ARC AA FLASHLIGHT: still for sale somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
I always wished that ARC would make a AA with a Lux. I really like the look of the ARC AA, but paying more than $20 for a single 5mm light is incredibly stupid when you consider what else is on the market right now. I guess an old ARC AA is kind of a collectors item, but it has less output than the 50 cent (shipped!) keylights from fifthunit. If only it used a nice SXOH lux, then it would be awesome!

I've lost count of how many tiems that has been requested and turned down :thumbsdow

cy

Flashaholic
to collectors, packaging and condition is worth a premium.

ARC AA's have been selling for aprox. $75+ on b/s/t for sometime. these range from well used to mint. pretty much any working ARC AA is getting rare.

unlike original ARC AAA which dropped in price to $35-40 range in line with new ARC's. ARC AA has had no new replacements appear.

So ARC AA's really never dropped much in price from $65-$75 range. at least that's what sold pricing on b/s/t indicates...

seems Millermod's cree mod is taylor maded for ARC AA's. a two stage light putting out 75+ lumens running of single AA with ARC AA's form factor sounds like a hit to me.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's true, packaging counts. I still have a new-unopened "Wham-O Pluto Platter Flying Saucer, the Toy of the Geophysical Year" -- that would be 1957-1958; the next year they renamed it the Frisbee.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
paying more than $20 for a single 5mm light is incredibly stupid when you consider what else is on the market right now.

Same could be said for anything...why buy a CR2 ION when a Fenix P1 or L1T is just as bright and less than one third of the price?

Anyways, like most folks here I have more than enough "modern" flashlights...I simply desired some classic Arcs (AA and LSH-P to go with my faithful old AAA-LE)...got them now, and I am very pleased with them and I don't feel "stupid" for buying them...also, as mentioned by others, millermods will take an old light and breathe new life into it - One of my AA's will be a two stage pocket rocket next year.
buttrock.gif

CFU

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
Same could be said for anything...why buy a CR2 ION when a Fenix P1 or L1T is just as bright and less than one third of the price?

Anyways, like most folks here I have more than enough "modern" flashlights...I simply desired some classic Arcs (AA and LSH-P to go with my faithful old AAA-LE)...got them now, and I am very pleased with them and I don't feel "stupid" for buying them...also, as mentioned by others, millermods will take an old light and breathe new life into it - One of my AA's will be a two stage pocket rocket next year.
buttrock.gif

CFU
Uhh, the CR2 ion is much smaller and has a hell of alot more runtime/ has a better fit/finish?(please don't flame me)

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point (IMO) is that Arc lights - pick your flavor - have the same effect on some of us (me) that heroin has on an addict's brain. They fire off those pleasure neurons in one's cerebral cortex that otherwise get little attention. Its because an Arc is minimalist, built like a tank, looks and feels better with some mileage, and reminds us of the first time we figured out that you don't have to settle for a crappy plastic D-cell grocery store incan light.

So other lights may smaller, brighter, blah blah blah, but when you need heroin, a little cheap-axe Photon knockoff just won't do it. I'd rather spend $65 on a single AA Arc than have a bucket full of brighter, smaller crappy lights.

So its not incredible stupid, its incredibly worth it. :grin2:

peace

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, thats's the point I was making DM...fit and Finish on an Arc AA are far superior to most (if not all) AA lights that are out there, it's smaller than most (if not all) AA lights out there and the run time is nothing to be sneered at either - All the Arc needs is a better LED, which is easily achievable by those who know what they are doing (two stage will just be a bonus).

I'll take quality over quantity anytime - Although I probably could have used a better example (maybe "Jil LR" V's "Fifth unit knock off").

BTW, Powernoodle says it better than me...get your paws on an Arc AA sometime and then come back and tell me you don't *need* to own one.
grinser2.gif

CFU

(no flames were used durring the making of this post)
smile.gif

mridude

Newly Enlightened
I know it's been said.

I hope that when P.G. has successfuly marketed his new Arc-LS that he will revisit the AA format in some way.

