Aspheric mag SST50 (beamshots added)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Aspheric mag SST50

If you have an aspheric/reflector combo, would the light bouncing off the reflector still be coming out the front, even if it wasnt part of the hot spot /collimated beam(I.e. as spill around the hot spot)?

It would, you'll increase OTF lumens but it's not useful.
The reflector bounce light through the lens making the beam looks like the center of a Storm, there's some photo around.

Edit, found it:

Picture from the link below:
DSC00706.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214455

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened

You lose so much output with a lens, because only the light that hits the lens, will be thrown out. The closer you move the lens towards the LED, the more lumens you will be getting.

A TIR optic is able to collect those 43% of lost light, of course with some optical loses, but still better than the lens.
Actually the answer occurred to me right after I posted the question. If you unscrew the bezel and remove the aspheric lens would be one way to test just emitter output with an integrating sphere. But instead of getting fingerprints all over the lens and dropping the O-ring on the floor, they just unscrewed the reflector housing from the battery tube. Duh, what was I thinking?:ohgeez: If you allow 15% going to the lens, the other 28% was absorbed by the walls of the reflector housing. That's a perfectly reasonable number. I was just looking at it the wrong way.:eek:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened

It would, you'll increase OTF lumens but it's not useful.
The reflector bounce light through the lens making the beam looks like the center of a Storm, there's some photo around.

The only time I have found this dead light to be useful is if the reflector is MOP or HOP. Other than that, its best to not use a reflector, and take a loss in lumens. Or you can paint the inside of the head, or the reflector with glow paint :nana:

That scattered light is just distracting when your trying to look at something far away. Its best to not have it at all.

How far is your LED into the Mag body? Because I have a DX aspheric on hand aswell, and when I put it into the Mag head it was unfocused, to close to the LED. The lens had to be 3/4" away from the end of the bezel to focus the light correctly. Obviously its because the LED is to close to the lens. How deep is your heatsink?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only time I have found this dead light to be useful is if the reflector is MOP or HOP. Other than that, its best to not use a reflector, and take a loss in lumens. Or you can paint the inside of the head, or the reflector with glow paint :nana:

That scattered light is just distracting when your trying to look at something far away. Its best to not have it at all.

How far is your LED into the Mag body? Because I have a DX aspheric on hand aswell, and when I put it into the Mag head it was unfocused, to close to the LED. The lens had to be 3/4" away from the end of the bezel to focus the light correctly. Obviously its because the LED is to close to the lens. How deep is your heatsink?

That wasn't my image, I have a link posted where the image is from.

But to answer your question, when I run into that type of issues, I just grind the heat sink rim away & push the heat sink deeper into the flashlight tube.

SUBjohan

Newly Enlightened

Very nice build. I'm sure people would be interested seeing how you mounted the H6Flex.

The H6Flex was pretty easy to mount, I glued (DX fujik) the thermal pad to the back. Than I glued a copper distance holder 5mm thick with holes cut out for the wires to the thermal pad and that was glued to the led's heatsink.

How far is your LED into the Mag body?

Pretty deep, I don't have it on hand now but it is around 10mm inside the neck of the tube.

phoca_thumb_l_sst50.jpg

Greetz Johan

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great build Johan..

The lumens loss with lens indeed is caused by the combination of lens diameter and focal length. The lens grabs a certain angle of light emittance from the led, the remaining lumens (emitted from the side of the led) are lost. (not totally, some of them are still reflected from the side of the chamber)

You can grab more lumens by trying to add a collimator lens close to the led (like Saabluster did with the Deft) However, you still will lose a considerable amount of lumens because the emittance angle of the SST50 is much wider than of the Cree XR-E
With the narrow angle, the XR-E is more suited for use with an aspheric lens.

Only a TIR optic is capable of grabbing almost all lumens from wide angle led's like SST-50

41,875 lux @ 1m is a bit at the low side (IMO) Have you paid enough attention to the focus? An overdriven SST-50 should give more in a setup like that..

Regards,

Ra.

steve007

Newly Enlightened
is the aspheric lens 50mm?

I'd like to try it out with the DORCY 220lm light I have....would fit right in there...

CKOD

Enlightened
is the aspheric lens 50mm?

I'd like to try it out with the DORCY 220lm light I have....would fit right in there...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12834

yep, 50mm, I got one, its all you would expect from a $4 glass lens... I think there is a layer of bubbles in the middle of the lens for some of the ones I got, hard to tell. It projects pretty good, but comparing it to a KD lens and an edmund optics 50mm with a 3d mag with a mag led conversion (still working on 'real' modded mag ;) ) there is a lot more chromatic aberration around the hot spot when focused. But... its a $4 lens, so why not give it a whirl.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I had the 1C Mag SST-50 by Nailbender it was putting out 986 OTF lumens. When I put an aspheric itwas low 400 OTF lumens. This was at 4.55A at the tail off IMR 26500 cell.

an SST-50 at 2000 lumens I find hard to believe. If you put an aspheric, then you would loose around half the lumens.

If you take off the dome and go domeless you need extra heatsinking, but I went from 27k lux to almost 55k lux at 1m. I liked this route better because you dont loose that many lumens when going super throw route. It will lower your vF and the current goes up. So, extra heatsinking will be needed and a lower voltage input.

bigC

steve007

Newly Enlightened
I'll give the DX lens a whirl and see how it comes out. I already love the throw on the Dorcy, would be interesting to see the effect with the aspheric. As bigchelis stated, I may lose some lumens but it just may be worth a shot on the overall effect.

Latest posts