#4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

Prepped

Enlightened
David did mention a button battery that looks like it's in the new product. And I think he said "smart product line" at one point.

Yes, but he then goes on to say that the CR123 will mean it can be powered for the life of the battery. So I think the button battery was just for reference.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if anyone saw the light for next week in the video. :D

Hint - it's mirror polished stainless steel heheh

Oh yes! And, reading your Bluetooth list pictured in the video, it looks like it may be called the Navi

How are we supposed to wait a whole other week to get information? Can you please give us a teaser?
I haven't been this excited about one of your lights in years!

Treeguy

Enlightened
Brilliant! :twothumbs

Not only is it functional, it's fun. Finally a light you can customize.

A model that works on AA, please. And an Android app for those of us who would rather be boiled alive than ever touch an Apple device.

I had absolutely no choice. The gods conspired.

I want that light and I do not want to have to enter the Walled Garden of Despair in order to use it.

Ha! :laughing: You know, it's only a prison if you want out. Some of us less adventurous types prefer the security. Thanks for the chuckle, I u dears tand your point. Another funny; that was supposed to read understand. Auto-correct. Too funny to change.

~ Chance

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Can I just confirm that the app for this light lets me configure up to eight modes with a custom output level for each one?

If that's the case, I am so having the 2xAA version (conveniently coming out more or less when the Android app does). Been a while since a new light pushed something out of my EDC lineup, but this light could well be it!

djj

Newly Enlightened
Very intriguing! I'm going to have to wait for the android app. But it's really nice to see 4 sevens putting out new and interesting products. I have titanium quark and revo ss, and I might just be looking at my next 4 sevens purchase (finally).

Way to go David!

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Navi"
Slightly
off-topic here, but only slightly because David himself brought up this different light he teased in the video...

I took a few screen captures of the other light in the Quark Smart QSL video:
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-27%20at%2011.04.03%20PM_zpssehj67bf.png
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-27%20at%2011.08.17%20PM_zpspiv34heg.png
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-27%20at%2011.08.23%20PM_zpswv9djhwr.png

I re-watched the video again and I think I can make some educated guesses on some of the specifications of the new "Navi" light from FourSevens (to be announced next week--can't wait!):

1. It is listed as "Navi_BT" on his phone within the app. Hence, I think it's going to be called the "Navi". Navi can mean navigation, of course, but perhaps it's a more obscure reference to the Zelda character "Navi" who is like a little fairy that appears as a small bright light with wings, following Link around to help and guide him:
Navi_zpsesjlu7zi.jpg

2. It's super neat because the app even shows the correct icon shape--sort of 2 humps.
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-27%20at%2011.21.40%20PM_zpspu7wymob.png

3. I am pretty sure this light will run on a button/coin cell battery (or 2). You can see the bottom of the Navi in the video and there appears to be a plastic battery cover with 2 dimples for unscrewing it. This will be something like the venerable Photon lights, I think.
4. Plastic shell, but then it appears to have that polished stainless steel piece surrounding the edge and also forming the keychain slot/neck slot.
5. David actually knocks it over (which allowed me to get those second and third pics that show it from the back), and it sounds very lightweight.

I think this will be a neat keychain/neck light! I'm excited since I've been wearing a NiteCore Tube around my neck and really loving it. I'm a little worried about this one compared to the Tube: the Tube is very lightweight, it has a simple UI that is infinitely variable, it is rechargeable which I really love (no button cells!), and is <$10... This will be a very tough light to beat! But I'm very interested in what David has come up with...

Last edited:
Dang applevision,

That is some good work. I think Sherlock Holmes would be impressed. ............. However, ............

............... It kind of feels like that time I opened all my presents before Christmas. When Christmas came, I didn't have anything to be surprised by. :sigh:

~ Chance

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha ha!
Hopefully we'll still be surprised by how well it works and what the UI is and what the top part looks like! :thumbsup:

I'm excited about small lights--always have been!--and also just stumbled upon the MecArmy SGN3 keychain light... very cool as well! I will have some decisions to make... or as we say at CPF: I may just have to buy both!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
applevision - good job :)

On earlier questions - single AA is problematic because 1.5V has to be boosted for the bluetooth to operated at 2v which means you won't get those multi-year standby times UNLESS you turn off the bluetooth which defeats the whole purpose. Unless they come up with an incredible BT chip that runs on 0.9v then it's not going to happen. Given you can't really beat physics I'd say single AA ain't gonna happen in a long long time.

On the questions of special run ww, nw and whatever varieties the answer is no. None planned in the near future. The XM-L2 we are using is well spec'd and is 85 cri which is plenty neutral enough for me.

It's a good time to be a Flashaholic. :twothumbs David Chow, aka Saint Flashaholic, bringing wonderful new toys n tools to all the good boys and girls in the world. And to all, a good night. :wave:

~ Chance

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha ha!
Hopefully we'll still be surprised by how well it works and what the UI is and what the top part looks like! :thumbsup:
It's very very thin - about 4mm. It won't be as bright as those alternatives but it'll be smarter than any flashlight on the planet big or small :p

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
On earlier questions - single AA is problematic because 1.5V has to be boosted for the bluetooth to operated at 2v which means you won't get those multi-year standby times UNLESS you turn off the bluetooth which defeats the whole purpose. Unless they come up with an incredible BT chip that runs on 0.9v then it's not going to happen.

Just dreaming here, but what if the bluetooth only activated given a high enough voltage. If the voltage of the cell was below 2v, the bluetooth would deactivate and you would be left with a basic light. Great for emergencies...just a thought...

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just dreaming here, but what if the bluetooth only activated given a high enough voltage. If the voltage of the cell was below 2v, the bluetooth would deactivate and you would be left with a basic light. Great for emergencies...just a thought...
Still doesn't work with 0.9-1.5v AA's. Standby current draw from the boost circuit for the BT chip would kill the functionality of the light. Trust me we explored all options.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first joined CPF, some of my first legit and favorite flashlights were 4Sevens lights. Over that time my preferences changed and I branched out a bit, drifting away from 4Sevens/FourSevens and to other brands/manufacturers. My FourSevens purchases haven't been as much lately as they had been when I first found this great forum.

With that said, I am very excited about these new releases. I was lucky enough to have a little holiday cash on hand and jumped on the PK collab and a Quark Smart QSL. I might not be able to swing this weeks release but I look forward to seeing it nonetheless! :)