I guess that's as plain as I can say it.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my Arc AA and "sterile" (no markings) black Arc AAA with red LED. The AA gets used on occasion as it gives enough light and runs for 12+ hours on an alkaline. Nice and small and will stand on it's tail.

Having two of the rarer Arcs is something akin to a longevity badge for old school CPF'ers. Mine sit in a case taken apart and I lube the o-rings every six months.

22hornet

Enlightened
I ordered the Kilimanjaro 1led HI yesterday (together with a pacific).
In a way I feel / think that this Peak compares very well with the ARC AA in a lot of ways, also in overall quality, but, in a way, I have mixed feelings as some inner voice tells me I should have got the ARC AA after all.

But suppose the ARC AA was still in production, and Peak would have stopped it's production, it might have been a different situation and the Peak might have been the more desirable one.

Just my 2 cents.
Joris

PS I might still buy the arc AA. After all, 82 USD is a lot for a 1AA light, but in absolute money, it's just a meal in a restaurant...

cy

Flashaholic
my EDC for the last year+ is an ARC AA's based mod done by Larry.

Li14430/CR2 almost never leaves my neck. including primary light duties on 2+ weeks extended backpacking trips.

ARC AA body has just enough material, allowing it to bored for CR2.

li14430_cr2.jpg

randyo

Enlightened
Since CY is still selling empty/dead Arc AA heads, you can always get one of those, mate it to a Peak Kilmanjaro body ($5), either keychain style or pocket style, and send the head off to get it modded. My bare aluminum one in the link below is such a Peak/Arc hybrid "Frankenlight".

Arc-AA LIghts

paulr

Flashaholic
The Li14430 is not an Arc AA mod! It's sort of the same overall size and shape but otherwise a totally different light.

22hornet, I don't think any comparable Peak light will ever have the cachet to CPF flashaholics that the Arc has. The reasons for wanting an Arc AA (or any other light) include (not in any particular order): 1) functionality, 2) collectability/scarcity, 3) artistic/styling 4) cultural (how the light and its maker fit into CPF history). For functionality (brightness, etc.), the Arc AA is really not that great any more, and so if this is what you mostly care about then the Arc is simply not a good choice. For collectability/scarcity, all old Arcs became more desirable when the company went out of business, just like paintings often become more valuable after the artist dies. Styling is subjective but I think the Arc looks better than any of the Kilimanjaros. Finally for culture, Arc's history is closely interthreaded with CPF (though make no mistake, the company did some dumb stuff that was deservedly unpopular here) and so every Arc light has a piece of CPF culture in it, while Peak (again subjective and waay oversimplifying) is just some company that started cranking out a product to fill a market opportunity. Anyway what I'm getting at is that the price of Arc AA's has been bid up by CPF'ers who value these intangibles, rather than because of technical characteristics of the light itself. Whether you value those same intangibles enough to make it worth $82 or whatever is a personal decision on your part, but either way, don't expect that paying a lot for intangibles will also get you a light that's superior tangibly. It won't.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, I'm pretty certain that Cy was talking about the light on the right of the picture...it looks like an Arc AA case that's been modified to me.

CFU

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's right CFU. I'm told Larry made only 2 of those cut-down ArcAA mods (bored to fit CR2); guess who has the other one? ;) Like CY, I have a Li-14430 head on mine, but the electronics in the head are different.

22hornet

Enlightened
Buying an ARC AA in true CPF style

Originally (a few days ago) I saw an ARC AA and instantly wanted one as it looks really nice.
I started looking.
I found one, though quite expensive. (Price > SF E1E)
Started looking elsewhere - Peak !
Peak Kilimanjaro 1led HP seems quite similar in setup
Ok, buy peak. Peak is excellent quality, no?!
Ordered Peak Kilimanjaro and saw that Pacific again on the site too.
Ordered a Pacific too.
Hey, there are different battery options for a Pacific
So i ordered 2AAA and 1AA body also
Ok, that's all nice but I still want an ARC AA
It might become an icon
I might never forgive myself not buying it
Finally ordered an ARC AA anyway.

YOUR FAULT !! :tsk:

... or should it be: :grouphug:

Joris :ohgeez:

Status
Not open for further replies.