Battery exploded in flashlight

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
And always wear eye protection when messing with batteries. This includes your car too.

Case in point: I was heading out one night (or at least attempting to), vehicle had been sitting for hours and was no major heatwave that day or anything.
I turned the key and KABOOM! Battery exploded. Cracked that casing clean off in some parts. Sounded like a 12 gauge going off under the hood.

You just never know.

*Retired*
Warp said:
After reading all of these recent events I changed where I store my lithium batteries! Until a few days ago I kept them in the same drawer as approximately 200 rounds of ammo for handgun. :ohgeez:

All lithiums are now safely removed from ammo in their own otter box.

Whoa!

davidra

Enlightened
As many Mag mods as there are around, has anyone heard of anything going off in a Mag body? I've got a bunch of 2C 3X123 mods around, including one stored in my boat, in a very salty and humid environment. Maybe that ain't such a good idea.....

*Retired*
Lunarmodule said:
Good guess. In the exploding Pelican M6 thread, the prime suspect for the detonating cell(s) were indeed Surefire 123s, with the distinctive red wrapper. Another CPF thread reported rupturing primary Cr123s in a Surefire M6 while stored in a vehicle in extreme cold. Brand? Surefire. In each thread were several mentions of other Surefire batteries involved in little disasters. Kind puts a new twist on the company's play on words name. Surefire: you can be sure of one thing, this babys gonna FIRE* (*=we didnt say one kind or another)

Its kind of irritating to hear reports of folks regarding their lithium batteries as "little bombs" and nonsense like that. Automobiles are killing machines like no other, with incomprehesibly terrible murderous potential cleverly concealed with mile after trouble free mile of normal driving. If everybody contemplated nothing BUT how head on collisions are supposed to be like at 75mph, how many folks could still keep their wits about them in a parking lot at those parking lot speeds? Simple: folks would scare themselves into NOT driving? Why risk it? Life's too precious. It certainly is. To waste time cowering in fear over flashlight batteries, it is indeed. Now, for the schmoe with his 15 Amp Magmod 3D with magnets between his CPB1650 cells, be afraid, be very afraid. Your express ticket to Short CIrcuit CIty is waiting for you, sir. But especially single cell applications, 123s of ANY manufacture. I worry much more about being spontaneously mawled by escaped Persian Tigers from the local zoo.

I distinctly remember someone wisecracking about my portable hand grenade, referring to my home grown rechargeable LiIon battery pack I made for my Surefire M6. I used unprotected cells in a pack configuration, and it was likened by one to be akin to said grenade. Be sure to update your progress if you still have both hands in a few weeks..... I shake my head and remember that one.

I'm *very* glad to hear you are okay after your experience you related to us the other day. Folks, please be *very* careful, see a doctor after exposure to a exploding/venting cell. An exerpt from his thread:

Lunarmodule said:
dsc01423red8003iu.jpg

I'm still reeling with shock as I type this, bandages in place. They say there's a first time for everything, and my first lithium battery explosion happened moments ago to a flashlight in my hand while operating. It was a new (to me) Pelican M6 with incan lamp assembly, just arrived as a purchase from BST. It came with batteries already installed, CR123 primaries, am almost certain were Battery Station brand. The light was operating continuously for about 20 minutes, and I picked it up to move to another part of my darkroom. I noticed the body of the light was warm, not hot to the touch. As I picked it up it I heard a hissing sound, looked down and saw a gray haze spewing out around the rubber tailcap button, this was follwed by a shockingly loud *BANG* like a large firework. Startled, I dropped the light to the ground....(cut off for brevity, for full read see thread link below-Newbie)

