Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

scout24

Flashaholic
No guess on lux numbers, but it's a 75 yard light in my world. Anything past that and you'd need a Fleiger. :p Shallow reflector, not beating the heck out of the emitters with overdrive, it's meant as a mixed beam, up-close edc light in my opinion.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
No guess on lux numbers, but it's a 75 yard light in my world. Anything past that and you'd need a Fleiger. :p Shallow reflector, not beating the heck out of the emitters with overdrive, it's meant as a mixed beam, up-close edc light in my opinion.

Very helpful. I think he made the right call on the floodier center beam. This way you get a light that is perfect for up close and mid distances without any compromises. Then one can switch to a dedicated thrower if the situation will need it.

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
6cdf965d2d602759f70e98e2906628e6.jpg

Last edited:

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Battery question: On their proprietary 18350 battery it says not to discharge below 2.75 volts. Is this the resting voltage or voltage under load? The reason I ask is that Muyshondt representatives say that the Beagle falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts. So when the Beagle drops out of regulation, that means one has discharged the battery below Muyshondt's 2.75 recommendation. This doesn't seem right to me. What would be the point of that? It would make sense to make the regulation drop out at say 2.8. That way, the end user could be positive they didn't over discharge the battery past 2.75 if they turned it off immediately. Could someone shed some light on this for me?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Hey. Thanks for the reply. I think you have some good general advice. However, I'm unclear if you answered any of my questions. Specifically, the battery says not to go below 2.75 yet the light won't cut off until it gets to 2.7. I hypothesised that the 2.75 on the battery refers to resting voltage. What are your thoughts on this?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hey. Thanks for the reply. I think you have some good general advice. However, I'm unclear if you answered any of my questions. Specifically, the battery says not to go below 2.75 yet the light won't cut off until it gets to 2.7. I hypothesised that the 2.75 on the battery refers to resting voltage. What are your thoughts on this?

I am not familiar with that particular battery, beyond the statement on the wrapper that it is an IMR18350.

However, speaking generally, I would not be comfortable keeping any cell that has stayed below 3.0V for any significant duration, and do not intentionally discharge cells of this type below 3.5V .... In fact, I specifically try to avoid this type of overdischarge.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
I frequently top my batteries off too. I like to keep them in the 40-80 range. When you reference 3.0, and 3.5, you are talking about resting voltage, right?

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
yes I agree it refers to resting voltage. The beagle accepts both Primary Lithium and Rechargeable LiIon, but has no built in LiIon protection.To me this suggests the Beagle can't tell a CR123 from a LiIon, which would be necessary if there was to be built in LiIon protection, like HDS has, and still retain the ability to run a CR123 down below 2.7v.I think I read recently that Zebralight has abandoned dual chemistry circuits, with built in protection, because they wanted to reduce the size of the electronics.. Like HDS, Zebras could detect whether the cell was Primary or LiIon, and enable or disable protection automatically.. (I hope I got that right)I wonder if there is a protected cell that fits the Beagle, as an option for those times when protection is a priority, for example when lending the light to granny, who might fall asleep while it is in candle mode :) (probably safest to not lend out unprotected LiIon lights, maybe lend them loaded w non-LiIon instead)Other lights, like the Reylight Pineapples, are similar to the beagle in that they are dual chemistry, without built in protection.

No protection but the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts. They advertise that one can use protected 18350's. So when the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts, is that violating the warning on the 18350 battery that says not to discharge below 2.75 volts?

Last edited:

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Yes, open circuit voltage (no load)

Considering the warning label on the battery says to not discharge the battery below 2.75 volts. When the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts, does that mean I violated the warning label on the battery?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have neither this particular flashlight, nor this particular battery, so I don't really have further info for you beyond what I've already posted ... :shrug:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
They advertise that one can use protected 18350's. So when the light falls out of regulation at 2.7 volts, is that violating the warning on the 18350 battery that says not to discharge below 2.75 volts?
I suggest you contact Muyshondt directly.

Last edited:

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
I would not intentionally use a LiIon at 2.7v, so "falling out of regulation" at that voltage is not something I would be wanting to experience anyway.

If you get a protected LiIon, it also will not run down below 2.75, because protection will have kicked in, hopefully sooner (I do have some protected cells that shut off at 2.75v, but I think others shut off sooner)

"Falling out of regulation at 2.7v" is not relevant to the operation of LiIon, Imo it is in regards to how a Lithium Primary will behave, not a recommendation for how to use a LiIon.

We are just guessing here, I suggest you contact Muyshondt directly.

I searched for some protected 18350 batteries and the ones I found had a 2.5 voltage shutoff. The only reply I can get out of Muyshondt is on their FB group. The reply was, "When the Beagle falls out of power regulation, operating dimly and not providing full brightness, you should recharge or replace the batteries. The Beagle does not regulate below 2.7 volts." I will try and send them another email. It's like pulling teeth to get a straight answer out of them sometimes.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
I have neither this particular flashlight, nor this particular battery, so I don't really have further info for you beyond what I've already posted ... :shrug:

If you did have the battery and light, what info would you be looking for? Since I have both, I could run some tests or read info from the battery or light that you would do if you had them.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you did have the battery and light, what info would you be looking for? Since I have both, I could run some tests or read info from the battery or light that you would do if you had them.

We are just guessing here, I suggest you contact Muyshondt directly.

I don't care to speculate, but I do think you've been provided info that may be useful in making your own decisions.

If you want definitive guidance, I agree with Jon ... you should contact the manufacturer.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
Maybe do a test.. Do you have a light meter and a volt meter?

I have an unprotected 18350 IMR in one of my lights, that has no built in OverDischarge protection.

I wanted to know how low the voltage would be, when the light went noticeably dim (no high mode, no medium mode, and low mode dimmer than usual)

I ran the light on high mode, and used a voltmeter and a light meter, every 10 minutes.

I learned that my light will dim to about 1 lumen, below 2.8v (modes on a full LiIon charge are 5-50-200)
that gave me confidence that I would notice the loss of the other modes, long before the cell went below 2.8...

In practice one of the things I also noticed is that in conditions where I would usually use medium mode, If the battery is run down, I find myself switching to high mode, because medium is too dim.. then I realize I have no high mode, and that I need to charge the battery. Sometimes I notice when High mode is too dim, but I don't use that mode as often..

Enjoy your Beagle!:)

Nice. I have a voltmeter but no light meter. However, I trust their info that the light will fall out of regulation at 2.7 volts. What I really want to know is if at that exact moment it falls out of regulation, if that is below the 2.75 warning on the battery. Thanks for trying to help. I love the Beagle. I don't remember, do you have one?

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
I don't care to speculate, but I do think you've been provided info that may be useful in making your own decisions.

If you want definitive guidance, I agree with Jon ... you should contact the manufacturer.

No worries. I thought you were implying that if you had the "particular flashlight" and battery, you would have further info. To be clear, I don't want anyone to speculate. What specific "info" are you referencing that I was provided that is useful in determining whether the proprietary battery is below the 2.75 volts warning label when the flashlight falls out of regulation? I have contacted the manufacturer a week ago with no response. Thanks for trying to help.