4 Cree Light !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrest

Newly Enlightened
Hey Big, just curious, when did you order yours? I'm awaiting mine. I ordered it on the 4th of this month, and the dx tracking shows it left hong king on the 7th, Thanx; Forrest

big beam

Enlightened
2/23.DX shipped mine on 3/6 so you should be getting yours any day.You will be AMAZED.On low, 50% it's as bright as my deerelight Q2 on high.It's still not dark here yet but I've been playing in my celler.
DON

TomBrown

Newly Enlightened
I still like mine but have discovered it is not very reliable. Sometimes I have to rap the head against my hand to make it come on.

It definitely isn't reliable enough, as is, to be a bike light. It would be off as much as it's on.

When it's on, however, it is fantastic. If I can get the problem sorted, it will be a great bike light.

eddielee70

Newly Enlightened
I still like mine but have discovered it is not very reliable. Sometimes I have to rap the head against my hand to make it come on.

It definitely isn't reliable enough, as is, to be a bike light. It would be off as much as it's on.

When it's on, however, it is fantastic. If I can get the problem sorted, it will be a great bike light.

it's your batteries, I had problem with the batteries connection, so I use those dealextreme 8mm magnets to make sure it's a good connection and it had not fail me( sometimes off and sometimes on) after that.

Xak

Enlightened
It seems trashing your country's leadership with false accusations is now called "new patriotism" and men get sent to hell and back to have it all called a "mistake". I can't remember anyone saying winning the cold war was a mistake.

+1 brotha

Xak

Enlightened
I see you're waiting for this light as well, please let us know if you get a "good" one with the brighter led's. Did you order grey or black? Seemed to me the second batch of the grey ones was the one to get, I got a black one, was pretty underwhelmed with it and am willing to throw another $50 their way if it's the better performer.
But even the one I have is still better than anythng I can find for the $$$ around town.
I might still go for a wolf-eyes HID. I have the Sam's HID, too big but output along those lines. I want something I can fit in my hand-even stuff in a pocket- that is so damn bright people run in terror.

Is that so wrong?

Shoot, I ordered a black one, but long after I ordered mine people have ordered their own and already recieved them with the brighter LEDs (what color body I have no idea). Hope I get a good one. If not, hey, it's only $50.

If I get a crappy one it'll give me an excuse to get one of the new P7 lights when they come out. :cool:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished some measurements of the head attached to a bench power supply. Voltage was measured at the head, and current from the BK1743 power supply readout. I don't have the exact numbers right next to me, I'm back at work. But, the gist of it is that the light pulls about 7 watts between 8 volts and 16 volts. That means it draws almost one amp at 8 volts and only 500 milliamps at 16 volts.

Below 8 volts, the current drops quickly. What this implies is that the light will run in full regulation and output for about half the capacity of two Li-on cells like 18650's (which would come to about an hour), with declining output for the second half (which would extend out for a few hours I suspect).

It also means that the emitters are probably being driven with about 6 watts of power total (after driver circuit losses), or about 1.5 watts each, or somewhere around 500 mA to each LED. I'm guessing that the light put about 300 lumens out the front after reflector/lens losses.

These measurements were on the "high" setting. I didn't try low. Also keep in mind that due to variations in emitter Vf, yours may not behave exactly as mine did.

Xak

Enlightened
Holy crap! Got mine today. Got a black one with the newer LEDs.

1: It is bright as hell.

2: On low it is bright as hell. Way brighter than my Amilite T5 on high.

3: I was disappointed with the strobe feature. It blinks, it doesn't strobe.

4: It is built like a tank and built well. It was solid, thicker than I thought it would be, and heavier than I thought it would be. The threads are great and came lubed.

5: It functions perfectly, however the tailcap button is difficult to operate unless you grip the light all the way back because it is flush with the back of the light.

Very happy with this light. I can't believe I only paid $50 for it! It is definitely best for outdoor use, though!

forrest

Newly Enlightened
That's great! Mine should be here in the next couple of days> What batteries are you using? I will be using the 18650,s

freshmaker

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today. Ordered from DX on 3/6 and received 3/19. The emitters are white/silver substrate. This sucker is bright!

As a junior flashaholic, and only buying the less expensive Chinese stuff, I feel confident in saying that Romisen has some of the best quality control and machining of any light I've purchased- on par with the Rexlights I just received. The machining and fit/finish is top notch. On close inspection there's one minor whorl in the anodizing in one of the planed indents but I had to look closely. An RC-F4 just received is equally impressive (also white base emitter, no idea of binning). I'll leave it to the pros to discuss the electrical specs but on a mechanical level this unit is superb.

