Any interest in a Midwestern (Ohio) get-together?

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Slight possibility my 11 year old son will tag along, other than that it's me only.

Where and when are we planning on meeting? I'd like to compare Google Maps and Mapquest to see if they agree :) Also, does our host have a sweet tooth, or like wine or beer? I'd like to bring a small Thank you.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are meeting at BrightGuy! The address is on their web site. If you want to have a phone number other than theirs, PM me and I will email you my cell number in case you get lost or something.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slight possibility my 11 year old son will tag along, other than that it's me only.

Where and when are we planning on meeting? I'd like to compare Google Maps and Mapquest to see if they agree :) Also, does our host have a sweet tooth, or like wine or beer? I'd like to bring a small Thank you.

As far as stuff to bring, that's up to you. I don't know if Greg would want anything. Beer is always good as far as I'm concerned though :) My tastes are simple - good old American stuff like MGD is fine! Got a hankering to try some Yuangling too.

Aaaaaanyway :), bring what you see fit. Brightguy is supplying pizza.

mspeterson

Enlightened
I would be happy to provide another contact phone number if necessary...

Also, I just spoke with Greg and it would be his preference to have a non-alchoholic event on store premisses, BUT, there is a nice bar just up the street a few blocks if anyone would like to relax after all the insanity and imbibe in a beverage or four! I'll lead the way, and your first Yuangling is on me, Mike!:party::buddies::drunk:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yuengling is not available in Ohio. I have to drive to Erie to get it or get my favorite niece to drag some in when she comes to visit. And I agree - non-alcoholic is best.

But the bar after sounds OK to me! If there is one thing the area is known for it's the density of bars per square mile :)

Last edited:

kashmir

Newly Enlightened
:sigh: Can't make it on the 17th-the better half had a dinner set up with some friends. Oh well, hope you guys have fun! Let us know how it went.

Don

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomorrow night is the day!

Ummm, well, OK. Maybe not *day* :)

6PM, Brightguy. Be there! PM me if you need a contact number, and of course Brightguys is on their website.

Bring your coolest, biggest, baddest, smallest, slickest lights. See you all tomorrow evening, and be careful driving in!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Well, I just got back from the gathering at BrightGuy and it was a lot of fun! First I'd like to publicly thank Greg, Tina and Mike from BrightGuy for their hospitality and food! They are a class act. :twothumbs I'd also like to thank MikeLip for setting this up!

I saw some familiar faces from the last get-together (Mark and Hannah, Mr & Mrs Yak28) as well as several new faces (Rich, Barry, Tom, Dan, Shane and Roy). Oh, amd MikeLip of course.

We compared several HIDs, including WolfEyes, Maxabeam, PowerOnBoard (Sams Club) and another one whose name escapes me at the moment. The Wolfeyes had the coolest battery carrier with tiny SMT red LEDs inside to indicate when the batteries are installed correctly (great idea).

During the obligatory beamshot session out back, the Maxabeam easily outclassed my Sams Club HID in beam tightness and throw, although all of them were impressive against the dark rainy sky.

Back inside there was an awesome assortment of lights to play with. I was impressed with the 2AA 180 lumen Fenix (I think it was an L2D Q5) as well as the NovaTac EDC 120T. I like the strobe mode on both of them.

Many other lights too numerous to mention. It was a great get-together and I enjoyed swapping stories with fellow flashaholics in person. Thanks again everyone!
:wave:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Sams Club HID was impressive - I have GOT to get one! My favorite HID though was the Acro. It didn't have the throw of the Maxabeam (which has to be seem to be believed) or Surefire HID lightbox, but it just poured out the light - real nice warm tint too!

Tonight was lots of fun and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks everyone for coming!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Here's the photos of the gathering...

gathering.jpg

table_of_goodies.jpg

MikeLipp, the instigator, examines a light
mike.jpg

Tom, Mark (Yak28), Rich and Roy
tom_mark_rich_roy.jpg

Shane (mspeterson), Tom and Tina
shane_tom_tina.jpg

Roy holding an Arc for the audience. Barry and Roy face the camera.
roy_arc.jpg

Rich tests out an HID in a dark hallway
rich_w_hid.jpg

Mike and Roy check out the lights on the table
mike_roy.jpg

Mike, Rich and Roy check out the lights at the front carousel
mike_rich_roy.jpg

(L to R) Mike, Greg and Tina from Brightguy and Hannah (Mrs Yak28)
mike_greg_tina_hannah.jpg

Mike examines an HID while Greg and Rich look on
mike_greg_rich.jpg

Mark (Yak28), Dan and Rich examine an Arc
mark_dan_rich.jpg

Dan and Mark check out the SureFires. Barry standing slightly out of frame.
dan_mark.jpg

Dan and Hannah chat during dinner
dan_hannah.jpg

Out in the back, ready to pierce the darkness!
beamshots1.jpg

Wow, those things are bright!
beamshots2.jpg

Left to right, front row -
MikeLip holds his Wolfeyes 10w, Greg with the Sams Club HID
and Shane with the Maxabeam.
Back row -
Shane, Roy, Barry and others look on.
beamshots3.jpg

It was nice to meet everyone tonight. I had a blast!

Last edited:

Tombeis

Enlightened
Great meeting! Thanks Mikelip for pulling this togather. Greg,Tina and Mike Atwell were perfect hosts as usual.

Thanks to all who attended and brought your special flashlight "friends." I learned a lot.

Lets do it again!

TOM

P.S. Tina, the Buckeyes pullover was a little bright don't you think?