would be a plus)
* A good range of modes (like: moonlight, low, medium, high and turbo, or something like that)
* Can withstand heavy rain (a little waterproofness would be even better, though I won't use it for diving)
* Floody is better (I will have a thrower in my hand)

The ones I narrowed down so far:
1. Nitecore HA20
2. Black Diamond Spot 2016 (read some people complaining about buttons being a bit unreliable)
3. Zebralight H52fw (read some coments about leakage and other waterproof problems)

So... Any comments on those listed, or any suggestions that are better? :)

Regards!

Last edited:

dhunley1

Enlightened
I recently picked up a Fenix HL35 and like it a lot. Nice neutral white light and can take standard AA's as well as 14500 cells.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Of those three, the Zebralight is the only one I have any familiarity with. It's great. Excellent tint and beam, featherweight, great UI. I haven't read about any waterproofing problems myself; that doesn't mean it can't happen, but unless you've read about *a lot* of issues I wouldn't let it stop you. No light or company is immune from failures.

Fenix is making some really nice headlamps these days as well - better, I would say, than most of their handheld line. I like the HL50 a lot, but if you don't need the CR123A capability then the Zebra is better in every respect. (The HL50 won't lock out, so you have to store it in a pouch.) I just bought an HL55 that's very nicely done (but it's an 18650 light).

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I have the Zebralight H52w, and while I can't speak to the other two lights you mentioned, I think the ZL is great and it checks all your boxes except the red LED.

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up a Fenix HL35 and like it a lot. Nice neutral white light and can take standard AA's as well as 14500 cells.

Do you know the weight of the HL35 (including batteries and headband)? I found no information about total weight, only the flashlight's.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl every time for if they are good enough for professional use,more than good enough for a hobby user.

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Ended up buying the HA20. Found a good price online.
Will let you know what are my iimpressions when it arrives :)