Lunarmodule said:
Unfortunately there is a darker side to this, I am finding out now. It appears I have absorbed some toxic materials through breathing and through the blood from the cuts. I slept most of the day, but awoke to overwhelming nausea and repeated vomiting. Ive got a strange rash covering both arms and most of my legs. I went to the after hours clinic and preliminary bloodwork showed some strange liver enzyme levels, one three times higher than the normal high range. The cuts, about a dozen of them, have all sealed up but are black compared to the reddened tissue surrounding them. Right after the incident, I flushed the cuts repeatedly with peroxide and removed the glass with tweezers. Then a bunch of Neosporin and a bandage. The doctor at the clinic repeated the same standard disinfection regieme, but is curious about the possibility of poisioning, thankfully low level. I went home and felt relieved, until I got home and vomiting started again, much worse than before. I followed SilverFox's advice and moved everything outside. I will find out later today what the other blood sample reveals. I need to find an MSDS type sheet for these cells, what compounds specifically may have entered my system. I feel terrible, like a bad case of the flu without a fever. The doc said there was nothing more to do besides keep changing bandages and disinfecting, watch and wait. I keep looking at my arms, which are completely covered in angry little red bumps, like measles. The doc indicated the liver enzyme results suggest the body is working full tilt to neutralize the toxins. He said as I suspected the rash is an allergic reaction to the foreign materials. Cheers to those CPFers that mentioned the bit about glass powder and residue. Clearly I shrugged off the significance of the acrid smoke too quickly.

I was going to rebuild the light, but for the time being until I feel normal again I dont want to go within 100 feet of that smell again (yeck!) If Kevin of batterystation wants the parts or someone else please drop me an email and let me know.

A little later:

Lunarmodule said:
An update: Intrepid CPFer InFLux and all around nice fellow called me at home around noontime and I was feeling much better. Very nice, checking on my condition, which is not very serious thankfully.

I felt better until I got off the phone with the hospital that did the blood analysis. The doctor I saw yesterday referred my results to a toxicologist that confirms significant hydroflouric acid poisioning. Huge thanks to the CPFers that gave me the links for the MSDS sheets on the batteries. Finally my secondary exposure symptoms jibe with what I have read. Worst is the nausea and vomiting, which are at bay for now, and today I managed normal meals, OK. There is tissue necrosis (dead stuff) at the laceration sites, explaining the black color of the cuts. At higher inhaled concentrations complete shutdown of cardiovascular organs can happen with a delayed onset. The VERY good news is the exposure is relatively small, but significant enough to cause the nasty GI symptoms, skyrocketed liver enzyme numbers, and skin rash. Some friends came by at various times during the day and poked some fun at my appearance, the skin rash covering most of my extremeties resembles a childhood case of measles. It helps to laugh about it, the worst is definitely over. It seems to be clearing, I was going to head to the ocean for a swim but dont have the energy quite yet. The toxicologist advised lots of hydration and rest, easy enough. Apparently the hydroflouric acid released in gaseous form upon combustion is extremely damaging, and is particularly nasty in that the serious exposure symptoms have a very delayed onset as the radical free flourine disassociates from the acid form and wreaks its havoc on various systems. So on top of being the lithium exposion test pilot I get to be the hydroflouric acid guinea pig too! Reiterate thanks to all those wishing me well.
Lunarmodule said:
Tremendous thanks to Nubo and Diesel bomber for providing HF toxicity links and MSDS info. Very timely and VERY helpful!!!

06-09-2006, 11:11 AM, Two days later:

