4 Cree Light !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwarwick

Newly Enlightened
I agree this light looks like it will be really bright. I cant wait to get some info from the owners of this light.

This looks like a new model, is this a DX exclusive model?

Well my order is showing as shipped on DX site. That's actually pretty impressive to see a new item ship in only 2 days, especially when compared to the ridiculous wait of almost a month for them to ship my VB-16 Q5. So hopefully I'll have it in a week or two and can provide some feedback and beam shots.

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
This flashlight is soo late for christmast i spent the money already and cant afford another light. No excuse for more lights now. :sigh:

fa__

Newly Enlightened
And if this one turns to be crap, i'll go for a wolf eye storm , it has tempted me for too long

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
What are people's thoughts regarding this versus say the Aurora WF-800 Q5 for $42? Are Q5 LEDs far better? Cheers.

fa__

Newly Enlightened
WF800 seems to be designed to be a mainly a thrower, this multiled light shoul be a lot more floody

bessiebenny

Enlightened
What are people's thoughts regarding this versus say the Aurora WF-800 Q5 for $42? Are Q5 LEDs far better? Cheers.

As I said before in some other forums:

WF800 is a thrower. I'm pretty sure that it will out throw the 4 cree light.
Reflector shape is made to maximise its hotspot brightness and not spill.
So it'll light up a fox 200m away a little brighter than the RC-T5 would.

But in terms of sheer light output, RC-T5 will be at least 2 to 3 times the brightness of the WF800. So it'll light up the room/field/forest MUCH better than the WF-800. It's just that all that amount of light isn't concentrated in a small tight hotspot like the WF-800.

europium

Enlightened
I also couldn't resist and ordered one. :sssh:

I actually prefer the 50% setting for low, since to my eyes (with poor night vision) it will be like 25% of the high setting, and that's still a good level for use outdoors (since I don't ever expect to use this indoors). Although a 10% setting in place of the "flash" mode would be better.

Eu

Last edited:

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
As I said before in some other forums:

WF800 is a thrower. I'm pretty sure that it will out throw the 4 cree light.
Reflector shape is made to maximise its hotspot brightness and not spill.
So it'll light up a fox 200m away a little brighter than the RC-T5 would.

But in terms of sheer light output, RC-T5 will be at least 2 to 3 times the brightness of the WF800. So it'll light up the room/field/forest MUCH better than the WF-800. It's just that all that amount of light isn't concentrated in a small tight hotspot like the WF-800.

Thanks! Couldn't resist - ordered one. hopefully it'll do a good job.

gallium-arseno

Newly Enlightened
i've ordered the whole batch :crackup:

just kidding, i've ordered five. one fo me, one backup for me, one for my father (just beginning to be addicted), remaining for resale.

hope, this piece of light will shine for more than 13 minutes before :poof:

ciao,

torsten /western germany

eddielee70

Newly Enlightened

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious whether the light actually runs at full output on 2x18650s. The Vin with 2x18650s is 8.4V max (slowly dropping to 7.4V) while 4x123As is 12V (maybe 9.6-10V loaded), much higher. I recall some lights on DX saying they work with Li-Ions when in actuality, they are not nearly as bright because the driver was not designed for them and thus the light works, but not at full spec.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
If you look at their run times for each battery, it's interesting.

3 hours with 4 x CR123A
2.5 hours with 2 x 18650.

Considering 2 x 18650 has more capacity than 4 x 16340, if they were being suckd the same amounf of current, 2 x 18650 should last longer. But it doesn't. In fact, it runs shorter by about 20%. So it must be pulling more current when fed with lower voltage to compensate. Well, considering their run time figuires are generally wrong, it wouldn't surprise me that my theory is totally wrong. hehe.

mountainpenguin

Newly Enlightened
Ok this arrived today in the post.
fist thoughts are:
It looks quite nice. The threads feel ok.
The wiring looks a ok. It is wired as 2 parallel sets of 2 in series. i.e. 2 sets of 2 led in series.
On Primary cr123 it all looks ok but on rcr123 the extra length is too much and the cells are crushed to the extent they stop working (ultrafire cells)! After removing a section from the top of the tube though they fit fine.
This thing is very bright and throws well. Was lighting up houses over 100m away despite the street lights.
Took some pics http://picasaweb.google.com/f00b4rr/Cree4
there are 2 wall shots @~3m. The wall is painted light blue sorry. The comparison light is an ultrafire fmr1 with a fresh cr123.
The reflector / emitters are not symmetrical! which is odd.
I haven't had chance to see how long it runs for yet.
The cells are 16.3v unloaded and it draws 0.48 amps I think

Status
Not open for further replies.