A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Message to self --

Check the two Pentax IIQ-Zoom waterproof 35mm cameras, as well as all the flashlights.
One of those two Pentax cameras uses two of these lithium 3v cells. And it's Waterproof.

I haven't used either one in about five years but they still had the clock date/time working and exposure count showing six months ago when I moved them -- into the sealed OtterBoxes, with new packs of the dessicant. The gas-tight boxes with the pressure relief valve on them to let me open them again if the air pressure's risen since I closed them up tight.

I bet the Pentax will suck those batteries completely dry, too.

Memo to self -- use tongs ....

YIKES!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading this entire thread, I'm thinking that all batteries should be stored in military surplus steel ammo containers. This would contain the explosion/fire and keep it from spreading.

Hi there, I have only read up to page 3 and ill read the rest later. I HOPE the battery mfgr replaced your light :grin2: like they say "we will repair or replace any device damaged by this battery" I have heard that lithium batteies can be dangerous:

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/rspa2100.htm

although i have 2 cameras powerd by cr123 batteries, and i have never had any probs. I HAVE however had an energizer blow up in my minimag.. when i opened the back of it. it sounded like a gun and the cap flew across the room.. Im sorry to hear about this and it makes me think: my camera is a lithium ion, my mobile phone, even my walkman uses LI ion..

Keltec

Newly Enlightened
dieselducy said:
I HAVE however had an energizer blow up in my minimag.. when i opened the back of it. it sounded like a gun and the cap flew across the room..
What Energizer was it? Alkaline ? Lithium ? Why did it blow up ?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Exploding Flashlights?

It has happened before. I was surprised to see a duracell in the photo. I am not sure if the second battery looks the way it does due to it being burned or or not. The second cell looks like a litium Ion cell to me.

*Retired*

There have been a number of flashlights that have exploded, all I've heard of, were using primary lithiums, and all the ones I heard about were 123 based flashlights. It also seems that they have all used 2 or 3 lithium primary 123 cells.

Luckily, so far, nobody's house has burned down due to the 123 primary lithiums yet.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
This is all pretty disturbing. I have 6 large drawers full of lights, many with multiple 123's, and my compulsive Flashaholic nature delights in selecting one (or 5) at random and lighting them up. I suppose I'll have to remove the cells from all but a few, though I hate to do that. At least I can keep my multiple-celled LiON lights primed and ready, or can I?

Brightnorm

Alloy Addict

Enlightened

lightcacher said:
Saw this on the Geocaching.Com website. Has anybody ever experienced this?

So what kind of batteries are those in that thread?

JonSidneyB said:
It has happened before. I was surprised to see a duracell in the photo. I am not sure if the second battery looks the way it does due to it being burned or or not. The second cell looks like a litium Ion cell to me.

That's what it looks like to me. That makes me think "user error" is at fault more than faulty cells.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

I have sent Tom and Donna an email to try to get more facts on their experience.

I will let everyone know what I find out.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Newbie,

In spite of my several efforts to contact them, I have heard nothing back from them...

Tom

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
pity tt d local agent cant didn't honor Pelican's "u break it, we replace it 4 free" where i m at (ttz S'pore) many mths ago! :rant:

d agent wanted me 2 pay abt 50% of d total price to replace a faulty LED bulb module. i m a fan of their lights (i hav recently bought d M6 2390), but dun like how d agent handled d situation.

does d warranty oni apply 2 selected countries? :mad: can any1 here "shed some light" on tis issue.