Lunarmodule said:
SilverFox and others have posted about the stuff from the combusted batteries being "real bad" for you in plain English. They are quite right. Moreso than I imagined. To relay my real world experience with this: even a SMALL amount of the gray gas expelled from the batteries during combustion inhaled can do significant DELAYED ONSET damage. I read about Icebreak and Bill Waites trying to replicate the failure, and I applaud their courageous and determined spirit, however I cannot stress highly enough that one should overexaggerate the danger of the fumes and wet char residue, which I handled with bare hands (no choice). This is not mamby-pamby MSDS Chicken Little the Sky is Falling scary sounding rhetoric... an MSDS would have you believe a car wash solution is so dangerous to handle you might want to invest in a full blown Hazmat suit in order to wash your car. They typically refer to catastrophic spills of material or somesuch. In the case of these batteries, I was shocked to discover almost all the MSDS was devoted to minimal discussion of how to deal with burned/burning batteries. There was a clear trend of disclaimer-ism: "in normal use the compounds contained within the metal can of the battery cannot come in contact with the user and thus are not subject to special handling precautions. There is a BRIEF mention of some of the potential decomposition byproducts of combustion, but the annoying phrase repeats saying this would only be applicable for abuse or disaster scenarios. That could stand revision. And to Bill Waites, PLEASE be super careful. You mentioned "fire is OK, an explosion is not....." in an earlier post. Well, what is happening or rather what did happen to me is the rapid venting was an out of control reaction producing large amounts of hydrogen. I recall that moment in high school chemistry of tossing a chunk of cryogenic sodium metal into a bath of water, it oxidized violently and liberated prodigious H2 (hydrogen) which eventually ignited from the intense heat of the vigorous reaction. Lots of bubbling, and a giant KaBOOM! as a climax. Strikingly similar to what occurred with the cells. The rapid venting (and I cannot emphasize this enough) is the only early warning sign but by itself is the true menace and real demon in this process. The hydrofluoric acid in this gaseous emission is horrifically toxic, I radically underestimated its impact on me, tricked by the delayed onset nature of the symptoms of its poisioning. I've turned the corner and improving, but I feel worse than when it first happened. I didnt sleep at all last night, threw up twice, and sweat so much I showered three times. I've got to get more rest, but the leg burns, I feel nauseated, and I'm still looking like a measles poster child. Nothing to do but wait it out. I can pass along to others that if you are exposed to a scenario of gray haze/smoke jetting from the battery, get yourself to a source of fresh air as fast as possible, and keep anyone else as far away as possible. Under no circumstances should you breathe ANY of the fumes if it can be avoided. In retrospect I should have gone outside instead of typing for 20 minutes in the same room with the evil haze. AVOID THIS STUFF AT ALL COSTS. There is nothing but a respirator, or better bottled air to cope with these fumes, they are more dangerous than I thought possible. BIll, I urge you to be extremely cautious if you insist on trying to induce this failure. If you manage a high pressure cell venting, the explosion is almost certain, as the cell vent exists to stop a runaway reaction. But the greatest danger is the chemical nastiness you can breathe. That needs to be emphasized in the MSDS sheets. And made common knowledge here. More than typical common sense suggests, take extra precautions to avoid any exposure to the fumes of burning batteries.

Im feeling wiped out again, a lot of typing. Going to lay down for a while. Thanks again for everyone's support.

Lunarmodule said:
Phone rings. Again. The toxicologist from Queen's Hospital asking questions. They want me to go back in. At least for more blood. I hate that part the most. I just now read StoneDog's post and feel terrible. Its not fun, but what I've got is minor and nothing compared to what could have happened if I fell asleep reading with that light on. Jon, I dont believe you did anything negligent and there is no WAY I could have forseen this, much less you, so dont worry. Be grateful as I am that there is only minor damage to me and surroundings. The scary part is the chemical toxicity of what I interpreted to be a very slight exposure.

The full thread is found here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120888&page=1

*Please* do not underestimate the danger of the byproducts of an exploded/vented Lithium 123 Primary, and see the doctor

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for consolidating that, Newbie. It is a keeper.

Scott

drmaxx

Enlightened
Newbie: A big thank you for compiling these essential parts out of this 600+ post thread.
I missed this specific part and I am very surprised to hear that Lunarmodule had to suffer through all this! My best wishes to you, Lunarmodule!

K Williams

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on getting a SureFire 9P. Is it a good idea to open the flashlight from time to time to vent any possible build-up of gasses. A flashlight exploding in my pocket doesn't sound nice...

Last edited:

*Retired*
K Williams said:
I'm planning on getting a SureFire 9P. Is it a good idea to open the flashlight from time to time to vent any possible bildup of gasses. A flashlight exploding in my pocket doesn't sound nice...

