4 Cree Light !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

merkaba

Newly Enlightened
Good idea magudaman, ive been thinking about doing something similar too.

Not sure what would be the best but one option would be to cut the threaded part off that screws into the head... maybe leave a small amount of the battery tube and fill it with that glue or epoxy that malkoff uses with his 4 cree mag mod.

Im not sure what the stuff is called but i think it could be a good option to consider. Just run your 2 leads out through the epoxy and it should provide a pretty good seal.

eddielee70

Newly Enlightened

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
I didn't mention it, but I am going to be using this as a helmet mounted light. I prefer it mounted there and more spot. That is why I am sell my hid because it was too flood for trail use on my helmet.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
XAK;

cool down bro, batvette is expressing him/herself, and he/she's right to do so.

Batvette:

but I wonder which nation was responsible for starting the "industrial revolution" in China back in the 80's that has now almost crippled the enivironment??? Oh wait...let me see... it was the profit-hungry American MNCs such as Nike, GE, Microsoft... but of course... its easier to mess up someone else's backyard rather than your own eh??:crackup:

I was reading through this whole thread and just saw this post. It might be a "fine business model" for those of us on the purchasing end but as I understand it, (and you, unlike me, have been there and may have seen this or know better) the standard of living of those on the botton tier in that country and others we import from is deplorable. Supposedly in China you don't see the worst of it unless you go "off the beaten path".

On a human level even if we choose to look away from the fact that we get bargains on consumer goods because someone has to work in a factory for pennies a day, and not even enjoy anything beyond basic sustainance, the global effect of the overall environmental disaster being perpetrated by Chinese industry as a whole will bite us all in the *** soon enough in the global warming problem. The brown cloud hovering over mainland China, (even though it is particulate matter, not GGE related) is symptomatic of what is going on over there. Perhaps US manufacturers would be more competetive if they could pollute with impunity and employ (near)slave labor? 90% of China's internal waterways are now considered "non-potable" because of industrial pollution. That means can't drink it, don't bathe in it, don't wash with it. That wouldn't be acceptable here.

No disrespect intended to DX or any Chinese nationals, as I am sure many wish to improve the situation, but a reality check is relevant from time to time.

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
Oh, so it was America that screwed up China, no fault of their own, huh? Typical blame America first lefty moonbat nonsense. Coolaid anyone?:ohgeez:

...I'm sorry, what does this have to do with LED flashlights again?:sigh:

Xak

Enlightened
XAK;

cool down bro, batvette is expressing him/herself, and he/she's right to do so.

I'm not trying to start a so-called global warming, America is bad, tooth fairies are real debate. I am on this thread to learn about this LED light as is everyone else.

So it turns out batvette is wrong to express his/her ideology in this thread.

Perhaps there is a political subject area for comments like these? I have no fear of free speech and lively debate, but there is a time and place for everything. I like this forum because I can get away from all that lunacy. If the moderators don't mind I will be happy to respond to, and debate when people post their political views, but I have a feeling if the threads start getting cluttered with political banter whenever someone decides to slide in some biased comments about their views it will make people less enthusiastic towards joining our forum.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
When you understand that "drop shipment" is the *most* popular item on the DX website, you will understand the ebay.

There are lots of ebay buyers who do NOT know DX and ebay sellars want to keep it that way.

- Vikas

Vermonter73

Enlightened
Will folks PLEASE keep political crap out of here! If I wanted to read that junk I could find it anywhere. I come here to read about FLASHLIGHTS.

big beam

Enlightened
I ordered a grey one on Jan 12TH with some other stuff from DX and it was shipped on the 17TH.The invoice said the light was shipped but when I got the order no light.I don't even think they had the grey lights in stock on the 17TH so now we're going back and forth.They're emailing slow because of the new year and such.I hope when we get this all figured out I get one of the new lights.Got the battery's and charger but no light:(
DON

So I ordered another light from DX.I guess my 50 bucks turned into vapor for the first light.I never got a responce from DX either other than it was shipped.Maybe it's all for the best and I'll get the better led's.Although I think this light ordered on 2/23 may be from a third batch because it's supposed to be shipped on 3/5.Maybe it'll have Q5's
:crackup:DON
I guess you have to keep a sense of humor about ordering anything from China,because you really don't have any recourse.:shakehead

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Don,

I'm sorry you had that experience, but I have to report that I'm even more impressed with my light than before. I loaded it with fresh PILA 18650's and set it up in front of a fan for constant burn on max.

