AA/AAA Light for gift

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a light as a present for my dad:
-long throw (or adjustable with good throw and good flood)
-bright (he's only had flood-style maglites and cheap flashlights, so I'm thinking 300+ lumens
-AA or AAA batteries (multiple is fine)
-modes don't matter too mutch, but simpler is probably better
-small for EDC, pocket carry
-under $50
-quality at least decent. Finding an asbolutely top brand isn't necessary (probably impossible given my requirements), but I don't want low quality - it's hard to sort the good Chinese brands from the poor ones on Amazon. They all have really high ratings.

The SureFire G2X Pro would fit the bill perfectly if not for the uncommon batteries. Olight ST25-XML2 looks good, and takes AA batteries, but I'm worried that the "burst" of 500 lumens is an exageration and impossible with those batteries. The Thrunite Archer 2AV2 also looks good but might be a bit long for pocket carry.

My only real reference point is my Maglite XL 50. I've enjoyed that light a lot but have recently became aware of modern tactical flashlights.

Any suggestions? Do I need to adjust my requirements?

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Poppy. I agree that the Oxyled isn't an appropriate gift.

The ST-25 is looking good, but now I'm also considering some combos on Amazon that include battery rechargers:
Fenix 035UE
Fenix UC30
Olight S10R

I feel that this means I don't need to ONLY consider standard batteries.

Also, any thoughts on the Fenix LD-41? It's 54 on Amazon and takes AAs.

Mill321

Newly Enlightened
What about one of the zebralights, such as the sc5 or sc52? I think they meet most of your criteria (with the controversial exception of the User Interface). Some people find it simple and some don't However, they are usually robust, compact, good throw and flood balance, nice beam color options and deep carry pocket. clips. I actually did gift and sc62 to my dad, so am a bit biased.

morninglightmountain

Newly Enlightened
What about one of the zebralights, such as the sc5 or sc52? I think they meet most of your criteria (with the controversial exception of the User Interface). Some people find it simple and some don't However, they are usually robust, compact, good throw and flood balance, nice beam color options and deep carry pocket. clips. I actually did gift and sc62 to my dad, so am a bit biased.

Thanks, but it looks like neither of those models are currently available. Home Depot has the Coast HP7 on sale for $25, so I might go with that.