AAA thrower

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titan plus got 1100 lux. Found a selfbuild review and the l3 illumination l08 got 1750 lux (84 meters).

Last edited:

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Thinking this is the fourth time I will have mentioned this light and every time the response has been the distant sound of crickets...

Tinywind has a Trustfire Z-10 last time I looked; about $20 retail. 10440 does it justice, heavy, gold coated brass, significantly tighter hotspot than stock Tool, decent cool tint, tenacious trustworthy clip, recessed tail clicky that has never activated unless intended, did I mention heavy? It is not an issue to me in pocket, helps with the heat build up. Good grip for sure, the finish has started to wear because of much use (favorite clip/pocket single 10440/AAA).
Had a look and may give it a go though I have to say its a bit "bling" for me.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
If i remember correlctly the l3 illumination l08, have a bigger head than the standard aaa lights. That should in theory, give a advantage in the throw department. Dont own one, so not sure about how well it throws. But i remember i wanted one because of the slightly bigger head compared to the "standard" aaa's. Might be worth checking out.
I'll have a look

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
blindedbythenight - sadly, the fox was too quick for my camera. The Surefire Titan Plus is quite floody - but throws quite well due to sheer output. As someone has pointed out in this thread, the issue is that the reflector is quite shallow. It's a great light, though.
Its quite pricey for a stock light though...may splash out the extra and go for a vinh aaa....or hide the credit card bill and do both [emoji6]

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone done a Cree xq-e HI yet?

Looks really nice. Just put some of them in the shopping chart, but cant find a 10mm sinkpad for them.. I dont think i can reflow them on a standard 10mm sinkpad for xp-e/xp-g. So i need to fnd a 10mm for qx-e. Just got a warm tought of buying a l3 illumination l08, and mod it with a xq-e hi. If the l08 does 1750 lux with a big old led and a 1,5V battery, it must rock with a xq-e hi and a 10440 :) But it seems it's hard to find small sinkpads for the xq-e hi, so the dream is crushed.. for now :(

_nw

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a Peak Eiger with the narrow optic?

Specific info on these lights is kinda hard to come by but I plan on trying one out at some point.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
I have looked far and wide for this answer, unfortunately nobody is using this led, from what I could find. I have an xq-e in my nitecore mt06 and it performs great, but still wish someone would use xqe-hi in a pen light or small thrower

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Maybe a Peak Eiger with the narrow optic?

Specific info on these lights is kinda hard to come by but I plan on trying one out at some point.
What a brilliant find, thank you. The peak eiger narrow optic or the ultra or the X all look spot on. Currently trawling the netnfor some beam shots.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
How did we ever get by before the internet? Can you imagine trying to research something as esoteric as the throw on small AAA lights?
Haha...but before the internet I would have lived in ignorant bliss! My solitaire maglite and 4xD cell maglite ruled the world! Without the internet I would no doubt own lights made by duracell or a supermarket and have a life....

As it is...I spend at least...and I mean at least an hour a day browsing this forum drooling at other peoples lights, researching my next purchase and then watching countless videos on torches. My wife thinks its hilarious.
After a purchase I have deleted this app and sworn I have enough lights...until about three days later when I am looking for my next one.

An encyclopedia or an intelligent friend used to be my source of info...all hail Tim Burners Lee ( i think thats his name...I'll just google it).