I had first checked it for overall brightness by doing a ceiling bounce comparison with a fenix P3D/Q5. It appeared 2x or more brighter than the Fenix. After 2 hours it was still noticeably brighter than the Fenix though a little dimmer than before.

At 2 hrs + 20 min. the light conked out due to PILA protective circuitry. I let it rest for about 15 seconds then turned it back on. Ceiling bounce showed that is was slightly dimmer than the fresh Fenix.

The Romisen's fairly narrow beam (though with pretty good peripheral spread) doesn't make for an ideal walking or hiking light, but it is an excellent medium short to medium distance spot/search light with surprisingly good surround light and little evidence of the notorious "Cree Ring" whcih has dogged other lights.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
I did a little testing with my light today to test how bright the light would be on different types of batteries. I was able to test the voltage range of 12.4v down to about 6.5v. The light is brightest starting at about 10.8v and up (stays the same when over 10.8v). Below 10.8v and I was able to see a fairly linear drop in brightness. At 9v or 3 123a cells it was still pretty darn bright but dimmer than 4 cells. Below 9v it started drop fairly rapidly in brightness. I plan on running mine on external 3x 18650 cells so should remain bright through the life of the battery.

Does any one know what the peak input voltage is on this light?

BigBeam:

They forgot to send my 50mw laser that was supposed to come in the box my light did. I contacted and filled out that missing item form with pictures. After about 7 emails back and forth I got it worked out and they are shipping me one. Make sure your using the express help pages: http://services.dealextreme.com/ . They got back to me with in a day or so. This all happened in the last week or so.

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
... I plan on running mine on external 3x 18650 cells so should remain bright through the life of the battery.
magudaman,

I'm not sure what you mean by external cells. Are they in some kind of belt pack or container you're using on a bike? Or do you have extensions that permit you to load 3x18650's directly into the light. If so, where do you get these extra extensions? Only one came with my light that enabled me to use 2x18650's.

Brightnorm

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
I have a post one page earlier that shows that I want to build an attachment that adds a wire to the head to allow me to use and external battery pack. I usually throw this pack in a pocket or my camel pack.

mac66

Newly Enlightened
I am not a fanatic like many of you guys, I have a 25 year old rechargeable Mag light, a rechargeable Brinkman and a couple other lights so my question about the light in this thread is comparing it to the lights I have.

1. How would this 4 Cree light compare to my Magcharger in terms of throw, brightness, weight, length?

2. I recently got involved in search and rescue (SAR) as a volunteer. Would this Cree light be good for that purpose. Of is there something better. Kind of looking to get the same bang as the Magcharger but in a smaller/lighter package.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm - 279 posts and not a single beamshot? Well mac66 I can't say about this light as I don't own it and haven't read all this thread - just looked through it for a beamshot. But if I was using a light for SAR I'd probably go with something different. And yes you'll find a ton of lights that would be better for you both in terms of brightness and efficiency and longer runtime. Google search may help or start a thread with that question. I'd first look for something that runs on 18650 rechargeable batteries - one of the best for runtime and performance/power. There are a lot of lights that can use this battery including the older Surefire U2's (if you can find one that would be a good choice but a bit higher priced). Take a look around www.dealextreme.com and you'll see a lot of choices. Slow shipping but best prices. Look at the Tiablo A9, A8 and Dereelights, also Lumapower.

Status
Not open for further replies.