It seems that it might be wise, and to never mix brands or partially used cells with new ones, and cell matching might possibly be of use. Some folks have started drilling a hole in their light, to allow a gas escape route if something goes wrong. One take on things is that a person could backfill the hole with RTV (silicone or caulk), so that it remains moisture tight, but any gas pressure would blow out the RTV "valve".

Pretty much anything one does to lower the risk is a good idea, imho. Right now, several folks are doing testing in an attempt to find something to go on, to see if there is anything that can be done further.

Threads for reference:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120888&page=1&pp=40

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123462&page=1&pp=40

K Williams

Newly Enlightened
NewBie said:
It seems that it might be wise, and to never mix brands or partially used cells with new ones, and cell matching might possibly be of use. Some folks have started drilling a hole in their light, to allow a gas escape route if something goes wrong. One take on things is that a person could backfill the hole with RTV (silicone or caulk), so that it remains moisture tight, but any gas pressure would blow out the RTV "valve".

Pretty much anything one does to lower the risk is a good idea, imho. Right now, several folks are doing testing in an attempt to find something to go on, to see if there is anything that can be done further.

Threads for reference:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120888&page=1&pp=40

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123462&page=1&pp=40

Thanks for the info.

zulu45

Enlightened
So, has anyone ever had an exploding battery in a single 123 cell light? Due to all these, I've retired my 6P, keeping it only in the case of an emergancy, with no batteries in it. Been using a Fenix P1 in its place.

Warp

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
well, theres no way a lithium primary would get recharged by itself, thats for sure...unlike mixing charged state lithiums in a two or three cell...

Very true, and why many believe you are far less likely to have a "vent with flame" or worse in a single cell light.

However, one of NeWbie's tests seems to indicate that the fresh cell is the one that vented when a new and old cell were mixed.

*Retired*
SJACKAL said:
My friend was driving when he suddenly heard a loud POP and the car was filled with a really pungent smell so bad that he had to get out of the car.

Turns out that the SL Scorpion he was wearing on his belt sorta exploded, actually its the Panasonic CR123A batteries in it. The batts are all blacken and the flashlight interior was covered with a layer of black substance. The flashlight lens cracked from the impact/pressure/whatever.

Amazingly, the light still works and the bulb is ok. The only damage is the lens, I guess its from the pressure.

He done nothing strange to the light before the incident, just normal regular usage. I wonder why it happened.

Is the smell and the black substance toxic?

Had he used it a bit beforehand?

*Retired*
xpitxbullx said:
Are these lithium batteries exploding or creating a fast/slow expansion of gas?

Jeff

Some have actually exploded and shot their internals out.

An example:
sure123e.jpg

I've seen cases where the vent ruptures at very high pressures and just releases gas.

I've also seen cases where the vent ruptures and violently releases hot black crud in the gas, sometimes while it is on fire, so it is shooting flames at the same time.

I've seen the results of a violent venting scenario, where it was strong enough to break/cut/snap the really heavy battery spring on an old PM6. When it went, it actually sounded more like a ricochet from a .22 off a rock, and made the tail cap skip down over a few threads.

Some folks define an explosion as a sudden release of trapped gas/energy. Others consider an explosion a firey release.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
THat's my fear too!! I have a Q-3 in my pocket right now. It's normally a toss between the Q-3 or E1L... UGGG

vaism said:
wow.. that is nasty. Can imagine how bad it'd be if it exploded in my pants pocket..

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
batterystation said:
It would seem that single cell lights are the safest because most are LED and they eliminate the "mixed cell" added hazard. I believe SFs now to be Energizers.

Hi Kevin,

Last I heard both Surefire and Streamlight are using Panasonics.

Also, and I could be wrong on this but I think Energizer's been buying from Sanyo - I have bulk cases of both and they really look like they're from the same factory (Sanyo/Japan).

Latest posts