#4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery gauge cannot be anywhere near accurate.

Runtime can be calculated from battery capacity and current draw.

Okay a device can measure the current draw.

But no device can know the battery capacity.

I can insert a CR123 with 150mAh (poor battery) or with 750mAh (new battery) and the device would not know it.

Other than that, the flashlight looks nice.

oh yes it is possible to run attacks, load pulses...etc on the cell and measure responses/impedance
and get better than 90% accurate predictability
but that is very smart chip to implement and ...it drains the cell during testing phase

stephenk

Enlightened
I have a Quark RGB head that I'd love to be able to lego with the Bluetooth body and tailcap. Just think of the fun you could have. :eek:oo:

I was thinking the same thing. If the bluetooth app had a colour wheel, or colour buttons like those cheap remotes for LED strip lighting, and the RGBW emitters are able to be individually controlled for colour mixing, then it would create something special. Maybe I should patent it?

keeperofdakeys

Newly Enlightened
We'll wait for the official verdict but I'd be very surprised to find that lego'ing isn't possible (with the bodies at any rate, the tailcap probably has some form of electronic switch).
It will be nice to have a quick way of changing the setup so I can simply hand the light to someone and say "Just press that".

I'd be surprised if they can be lego'd. In a normal Quark the rear switch works by completing the circuit, however this torch obviously has a completed circuit all the time. So in order for the tailcap to work, it would either need to be another bluetooth LE device (unlikely), or there would need to be a second connection running through the body. Though I guess there is a third option, the head and tailcap could be connected via entangled quantum particles.

I'm also guessing that this light is also PWM in order to accommodate all the custom settings.

Last edited:

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
I'd be surprised if they can be lego'd. In a normal Quark the rear switch works by completing the circuit, however this torch obviously has a completed circuit all the time. So in order for the tailcap to work, it would either need to be another bluetooth LE device (unlikely), or there would need to be a second connection running through the body. Though I guess there is a third option, the head and tailcap could be connected via entangled quantum particles.

I'm also guessing that this light is also PWM in order to accommodate all the custom settings.
That's what I said. [emoji4] I don't expect the old tailcaps to work but I see no reason the bodies couldn't.

keeperofdakeys

Newly Enlightened
That's what I said. [emoji4] I don't expect the old tailcaps to work but I see no reason the bodies couldn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the old Quark bodies only completed one circuit (the negative battery contact to the head of the light). For this new light to work, you'd need two circuits - the main power circuit for the batteries, and a second circuit to connect the tailcap to the head. If you didn't do this, you couldn't have the light always on. My logic is that since the old Quark body can't provide this, you most likely can't lego it. Would there be an alternate way to send a "button pressed" signal without a second circuit?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sure looks awesome. I have been waiting on someone to make this leap in flashlights. Killer work!

Footnote: I watched Davids video. I couldn't help but to notice, he has 16,217 unread emails! WTH! :wow:

Thanks!
Looks like it has a lot of potential.

A couple of questions:
1. Will it work with rechargeable 16340 RCR123A batteries?
1a. If so, can you enter the battery capacity so that it maintains it's accuracy
2. You said Android app is coming in a few months. Just curious why such a long delay?
3. Will you be releasing any type of developer kit to speed up the unlocking of the potential functionality (by enabling the geeks reading these forums to program the light)? (Asking this question since I am assuming you have fairly limited resources working on the software which is pushing the Android app is several months out).
Definitely a cool idea! Especially if the software is opened up for "modding".
1. size must be very close to cr123a
1a. no need for entering capacity
2. feature set was defined in ios for quick launch. android to follow. When we started years ago android didn't have their bt4.0 api ready. it's still buggy actually.
3. sorry no devel kit. if you would like to help with android pm me your resume :)
This looks nice and I would like to order one. Will there be a custom mode option? For example, I would more than likely use the tactical mode group as my preferred preference, though I do not use strobe/sos. While I understand that it would be possible to use the app to jump from moon to high or back to med, that would be a bit cumbersome to have to do often. A custom mode option where you can select that you want moon, low, high or so on will be great.
Eventually we will.
Will there be a 2xCr123 format and a clip?
2xAA is coming in january.
2x123 will follow after that.
Sorry no clip at the moment. There has always been a challenge with 1x123 quarks and clips. bigger lights are a better possibility. We are looking into optional tailcaps with permanent clips installed.
I'd be happy to be able to use a 16650.
This design is very sensitive to battery size, particularly the height. So it has to be cr123a sized. Even RCR123a needs to be very similar in size.
Ordered 2, this is going to be awesome. Will have to wait though for the android app, hopefully they release that before the lights ship
Sorry not likely. Hang with some apple buddies to play with and get your light configured :)
Shipping starts Dec 7, Android app "in a couple months"

But now we are talking. Been sitting on my wallet comfortably the past month, but this is INOVATION! Like to see the infinite mode in action, may be the ultimate interface for the old D10 fans. I think we may be able to get over the loss of the original Pro and Tactical Quarks with this. Unfortunately I am an Android user.
As mentioned in my video the Quark Click and the Quark Smart stand at complete opposites of each other and serve two different segments of the market. The Quark Smart was really for you guys :p

Android will take some time. We went with Apple because of the quicker development time. no worries. We'll get there.

