Battery exploded in flashlight

flame2000

Enlightened
hotwls13 said:
Who in the general public is going to have the means to measure if there 123 battery is at 20% or less? Or are going to drill a small hole in there new flashlight so that it vents? Or are even going to think twice about using 2 different brands of batteries.

I agreed with that......most general folks will just get a pair of CR123 batt from the convenience store, chuck them into their flashlights without checking. And if one of them is at 20% or less, then it like a freaking time bomb waiting to explode! You can't blame them for this, cos they don't even know that it's dangerous to have mismatched cell.

yozza01

Newly Enlightened
I have also had a C123A battery explode in a cheaper flash light. It was Superfire inport from Hon Kong. It came with its own batteries four of each. Yep I know not a decent flash light, but it saves a good one getting lost or damaged at work (Police officer in UK) The force of the blast blew off the rubber cap from the on/off switch.

I have pictures if anyone can tell me how to pur them on the forum?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yozza01, please dispose of the light and all the other pieces soon. You don't want to be exposed to any of those chemicals. I also had a light explode...

Surf to an online image site such as imageshack.us Upload your pics there, then copy and paste the links into your post. I typically use the "thumbnail for forums (1)" for my posts.

Hope that helps!

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
For now I'm going to stick to single cell CR123A applications. I have a P1D-CE I've been using happily since I got it with no problems at all.

I think it boils down to how much risk you want to take. If you have a large house, and safe places you can store your multi-cell lights then the risk may be worth taking. On the other hand, if you live with your parents, you have one room to yourself and it has so much stuff in it that any kind of small fire would quickly become an uncontrollable catastrophe, you may be better sticking with single cell lights just to be on the safe side.

Oh, a tip: NEVER use Li-AA's in a light that exposes the bare bottom of a bulb to the positive battery tip. I've had one of those lights (it was a cheap 2xAA incandescent thing) with alkalines in it - it got dropped and suddenly got VERY hot because the bottom of the bulb was pushed in, so the positive battery tip made contact with the can (which was connected to the negative side of the batteries...)

arty

Enlightened
I have purchased a few flashlights with defective batteries in them. A Nuwai 352L came with dented, partially depleted cells, and an Inova X5 had depleted cells in it.

I now check all batteries when I get them and right before putting them in lights. It is not unusual to get 60% cells (2 Rayovac CR2s out of 6), or even worse. I have had multiple partially depleted Energizers (2) in a purchase of 10.
I got some Energizers that tested 100% when new, but two were 60% after a couple of weeks in storage.
The Surefires and Duracells that I have bought have all been 100% on my ZTS tester....so far.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only batteries that I have vented were MINH's on 6 pack of series 3300 GP sub-C cells vented in my pocket when some were shorted on an RC controller antenna in my pocket (ironic thing is I moved the antenna from one pocket to the other so when I grabbed the battery and put it in my pocket I wouldn't put it in the same pocket as my antenna, well I remembered that my antenna was in the pocket on my right so I threw the pack in my left pocket, where I had moved the antenna anticipating were I would throw the pack, well half way to school I hear a hissing and My pocket is warm I grab the pack by the pigtail on the plug and shlep it into some grass and go to school, another different battery pack ended up getting crushed and a cell internally shorted.)
I just hope I don't have any problems with my U2 hopefully the LVD (low voltage cutoff) will kick in before any 1 cell is too low. (with 1 full and 1 drained cell the light strobes rapidly on higher levels), batteries when taken care of properly are pretty good to have. So moral of the story, don't abuse your cells and treat them like everyone says.

cutlerylover

Banned
This is why I agve up on CR123's all together, for now anyway...Too many stories like this one make me paranoid...So I just don't use them...I am fine with my AA and AAA lights as well as my bigger C and D lights...Of course I am missing out on some great lights!!!! Like almost all of the surefires avaliable...not to mentions hundreds of other great lights!!!!!!!!For the most part these batteries give you good runtimes and lots of power in a small package, and for now I don't need the small package so its not worth the risk to me...I am just too paranoid to use them, even single cell ligths that use 1 CR123...I know the chances of me having a problem are slim to none, but I just don't like the uneasy feelign of will this happen to me...you know...So maybe one day I will get over it, but for now my luck is no good and I don't like the uncertaintly of it all...Thats just my thoughts aloud...

arty

Enlightened
I just checked over my CR123 batteries - Surefire, Energizer and Duracell - all are made in the U.S.

The CR2s are all made in Japan - The brands include Maxell, Duracell and Rayovac.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa Whoa Whoa! Why all the fuss? Panasonic guarantee their batteries, and will refund or replace any item damaged by them...

http://www.panasonic-batteries.com/site/Europe/English/content/index.asp?id=46

You will be sorted.

And what's this about Panasonic being lower quality? Panasonic, Duracell and Energizer 123s are the SAME BATTERY, in different packaging. So it makes no odds.

I still am cautious of all lithiums though, so it's single cell all the way for me, with a Fenix P1D-CE!

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
MikeSalt said:
Whoa Whoa Whoa! Why all the fuss? Panasonic guarantee their batteries, and will refund or replace any item damaged by them...

The fuss is over the danger of explosion, fire, injury, etc. Panasonic (or other companies) may replace the flashlight, but I don't think they'll cover any collateral damage.

I'm aware of the issue and will practice "safe battery" when using 123s, but you know this problem is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me, after reading through this thread a few times, that as long as we don't mix brands, and keep cells paired (or tri-ed), there should be any worry about CR123s sitting on a shelf just suddenly exploding.

Remember, photographers have been using these batteries for years in high-drain devices.

To worry that you are "carring a bomb", or worry about the cells you have in reserve suddenly bursting into flames, is akin to worrying that the gun in my holster is going to jump out all by itself and start blasting away.

As long as we are careful, there shouldn't be any problems. I would lay a dollar to a donut that all the unintended violent ventings violated one or more of these rules.

Knowing a little bit about corporate litigation, I can guarantee you that there is no conspiracy about CR123 cells. If there were a safety hazard that warranted some action, we would hear about it.

Newbie does fantastic research; and is a huge asset here. But along with research data, we have to combine real-world logic to properly determine if something is a "ticking time bomb".