The holster is also well thought out with velcro and snaps for 3 and 4 cr123a configs.

This light is sure to be backordered again soon at DX... hesitate at your own peril!

Last edited:

Winx

Newly Enlightened
I got my RC-T5 few days ago with 2*18650. I compared it to RC-F4 and surprised it wasn't brighter at all. Pretty much the same. I did some measurements and something isn't as it should be with two batteries. With three and four it's much brighter.

2*18650 at 8.24v
High 350 mA
Low 170 mA
Strobe max. 240 mA

3*18650 at 12.42v
High 670 mA
Low 270 mA
Strobe max. 450 mA

4*18650 at 16.50v
High 530 mA
Low 220 mA
Strobe max. 360 mA

I don't have CR123A's so I just put third and fourth battery in line without tube. My multimeter is slow, so no exact measurement at strobe mode.

Can I try something or just send it back to DX?

Last edited:

Photon_Whisperer

Newly Enlightened
Got mine in today:grin2: It has the "silver" emitters. Worked great with two 18650s. Then I tried to use 4 RCR123s (Ultrafire protected) and as reported, the batts were too long and I ended up crushing one and it's now dead:shakehead Couldn't figure out how to remove the spacer plug at the end of the tube and was banging on it for a while:eek: Then I realized it was screwed on but there are no holes to torque it with so I heated up my needle nose pliers, and then pressed them to the plastic spacer plug forming my own torquing holes and easily unscrewed them out:thumbsup: Now I just gotta wait for my backup RCR123s to charge and I'll test light output of 4xCR123s vs 2x18650s.

Photon_Whisperer

Newly Enlightened
Alright, from my tests, there's no difference in initial light output between RCR123s and 18650s.

The first test I did was done using a makeshift integrating sphere, which I call my bathroom:D I had my camera set on a tripod and the light was set to the same exact location each time (bounced on the wall behind the camera). Details are:

ISO: 500
Shutter: 1/20s
f-stop: 5.0
WB: Sunlight
Camera: 1Ds MkII
Focal Length: 16mm

With 4 RCR123s
CR-1.jpg

With 2 18650s:
18650-1.jpg

Beamshots at f8, 1/50s, and ISO 250:

With 2 18650s:
18650-2.jpg

With 4 RCR123s:
CR-2.jpg

It's not so easy to see here but toggling between the 2 "integrated light" photos in Adobe Lightroom shows absolutely no difference in brightness. In the beamshots, it looks like there might be a very slight difference with the 2 18650 beam being slightly brighter but with these shots, I had to handhold the light so they aren't alligned the same and I may have just hit a more specular portion of the reflection.

So it seems consistent with what people are saying, not much difference between the battery options with the "newer" lights.

Last edited:

KRS1

Newly Enlightened
Got mine like a month ago, it feel good when its in my hand.

In term of brighness it tend to flood more than throw.

I tried with 2x 18650 work nicely but when tried with 4 xcr123 it didnt turn on. :(

my MX power brighness about approximately the same as T4 but MX can throw alittle further than T4 ( due to deeper reflector?)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I got my RC-T5 few days ago with 2*18650. I compared it to RC-F4 and surprised it wasn't brighter at all...

Can I try something or just send it back to DX?

I think it runs better with 9v and up(from some posts I've read), so your light seems to have the same characteristic. It should be fine.

Xak

Enlightened
That's great! Mine should be here in the next couple of days> What batteries are you using? I will be using the 18650,s

4 123 3V Surefires.

I wonder if it would be much brighter if I got 123 3.7V rechargeable batteries.

Anyone know what sort of gasket or ring is around the front of the glass? Could it be replaced with a glow in the dark one?

forrest

Newly Enlightened
Got mine a couple of days ago, Tried it first in my 30x 40 shop with the doors all closed I was'nt impressed comparing it with a 4d mag/ task force/ streamlight hp with and without led upgrade. The task force seemed brighter. But at night in the yard WOWW the rom t-5 showed it's colors! it really is a "wall of light" Great spill and a decent throw, very well made also. Funny , I ordered 2 sets of prot. 18650 trustfires and ultrafires one battery would,nt charge, only held .980 volts after charging for hours. Contacted dx and they sent me a new set of them. Anyway the bad battery fell on the floor and I checked the voltage again and it was up to normal! and now charges fine, go figure. Kinda feel bad about getting a new set now, Kudos to dx for their great cust. service though!

Winx

Newly Enlightened
I think it runs better with 9v and up(from some posts I've read), so your light seems to have the same characteristic. It should be fine.

I was hoping I could use 18650's. 350 mA is weird, since everyone else reports 950 mA. That can't be right. :thumbsdow

Status
Not open for further replies.