A question for all you cavers...

vtunderground

Enlightened
If I was in the market for a new caving headlamp, the Fenix HP10 would look pretty good to me. You might want to leave the Zebralight on your helmet too, for when a flood beam would be more useful (like when climbing breakdown piles, or negotiating small passages).

ryan162

Banned
Re: How durable is the Fenix HP10.....

You have posted 2 threads on the same topic, which is prohibited by Rule 9. Please read the rules.

Threads merged.

No offense, but you have 48 threads in 120 posts... Not saying that's a bad thing, but could you please take a little time to review other threads on the subjects you are wondering about, before starting a whole new thread? Repeat threads make searching for good info harder for everyone, especially new people here...

really? lol. this guys wants to actually take some flashlights out of the wrapper and he gets a background post check and his two threads merged. :thumbsdow.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because they were on the same topic. He could have either asked his questions about the HP10 in this thread, or one of several currently active ones.

It's all about searching for information. So often new members here type a new thread on a subject that is easily researched, asking the same questions a noob asked 10 hours before. Duplicate/multple (unnecessary) threads on the same topic make it harder for Everyone to search for good, useful information on the topic at hand.

Also, many new members, Brian321 included fail to post details about what they want. Instead, as we see here, it turns into a thread-bashing fest, with many varying opinions on what is "best" for the undefined parameters. The more information about prospective uses of the light a person gives us, the more we are able to help them. Realistically, there is probably no need to lug a 35watt HID torch through a cave. It's an unrealistic need. But because we don't have any info on what the prospective buyer thinks will best fit their needs, someone might suggest doing just that.

That is why the two threads were combined.

ryan162

Banned
seriously this is a forum. it will never fit a version of searchable perfection...it exists to talk about flashlights. there is no thread bashing... just opinons...you know kinda like a forum instead of a well laid out dissertation.
but you've made your point....this is CPF!

Egsise

Banned

Yes, but according his posts he is searching about the best setup for caving. I dont think the HL20 is better than the HL10 for that porpouse (runtime is too short). I fact, I am pretty sure they designed the HL10 for caving in mind.
Interesting thing that I found, HL20 48 lumens runtime 5.5 hours, HP10 50 lumens runtime 22 hours.
Thats according the manufacturer specs.

The HP10 4xAA efficiency is poor as with HL20 1xAA, that can't be right...

I have tried to change the HL20 battery when it's mounted on my helmet, single battery change can be done even in total darkness.

But the OP is ready to spend 300$, so perhaps it's better to forget these Fenix models.

DM51

Flashaholic

really? lol. this guys wants to actually take some flashlights out of the wrapper and he gets a background post check and his two threads merged. :thumbsdow.
ryan162... you are not a new member, but you obviously visit infrequently, so you escape sanction on this occasion. However, please be sure to read Rule 8, which prohibits discusson of moderator actions. You will not receive a further warning if you repeat this offense.

ryan162

Banned

total thread jack here but i visit frequently to stay on top of whats new for use in mine exploring and on deployments. i contribute very little because of the forums over zealous moderation (ex: formally merging everything into the budget roundup) and often rude atmosphere toward new and/or common flashlight users. i certainly wouldn't want any "sanction" lol, so ill continue contributing elsewhere as clearly layed out in Rule #8 paragraph one lol

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting thing that I found, HL20 48 lumens runtime 5.5 hours, HP10 50 lumens runtime 22 hours.
Thats according the manufacturer specs.

The HP10 4xAA efficiency is poor as with HL20 1xAA, that can't be right...
Maybe they're working on actual (low Vf) R2 XP-E figures, but datasheet (3v7 Vf) figures for the XR-E Q5s, or just using the same efficiency estimates for boost and buck drivers, or even put a lot of effort into getting the best possible boost circuit for the HL20, but less so for the HP10.

What is the best economically feasible boost efficiency?

DM51

Flashaholic

total thread jack here but i visit frequently to stay on top of whats new for use in mine exploring and on deployments. i contribute very little because of the forums over zealous moderation (ex: formally merging everything into the budget roundup) and often rude atmosphere toward new and/or common flashlight users. i certainly wouldn't want any "sanction" lol, so ill continue contributing elsewhere as clearly layed out in Rule #8 paragraph one lol
Following your deliberate defiance of the warning given to you, it won't surprise you to now find yourself suspended. Your suspension is provisionally for 1 week, but it will now be subject to review by CPF staff and it may be extended.

kevinm

Enlightened
I want!

Gordon

Worst....idea....ever....

First, you'll be blinded by 200 lumens on the wall 0.5 inches from your nose where you had to take your helmet off because the passage if 6.5inches tall there.

Then, when you fall 200ft into a pit people will see you flailing all the way down! :D

God, I love caving!

Kevin

Empath

Flashaholic

Following your deliberate defiance of the warning given to you, it won't surprise you to now find yourself suspended. Your suspension is provisionally for 1 week, but it will now be subject to review by CPF staff and it may be extended.

It appears that he voluntarily, permanently banned himself. Adjustment made.

wingnut86

Banned
Merging of threads gets a little annoying, especially when its your thread. And even more so when your thread is merged with another that is about a totally different product...Like this one. And even MORE SO, when the mods don't even tell you, they just do it, kind of like this thread...You Modzillas should lighten up a bit. Somebody who obviously gets laid WAY more than you Modzillas, (ryan162) had a valid point, and argument, and you jack assess chased him away.

Now go ahead and merge this thread once again, I mean, it has gone off topic hasn't it?? Why not merge it with this one?? They're kind of the same, right?? Close enough?????? Go for it, you know you want to 51......:bow:

:banned:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worst....idea....ever....
Actually, I figure it would dim your light so that when you come across a really long small squeeze (the guys in my caving club can probably guess what squeeze I have in mind here) and your forehead starts dripping with sweat your headlamp will automatically dim so you can't see the squeeze any more. Similarly when you come to the top of a really big drop you need to abseil down. Problem solved. Right?

Edit: I apparently clocked up my 4000th post with this. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh ... 2 CPF suicide bombers in a row .......

That self-destructed themselves !

WOW ......... they had short fuses too !

( I'm glad we have Super Moderators )

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
This thread has degraded enough that I may not be able to offer much useful information but here goes. . .

I cave a lot in big borehole passages where maximum output lets me see the whole cave. People with 60 lumen lights don't see anything but their immediate surroundings.

Your Zebralight is great for close up flood, but you need something to throw some lumens into the distance to really enjoy the caves.

Since you have a $300 budget or so, go with one of the cave-specific custom lamps. None of the plastic mainstream lights will compare with something truly built for the extreme environments found in caves.

Of course, plenty of my friends do very well with modified Apex's and similar 100+ lumen lights, especially when they have a supplemental hand held flashlight to throw some light where needed.

As far as I am concerned, I would rather strap two Rebel based MINI-Mags to either side of my helmet and get performance similar to some of the high end lights for 1/10 the cost and still have lights that are rather durable compared to the plastic lamps.

My custom light (Serv-Light 1.0 with 1 MC-E, 1 P7, and 1 P4) puts out about 450 lumens on high with a very clean combo of flood and throw that makes even the big borehole passages very well illuminated. For all the money I spend on gas driving to the caves, the least I can do is have the best light source I can get.

Last edited:

Latest posts