Anybody know Mac's status?

hig789

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear some people are getting their orders filled. Been almost 18 months for me and countless emails without a response. The only response I have got is when I told him id be mailing a check, he sent me a email a week later saying he hadn't received the check yet.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
it has been so long since I ordered my light from mac that I forgot about it until I saw this thread. ordered early December 2013. it is over a year and I never heard a word. lesson learned.

spydiesteve

Newly Enlightened
Well it has now been 4 months since I received an email saying "I will have you a tracking number shortly"!! Pretty sure its safe to say he is a crook.

boost_guy

Newly Enlightened
As somebody already stated he's running a vape shop and still doing machining work under the name "Mac Modz" and "CMAC". You can find him on various sites still modding and selling under different names, and doing so in the same fashion he did here. As in allowing massive backlogs of work to pile up, taking people's money and disappearing. Here's his FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/mac.modz.5

jkid1911

Enlightened
As somebody already stated he's running a vape shop and still doing machining work under the name "Mac Modz" and "CMAC". You can find him on various sites still modding and selling under different names, and doing so in the same fashion he did here. As in allowing massive backlogs of work to pile up, taking people's money and disappearing. Here's his FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/mac.modz.5

I'm not doubting....but if in fact that's him, that's down right sinful with all the pending orders he's sitting on. What a shame...

mustang90

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like Mac scabbed many out of their hard earned cash to fund his vape business. I'd crap all over his FB page if I hadn't gotten what I'd paid for months ago. A real shame as his lights and ingenuity were second to none. Always sketchy postings here and non existent emails for the several months it took for my order.

creyc

Enlightened
If you'd ordered one in 2013 or prior, you would've gotten it. I bought three lights from him and they all arrived on-schedule.

I've all but accepted the fact I'm never going to see the light I ordered July 2013. It's been 18 months and he's stopped responding to emails or PM's long ago.

d13avo

Enlightened
I've all but accepted the fact I'm never going to see the light I ordered July 2013. It's been 18 months and he's stopped responding to emails or PM's long ago.

This is terrible. I'm self employed and your customers are everything, an email, text message, phone call does not take long just to let your customers know that you have not forgotten them.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had kinda short-ish (about 2+ years) history with Mac...brilliant lightmaker, irresponsible and lousy businessman.

He would have a lot more success taking good care of his customers here, but I do know that he ran into financial difficulties and he had told me sometime back that he had wanted to exit this light business a far back as 2 years ago. At that time I though it would be foolish for him to do so and it won't make good financial sense for him to run away but unfortunately that's what he did. Many red flags was raised over the year and many of my lights was delayed for between 8 to 16 months. I ended up only purchase lights from him (thousand dollars at one go) only when he is ready to ship them out, so at least I have the protection from PayPal.

I think by now he have moved on so it would be a surprise if he even deliver any of the outstanding lights. I'm sure he would have looked over here (signed in as guest) once in awhile so I have this to say to Chris Mac...find a way within yourself and build all the lights that you owed to buyers. You are good at this so I hoped you will stay in this business and rebuild your trust and your customer base in a proper way. I don't think Mac set out to do this in bad faith but he ran into a financial storm and decided to take the easy way out. Everyone goes through that but we don't need to scarifies our integrity to get through all this hard time...you have your customer base and support here so if you decided to do the right thing, you know what to do. Karma's a *****, don't let it bite you!

d13avo

Enlightened
I have this to say to Chris Mac...find a way within yourself and build all the lights that you owed to buyers. You are good at this so I hoped you will stay in this business and rebuild your trust and your customer base in a proper way. I don't think Mac set out to do this in bad faith but he ran into a financial storm and decided to take the easy way out. Everyone goes through that but we don't need to scarifies our integrity to get through all this hard time...you have your customer base and support here so if you decided to do the right thing, you know what to do. Karma's a *****, don't let it bite you!

+1 that's good advice. I always wanted to purchase one of his lights and sent him a couple of private messages to which he did respond to quickly but at the time I couldn't afford the light I wanted. Gutted now as he's obviously not making anymore, shame! As they look superb.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

dfsutton

Newly Enlightened
I realized that I never updated this post with my result.

I pestered him for a few months with E-mails and when the claim period (6 months) on the Credit Card I used to pay was almost up I filed a dispute with my credit card. I would have liked to wait longer, but with all the negative reports, I didn't feel I could take that risk.

A day or two after I filed the claim (very conveniently, I might add) Mac emailed me saying the light was ready and that he would be shipping it. I didn't say anything about having filed a dispute because I knew that I could cancel it if I received the light, but that If I went ahead and canceled the dispute and he didn't end up sending the light, I would be SOL.

I didn't hear anything for 3 or 4 days and so I emailed mac back asking for an update. He replied saying that when he went to get my shipping address he saw the dispute I filed in his paypal and that because they put a hold on his account for the amount of my payment, he decided not to send the light. I asked him why he didn't notify me of this instead of making him track him down and he replied that he was "out of town".

Still wanting the light, I explained that I had filed the dispute in order to protect myself, but that I promised to cancel the dispute upon receiving the light. Mac informed me that because he no longer had the funds for the light that he would not be sending it to me.

