• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

1xAA McClickie Pak Wave

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Attachments

• Aleph1-AA.jpg
    Aleph1-AA.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 376

scout24

Flashaholic
Sorry, nbp. My picture days will have to wait until I'm not connecting via a phone that's probably a bit smarter than I am... Don takes way better photos, anyhow. :) Suffice it to say that it's a fantastic splitring attachment point as well!

nbp

Flashaholic
Sorry, nbp. My picture days will have to wait until I'm not connecting via a phone that's probably a bit smarter than I am... Don takes way better photos, anyhow. :) Suffice it to say that it's a fantastic splitring attachment point as well!

Bah. Hurricane shmuricane. ;)

Forgot you weren't powered. Another time then. :)

fyrstormer

Banned
That looks lovely. It makes me wish I had a use for AA cells nowadays. Unfortunately I'm all stocked-up on RCR123s thanks to starting my Gizmo collection when they were the only option available. I'm sure they will be popular, though, once 1.5V drivers are available for all the various emitters McGizmo offers.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1.
Unless I start getting 14500, I don't really have anything that is E body and runs off a single AA.
It will proportionally look good on a Makai running 14500 on a 3S LE.

That looks lovely. It makes me wish I had a use for AA cells nowadays. Unfortunately I'm all stocked-up on RCR123s thanks to starting my Gizmo collection when they were the only option available. I'm sure they will be popular, though, once 1.5V drivers are available for all the various emitters McGizmo offers.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I have seen those Aleph heads in titanium around. Are they still sold? Do they take the same LE's that Don currently sells?

Thanks,
eala

Excellent question. Will the Mule heads be offered at purchase for a complete light? Depending on the head could one run a alkaline AA in this? It almost might be an excellent storm light.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) Here are my permutations. Am kicking myself for forgetting about the clip options. :ohgeez:

img2268zz.jpg

Ti VME / HI CRI Haiku

img2269wq.jpg

V10R / E2D with 2-mode Neutral Drop-in

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I wanted to get a feel for what a single AA (1.5V) light might be like in advance of the 3 speed AA converter that I hope comes to fruition so I built a light engine using one of Wayne's Mad Max converters coupled with a Nichia High CRI LED in a Mule head. It is a legitimate and useful light IMHO and one that people unfamiliar with CR123 or Li-Ion rechargeables can relate to.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Don,
If a 1xAA converter is in the works, I hope it will be Ni-MH compatable (0.9-1.5V voltage range, 1.2V nominal) :poke:

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to get a feel for what a single AA (1.5V) light might be like in advance of the 3 speed AA converter that I hope comes to fruition so I built a light engine using one of Wayne's Mad Max converters coupled with a Nichia High CRI LED in a Mule head. It is a legitimate and useful light IMHO and one that people unfamiliar with CR123 or Li-Ion rechargeables can relate to.

I assume you are referring to this driver board:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=181

Looks like that is single mode at 700mA... correct? I assume it runs ok on an Eneloop. Says the max. input voltage is 5V so in theory it should also work with a 14500.

Nifty idea.

Thanks,
eala

archimedes

Flashaholic
:) Here are my permutations. Am kicking myself for forgetting about the clip options. :ohgeez:
(....)
Ti VME / HI CRI Haiku
(....)
V10R / E2D with 2-mode Neutral Drop-in

I forgot the sunwayman heads thread into these. Too bad their threads are too short.

Thanks very much Zeruel for posting this, I had no idea the SWM threads were E-series (and thus McGizmo-series) compatible - :)

Yes, since the SWM threads are very short, it does require the use of a small spacer ... but otherwise, it works (& looks) great !

I just put a SWM V10R Ti2 on this 1xAA McClicky Pak (with a little spacer), and voila, titanium eneloop torch with continuously-variable output - :twothumbs

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I assume you are referring to this driver board:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=181

Looks like that is single mode at 700mA... correct? I assume it runs ok on an Eneloop. Says the max. input voltage is 5V so in theory it should also work with a 14500.

Nifty idea.

Thanks,
eala

I have that Max Max in my Minimag, but it works very poorly on 1 AA. Could be switch resistance or something, because I have heard they work okay (say around 300-350 mA) on 1AA.

Could be just a mediocre build on my part. Works great with 2AA. Eala, I don't think it works properly on 14500. It only works up to the vF of the LED. Even though the cricuit says 5V, it's only supposed to be a boost circuit I believe.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks gunga.

I am hanging on for Don's version regardless.

eala

I have that Max Max in my Minimag, but it works very poorly on 1 AA. Could be switch resistance or something, because I have heard they work okay (say around 300-350 mA) on 1AA.

Could be just a mediocre build on my part. Works great with 2AA. Eala, I don't think it works properly on 14500. It only works up to the vF of the LED. Even though the cricuit says 5V, it's only supposed to be a boost circuit I believe.