Advice on Emergency LED flaslight please

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
Re: Advice on Emergency LED flashlight please

I have a 10W solar panel, and an AccuManager 2020 which runs nicely off 12 volts for just such scenarios... well, not the zombies, but ten day power outages are not unthinkable in the mountains.

After that, it doesn't matter much what the light is: I favor UK lights - bright, robust, cheap - but that's just a personal preference for function over frill.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

no way.
mount the 4 on your streetsweeper(belt or drum fed shotgun)

[ QUOTE ]
symes said:

You need to get an Arc 4+ for the Zombies...

Flash it once then just throw it at them, run, and by the time they have figured out how it works you'll be miles away

Sorry, just my sense of humor.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Aten_Imago said:
StayInThe Light
Your question is Very Relevant but the Requirements may be a little Dubious.This might help you.
I took an EM course last year and came away with the conclusion that the best emergency tool is not the same as the best survival tool.The contexts are different, even as they are overlaping.
Here are the emergency tool requirements:
EM tool...
1)At hand when an emergency occurs- allowing for near instant response
2)Withstands the emmediate challenges of the specific emergency (Flood, Fire, etc..)
3)Takes the longest forecast emergency duration into consideration.
Now here are the survival tool requirements
1) Ensures total independence from outside assistance
3)Takes longest forecasted survival duration into consideration
4) Assumes a generic context or specific context depending on the survivor. In other words, what are you trying to survive?
In your case, my guessed predicament would be a flood or boating incident requiring a long period on open water or near open water without assistance from rescue or infrastructure.
The Solar Multi-Purpose Flashlight Warning Light & Charger- Special Sale: $19.95 http://store.sundancesolar.com/inhanpowflas.html
or...Micro Forever LED Flashlight $24.95 http://store.sundancesolar.com/mifoledflnob.html seem to fit the bill. My money would go into the Micro Forever since it doesn't require sunshine at all-a welcome feature if you've been trapped in a cave and are treading water for days on end with no sunshine in sight! For those extended open air survival or camping excursions, you might consider a Luxeon 2AA or 3AA flashlight ( of which there are many to choose from) and a flexible Solar Panel Charger.$39.95 No floatability here, but hey...you can easily make anything float if you stick into the right container, or attach a chunk of expanded polyeurethane or other floatable to a lanyard.
http://store.sundancesolar.com/flsobachfor4.html
Just so you know, I have both EM & Survival Plans as well as EDC 'tools'. My EM tools are response specific. My Survival Gear changes based on my context and forecast. I sometimes move gear from one category to another but each 'Go/Jump' bad and Survival stash has dedicated tools as well. Probably my most versatile Go/Jump kit is a 'Photojournalist or Safari Vest that is loaded to go at Tier 1- my bedroom. I can live out of that vest in any situation for 4 days and light my way for 7 nights.Tier 2 is my car, Tier 3 my basement and Tier 4- is Unspecified.FYI- The web is full of excellent resources, including CPF for answering all your EM & Survival question. Obviously, much of it is opinion related but keep an eye on FEMA.gov and related sites.
Good Luck and stay safe!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with AI's about the products on sundancesolar and the analysis. Still…

I can't but be disappointed in that the Ginseng Aurora project was not as revolutionary as could be hoped for (drugs kickin in?). I was sort of hoping Ginseng was a true mad scientist of Einstein genius, and had secretly (I mean, there was sooooo much secrecy going on about the Aurora project) developed a new form of cold fusion, and had designed the new zombie killing death ray flashlight. Guess we'd call it the ArcWTF-Fusion! I sort of imagined harnessing a miniature fusion style reaction, and cramming it into a nice small cool running Arc format such that you'd have an eye blinding output similar to what we see here at the top of this pyramid (like I said, drugs kickin in?).

image001.jpg

Seriously, a few more pics. the only seemingly viable solar/floating/water resistant flashlight out there. I'd get the one with the FM radio though…surely after a nuclear war, there'd be some hippie on an island who survived in a hardened nuclear silo, who'd need to broadcast some tunes to keep some sanity??? FM radio version of solar/water resistant/floating flashlight

Looks like you might be able to get into the head/reflector, maybe you could put a expensive 3w Luxeon in there for more throw, or cost effective longer runtime with a 1w TerraLux Maxstar, given it can run off of 4 AA 2300ma NiMH's??? Terralux LED light engines(Maxistar pending)

I would never put all of my eggs in one basket for survivalist endeavors. 1st thing you must do with that flashlight though…is mod. this light! Drop in the PR potted LED's. Supposedly it can recharge 2 NiMH AA's while running off of 2 other NiMH AA's. So get lots of the newest 2300 Sanyo made AA NiMH's. Next year maybe, we'll have a higher capacity Li-rechargeable tech., but that's next year. Nightstar II shaker light, and the Russian made(more robust plastic/metal construction, flood/spot adjustable) Dynamo style squeeze light at this site:
Squeeze powered flood-spot flashlight

Pack assortment of Lithium primary's for various lights, and have a commercial variation of the milkyspit marathon LED light, like a few of these PAL Led in the pocket.
Pocket sized long run LED

Bigger sized rollup solar panel w/Maha 777 Li-Ion/polymer, NiCad,NimH, multicharger stuffed in the backpack
Maha 777 charger & fold up 'roll' solar panel

75w larger solar panel strapped to the backpack for realistic fast-charge, via RC charger (can't waste time, can't afford to wait 2 days for those Maha 11A D-cells to slow charge, those zombie's will get you before then!). Enough juice to power an inverter, to run minimal electrical devices.
75w 4.4A Biggggg, solar panel

Wonder which of these are most fail-safe though. Doesn't the Space Shuttle run on redundant 80286 or 80386 Intel chips, because they are more resistant to various forms of radiation in space? What happens if in the coming Armageddon, we have these kinds of radiation…which of the electronics will survive the longest? Put matches and candle w/reflecting sheet metal mirror in you survival bag?

Too much for this city slicker to comprehend; I'm just waiting for the Ginseng designed ArcWTF-Fusion! light of unlimited power, in flashing mode, able to be seen from Mars???

I'd have duplicates of everything up here, as there is always a chance of failure of the power sources, the light's electronics, defects, damage etc.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, :0