Based upon the timing of the "completion" of my light, I believe that Mac was just hoping to get me to cancel my dispute and had no actual intention of shipping the light.
Overall, I am disappointed because I waited for 6 months in hopes of receiving a light but never got one. I know that it could have been worse, though and that I am fortunate that I actually got my money back.

gonefishing

Enlightened

I pestered him for a few months with E-mails and when the claim period (6 months) on the Credit Card I used to pay was almost up I filed a dispute with my credit card. I would have liked to wait longer, but with all the negative reports, I didn't feel I could take that risk.

A day or two after I filed the claim (very conveniently, I might add) Mac emailed me saying the light was ready and that he would be shipping it. I didn't say anything about having filed a dispute because I knew that I could cancel it if I received the light, but that If I went ahead and canceled the dispute and he didn't end up sending the light, I would be SOL.

I didn't hear anything for 3 or 4 days and so I emailed mac back asking for an update. He replied saying that when he went to get my shipping address he saw the dispute I filed in his paypal and that because they put a hold on his account for the amount of my payment, he decided not to send the light. I asked him why he didn't notify me of this instead of making him track him down and he replied that he was "out of town".

Still wanting the light, I explained that I had filed the dispute in order to protect myself, but that I promised to cancel the dispute upon receiving the light. Mac informed me that because he no longer had the funds for the light that he would not be sending it to me.

Based upon the timing of the "completion" of my light, I believe that Mac was just hoping to get me to cancel my dispute and had no actual intention of shipping the light.
Overall, I am disappointed because I waited for 6 months in hopes of receiving a light but never got one. I know that it could have been worse, though and that I am fortunate that I actually got my money back.

I had a similar experience, except timing and luck was on my side. I had emailed Mac religiously every week since I had placed my order. My emails were never threatening and the tone was always pleasant.

I had installed a mail tracker app on my Iphone that lets me know when and how long a person looks at my email, so I knew he was at least looking at my them. He had made promises to deliver my light and those dates came and gone, turned into weeks, then months. Finally I decided to file a complaint with PP. It was way pass the time frame but I figured I'd give it a shot. A week or so passes and still no word from Mac so I filed another complaint with the Internet fraud dept. That complaint generated an automated email stating that they had received my case and that it was in the system.

I sent a copy of my complaint to Mac and this time I told him that my next complaint would be to the local authorities. (not sure if it would have done any good, but I had nothing to lose at this point). A few more days go by and I decide to file a complaint with my bank. The complaint I filed with PP did nothing. A day or two later Mac replies stating that my light is in the mail and that he was sorry for everything. A tracking number was provided and a few short days later (felt like forever) my light arrived.

The very next day the complaint with my bank must have kicked in because Mac emails me saying " you get your light and you file a complaint with your bank to get your money back?"

I had explained to him that I had actually canceled all my complaints and sent him the confirmation emails to prove it.

That was the last I heard from him.

The whole thing is just terrible. I, like many of you, stalked CPF seeing if anyone received their light, or heard anything from him. He has a real talent, but is a terrible business man. I feel for those still waiting and I hope that there is some good that comes from all of this.

fyrstormer

Banned
Sad. I keep seeing stories like this. Gatlight, Lummi, ARCMania, now Mac...I wonder who will be next?

Custom-made products are hard to get, that's for sure. They take a huge amount of effort on the part of the people who make them, and I'm not sure any fully-custom operation that sells directly to private citizens is sustainable in the long-run. We just can't afford to pay the real cost of custom work.

Just think, if Mac had licensed his design to a company that could crank out flashlights by the dozen every day, they could've sold for half the price and been reliably available for the indefinite future. But then it wouldn't have that handmade quality to it, and people would be complaining about mass-production imperfections instead. There's no winning.

gonefishing

Enlightened
Sad. I keep seeing stories like this. Gatlight, Lummi, ARCMania, now Mac...I wonder who will be next?

Custom-made products are hard to get, that's for sure. They take a huge amount of effort on the part of the people who make them, and I'm not sure any fully-custom operation that sells directly to private citizens is sustainable in the long-run. We just can't afford to pay the real cost of custom work.

Just think, if Mac had licensed his design to a company that could crank out flashlights by the dozen every day, they could've sold for half the price and been reliably available for the indefinite future. But then it wouldn't have that handmade quality to it, and people would be complaining about mass-production imperfections instead. There's no winning.

I have no problem paying a premium for quality, handmade goods. It's over a years wait for a custom 1911 from Wilson Combat with prices reaching well above 3k. Yet they keep you informed as a customer. I would have paid double what Mac was charging if only the service matched his quality.

There is "winning" and that's providing a product with customer service and delivering said good.

A recent example is a semi- custom knife I ordered. I received an email today from the maker apologizing for the delay, taking responsibility for it and offering a refund if I wanted.

If I buy a mass produced product and it's crap, and the price matches the good then I understand. Take the nitcore PD lights. A technology that was purchased from McGizmo if I'm not mistaken. No one expects a McGizmo to fail, but it's a known fact that the Nitcore PD lights are suspect at best.

I apologize for my rant, but there is absolutely no excuse for how this has been handled. The fact that he actually opened another business with out first filling his obligation to current orders is even more insulting.

LupinIII

Enlightened

Not to veer things off topic too much, but why is Gatlight on that list? I have heard of the other guys and their histories - did not realize Gatlight did the same.

primeform

Newly Enlightened

which email did he respond to? this is the lowest form of trash i have ever heard of. after hearing this i realize he is a criminal.