• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

calflash

Enlightened
I don't have the AA configuration but none of the Mcgizmo lights including the haiku I have can be locked out by twisting except the aqua/terra series.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the AA configuration but none of the Mcgizmo lights including the haiku I have can be locked out by twisting except the aqua/terra series.

OK, so what you're saying is that as soon as the Pak (with battery) is attached, even if it's not fully screwed in, the light can be activated via the switch?

Ekpon

Newly Enlightened
Hi, this is my first time on CPF. I've been lurking in this forum for over a year now. And this addition to the Mcgizmos made me finally save up my money for a Haiku. I'm just waiting for Don to reply. Already really excited.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious to see how everyone is doing with the AA as their EDC? I just picked up a pair of Eneloop Pro's (2450 @ 1.2) and I'm looking for something to test them in. Any suggestions?

benchrest

Newly Enlightened
I use a Nichia 119V in a Mule AA every dusk at work. Absolutely love it. I cut a hole in an old hat and have stuck the clip through so I can read lists. The low even lights up most of my path immediately at my feet {5'11"} slightly further all around and the high does extremely well. A Nichia 119V AA Sundrop would be super...and of course a Haiku would naturally follow. It depends what you want it to do.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Nichia 119V in a Mule AA every dusk at work. Absolutely love it. I cut a hole in an old hat and have stuck the clip through so I can read lists. The low even lights up most of my path immediately at my feet {5'11"} slightly further all around and the high does extremely well. A Nichia 119V AA Sundrop would be super...and of course a Haiku would naturally follow. It depends what you want it to do.

Thanks for the reply. I've been lurking/posting in this thread now for a good year or so having moved over completely to AA from CR2/123's. I just found out about Eneloop so that's going to be fun :).

What I want to do? I want one light that does everything in a pocket-able form factor, with fantastic tint, and gives me access to readily available batteries with long run time as the primary concern. Second to that is aesthetics and design of the light. I'm a fan of the slim, streamlined light (Mule, Sundrop) not the others (Haiku). The trade-off is worrying though since the beam on the Sundrop/Mule is much less useful in a variety of situations. (Subjective..)

What frustrates me is the lack of dimensions on these lights. I've been trying to approximate dimensionality for all of the AA combinations via photos and it doesn't quite work.

I've been chasing this version of a holy grail for the last five or so years. With Don's lights and Enrique offering the Spinner I think that AA is finally getting some love.

Last edited:

benchrest

Newly Enlightened
I know what you mean by the AA form. It does seem to be gaining love among our community as of late.

I have a few McGizmo's but only one "do it all" EDC, the LunaSol 20.3. It's a CR123 however. If there ever was another version of the LunaSol in a AA platform, it would be my ultimate grail...other than a JH LF2XT Ti although that is a AAA.

As for dimensions, I forgot to do it for you today, but I will try to remember to measure out my AA Mule if that helps.

I'm a High CRI fan myself although the 4000K XM-L2 that was in my now traded PD Mule was perfect as well except for whitewall tests. In my opinion, Nichia 219B wins hands down for color tint and rendering.

What I meant for what do you want it to do was more about flood or throw? Close up or further out? Big, small, or no hotspot? How much spill? The Mule has massive spill, as would be obvious. I have read about a 'ringing' of the SubDrop beam, but in practicality, I'd doubt that would matter much or at all.

The spinner and mako are interesting. I have been eyeing Tain's Ottavino V2, but that is AAA also...have you seen his Ti Flute?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean by the AA form. It does seem to be gaining love among our community as of late.

I have a few McGizmo's but only one "do it all" EDC, the LunaSol 20.3. It's a CR123 however. If there ever was another version of the LunaSol in a AA platform, it would be my ultimate grail...other than a JH LF2XT Ti although that is a AAA.

As for dimensions, I forgot to do it for you today, but I will try to remember to measure out my AA Mule if that helps.

I'm a High CRI fan myself although the 4000K XM-L2 that was in my now traded PD Mule was perfect as well except for whitewall tests. In my opinion, Nichia 219B wins hands down for color tint and rendering.

What I meant for what do you want it to do was more about flood or throw? Close up or further out? Big, small, or no hotspot? How much spill? The Mule has massive spill, as would be obvious. I have read about a 'ringing' of the SubDrop beam, but in practicality, I'd doubt that would matter much or at all.

The spinner and mako are interesting. I have been eyeing Tain's Ottavino V2, but that is AAA also...have you seen his Ti Flute?

I have indeed. It's a great time for the AA lights.

I'd like to split the middle between your questions: flood or throw? Middle. Close up or further out? Middle. Big, small, or no hotspot? Small. How much spill? Not much.
Too far either way isn't my ideal candidate for an all around light.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
@PSM, I have a Tain Zenith Ti and an AA mule. I'll try to do a test tonight, but it looks like I'm working late. If you don't hear from me in a few days, send me a PM reminder.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'd like to split the middle between your questions: flood or throw? Middle. Close up or further out? Middle. Big, small, or no hotspot? Small. How much spill? Not much.
+1

Flood is great for close and relatively close midrange situations while throwy lights are great for cutting through or seeing far away, either benefitting from lack of light in the foreground, or suffering depending on the situation.

I really like the three bears idea when it comes to an all around light: too much throw, too little throw, and just right.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It not only works, but looks good. The diameter of the mule head is the same as the Zenith body. There is a small gap between the head and body - not sure if this because the AA was not straight (don't have a sleeve from Oveready) or what. The Zenith's electric switch worked perfectly. The Zenith body is shorter than the AA pak. Sorry, no pictures tonight, but a nice lego.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
It not only works, but looks good. The diameter of the mule head is the same as the Zenith body. There is a small gap between the head and body - not sure if this because the AA was not straight (don't have a sleeve from Oveready) or what. The Zenith's electric switch worked perfectly. The Zenith body is shorter than the AA pak. Sorry, no pictures tonight, but a nice lego.

Yoyoman, thank you for checking! :)

benchrest

Newly Enlightened
I measured my mule AA at 10.5mm or roughly 4 3/8th"...this was done using a leatherman wave so it's by no means precise.

I recall you saying you dislike the aesthetics of the haiku, but an XM-L AA Haiku is the best current model, IMO. The LunaSol is what you are really after, if you can find one. The LunaSol has separate LED's for flood and throw. It is the ideal EDC for me, as I keep mentioning :grin:

Can anyone else help out BMstrong?

I have indeed. It's a great time for the AA lights.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured my mule AA at 10.5mm or roughly 4 3/8th"...this was done using a leatherman wave so it's by no means precise.

I recall you saying you dislike the aesthetics of the haiku, but an XM-L AA Haiku is the best current model, IMO. The LunaSol is what you are really after, if you can find one. The LunaSol has separate LED's for flood and throw. It is the ideal EDC for me, as I keep mentioning :grin:

Can anyone else help out BMstrong?

Thanks. I haven'y held a LunaSol in quite some time. If I remember correctly, a CR123 based light?