Any retail stores out there still sell decent flashlights?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in Walmart the other day and wasn't shocked to see Ozark Trails and Coast as basically the only lights available for sale. Not only that.. insulting as it may be they were actually in display cases. And not even a Maglite to be seen anywhere. Target seems pretty much the same way or worse noawadays. Any stores out there still sell decent flashlights? Even the sporting goods stores around here are pretty iffy.

3_gun

Enlightened
Several here in NE Ohio carry Streamlight, Surefire & Fenix but selections/models are often lower cost entry level items

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My local Lowes has some Energizer lights to go with Lux Pro and Coast.
WalMart has Ozark Trail, some Rayovac and lots of Coast product
Home Depot has Defiant, Millwalkee, Coast and Energizer.
Local Ace hardware has Coast and Lux Pro on the shelf but their web site has some Maglite products.

To find Streamlight or SureFire the locally owned hunting/fishing gear store or police outfitter is where to go.

The only Maglite product I see at a store anymore is new old stock.

hamhanded

Enlightened
I'd love it so much if I could buy an HDS rotary as an impulse buy in a store.

Then again, if they were mass produced and in a store, I wouldn't be so interested in them, would I…

Lumen83

Enlightened
Bass pro shops used to sell Surefires. They still might. Haven't been there in about a decade.

Burgess

Flashaholic
My local Wal-Marts had Clearance Sale
on Mag-Lights perhaps 5 years ago.
Classic incand. AA Mini-Maglights for $ 5 each.
(including 2 additional bulbs !)

47 Lumen LED Solitaires for $ 7 each.

Bought a buncha' BOTH,
in various pretty colors !

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart sells Bushnell. Their lithium and lithium ion lights are decent. They have a 1000 lumen Energizer 18650 headlight that isn't bad. Some of those cheaper brand lights now are lithium ion and very bright. They have 18650 lights in the $25 range. Bass Pro sells Surefires. REI sells Fenix, Petzl, Goal Zero, Luci, Luminaid. Maglites are best found in Home Depot, Walmart, and Target around Black Friday. They usually have some sort of gift set.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Manhattan used to have a bunch of stores that were Authorized SureFire dealers. But nearly all of them got caught discounting. Big No-no. All lost their A.D. status. Practically all of them became Authorized Dealers for Inova instead. (A few years before Inova was acquired by Nite-Ize.) Nearly all of them went out of business too. 1990s and early 2000s was the best time to buy lights at B&M stores.

There's Paragon Sporting Goods on 14th street. Used to go there all the time about a decade ago. Still there. One of the very few SureFire Authorized Dealers that never discounted. So, still have their A.D. status. Very good selection too. Also, for custom knives, as well as production knives. Lots of high-end, and very expensive outdoor gear. If you want it, and you're willing to pay; no need to order online and wait. Just go there and buy it, the horribly Old-Fashioned way.

But I got bored with Manhattan quite a few years back. So haven't been there in years. Yes, if you're a tourist, it's awesome and overwhelming! If you've lived here since 1979, it gets boring after a handful of decades.

Ironically, Home Depot has a good selection of lights right now.

Another vote for REI. There's one close to my home. Short drive away. Good for walking in and buying also very expensive outdoor gear, and a handful of Fenix models. Along with numerous headlamps.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about B&H photo on 9 th Av? I think I got my ML300 from them when they first came out (actually before they started calling them ML300, they were called 3rd gen Mags then).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, B&H is still around. Nice selection.
Though won't lie, I just order from them online.
Everything from them arrives literally next day for me.
Less of a hassle for me than actually going into Manhattan.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, if I lived close to B&H, I'd soon be flat broke!! :broke:

I got an Energizer 6xAA, triple-emitter neutral light at either Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember). Pretty awesome like for something like $25 out the door at a local store.

The downside is, some lights, like their 1xAA version, have a huge ramp-down after 10 minutes or so. There was no way to realize this until I'd already bought it 🤦‍♂️ so look for reviews if you can before purchasing some of the cheaper store-bought items.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
try home depot, they got better selection than walmart

This post is specific to the Metro Columbus Ohio area. River's Edge Cutlery is a large, well stocked knife and edged tool retailer located off the West Outer Belt (I-270). In addition to a broad and deep selection of edged tools, they carry a broad selection of pocket lights and good quality duty lights. If you're in the Columbus area it's well worth a visit. ( I'm just a customer, without any financial interest in the company.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This post is specific to the Metro Columbus Ohio area. River's Edge Cutlery is a large, well stocked knife and edged tool retailer located off the West Outer Belt (I-270). In addition to a broad and deep selection of edged tools, they carry a broad selection of pocket lights and good quality duty lights. If you're in the Columbus area it's well worth a visit. ( I'm just a customer, without any financial interest in the company.)
Thanks for the heads-up. Got a good friend who lives there. Will be visiting him in early 2023. Will have to stop by that place.