The battery gauge cannot be anywhere near accurate.

Runtime can be calculated from battery capacity and current draw.

Okay a device can measure the current draw.

But no device can know the battery capacity.

I can insert a CR123 with 150mAh (poor battery) or with 750mAh (new battery) and the device would not know it.

Other than that, the flashlight looks nice.

We have a very sophisticated algorithm to handle this. The QSL does know whether the battery is 3v or 4.2v. The starting point is on the assumption that those cells have typical capacities and are not worn out but as the runtime continues the QSL logs and studies the V delta over time and accurately adjusts and can predict the runtime fairly accurately. This is the output mode - simply watching the delta V and you can easily know how long the battery will run.

The runtime mode is actually a countdown timer inside the QSL AND measuring delta V so that whatever initial output quickly becomes irrelevant as it analyzes and adapts to make sure you get exactly that runtime.

Yes you are right the light does not know the battery capacity - BUT we don't have to or need to.

Make sense?
I was thinking the same thing. If the bluetooth app had a colour wheel, or colour buttons like those cheap remotes for LED strip lighting, and the RGBW emitters are able to be individually controlled for colour mixing, then it would create something special. Maybe I should patent it?
too late. philips purchased color kinetics which had a massive portfolio of color mixing with led's. You just breathe the words "led color mixing" and philips may be on your back.
:devil: Does anyone have David's e mail address? :devil:

Just kidding! Please don't post it. 16,217 unread e mails is probably more than enough. :grin2:

~ Chance
Not funny :D

No lego-ing even though originally we intended to. Threads match but the light won't work right. The head is permanently attached.

No PWM. QSL is buck/boost - hence the ability to use 3v lithium primaries as well as 4.2v lithium-ions. This is also indicative by the existence of a true moonlight mode :)
The Quark Smart has a new design that needs the new tailcap. The old tailcap actually does screw on. The head is permanently glued on.

too late. philips purchased color kinetics which had a massive portfolio of color mixing with led's. You just breathe the words "led color mixing" and philips may be on your back.
:devil: Does anyone have David's e mail address? :devil:

Just kidding! Please don't post it. 16,217 unread e mails is probably more than enough. :grin2:

~ Chance
Not funny :D

No lego-ing even though originally we intended to. Threads match but the light won't work right. The head is permanently attached.

No PWM. QSL is buck/boost - hence the ability to use 3v lithium primaries as well as 4.2v lithium-ions. This is also indicative by the existence of a true moonlight mode :)
The Quark Smart has a new design that needs the new tailcap. The old tailcap actually does screw on. The head is permanently glued on.

gunga

Flashaholic
I wonder if a neutral tint or high cri can be modded into this (same with the Preon). I don't do cool white anymore.

Have not watched the video yet but will soon. This sounds very remarkable.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if a neutral tint or high cri can be modded into this (same with the Preon). I don't do cool white anymore.

Have not watched the video yet but will soon. This sounds very remarkable.
It's as mod-able as our typical quarks which is not very.

My wallet is crying. Why did I have to log on and see this?!
LOL!

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if anyone saw the light for next week in the video. :D

Hint - it's mirror polished stainless steel heheh

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely saw it before you moved it. I'm guessing it's a very cool key-chain light with blue tooth connectivity? :thinking:

Prepped

Enlightened
I think that's the fastest impulse buy of the year. Watched the video, and ordered immediately after.
When will the app be available for download? Also, can you take a picture of the light with the rubber boot removed so we can see how it looks tailstanding? Thanks.

Side note, this has been an absolutely awesome year for Flashaholics. So many great lights from so many different vendors. I absolutely love this hobby!

Last edited:

ryukin2000

Enlightened
Watched the whole vid. Pretty amazing. I haven't bought a flashlight since last Christmas. Nothing has interested me yet. Always been a fan of the quark AA line. Think I found my next flashlight! Will patiently wait for the android and AA format. Stoked!

stephenk

Enlightened
Philips seem to have a well organised IP licensing scheme to use their patents, and RGB(W) LED colour mixing is now commonplace in entertainment and architectural lighting, and increasingly home lighting. Thus I'm surprised it hasn't made its way into flashlights.
I wonder if any flashlight manufacturers have looked into licensing this technology?
If so was the license fee or lack of potential sales volumes the killer?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light might be my first 47s purchase, really interested in this one. Quick question, what is the UI like for the infinite ramping mode interface? Does it have shortcuts to high/low or does it just ramp up or down? Thanks!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Quark Smart is brilliant. I can't wait to see how infinite control works.

I haven't been this excited about a new flashlight in a very long time...maybe since the original quark ti. That said you know this NEEDS a clip right? A 1 x CR123a flashlight without a clip? Does it interfere with bluetooth or something?

Now the usual complaint...how about a neutral model?

If I set 1 hour runtime on a brand new battery do I get more than 325 lumens output? Can't you set a turbo mode to 400 lumens? I expect 325 from an XP-G2 but from a cool white XM-L2 a little more output would be a nice option.

Despite strange flaws mentioned above the bluetooth control is a great idea and I can't wait to see how it turns out and who is first to come up with a clip that fits it. It really needs a clip.