Bay Area CPF BBQ and Flashapalooza - June 17th

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few weeks ago I was at a potluck BBQ with my 4 wheel drive club. There were about a dozen adults and a handful of kids. We we getting ready to eat just about dusk. Since we needed some light, I brought out a bunch of small camping lanterns.

For a bunch of people BBQing, standing around drinking and talking, sitting at picnic tables (2 ot them end to end) eating, the small camping lanterns just weren't getting the job done.

Some one broke out a double mantle coleman lantern. It provided the light we needed, but it did so with a harsh glare and the sound of a jet engine. At this point I decided that there was the need for a new category of lights - something between small camping lanterns and large propane lanterns.

I call this new category of lights "picnic lamps". Output equivalent to a 60 watt incandescent, nice warm color temp, and run times in the 6+ hour range. The reason I posted this here is that I will be introducing this new category of lights at the flashapalooza. I will be bringing 5 or 6 to show how easy they are to make. I'm not posting any pictures at this time - I'll leave that for Tony to do at the unveiling.

Larry, you can add "picnic lamps" to the list of featured lights.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimH said:
Larry, you can add "picnic lamps" to the list of featured lights?
Sure will, I'm curious what they look like. We will have a nearby propane lantern on a pole, but if you got something better, then I'm all for it!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm flying to Burbank tomorrow morning to act as a tour guide for filming locations (including the actual 1960's Bat Cave), and I will be back in San Jose Thursday evening. If anyone posts or PMs I should be able to reply by Friday morning.

knifebright

Enlightened
Good news for me. I think i'll actually be able to make it as i'm coming home from my trip early. Could anyone let me know if
1. i could get a camp site
2. if i could share a camp sight with someone (jimh, winchester ect..) i'll split the bill of course.
jimmy

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy,

You are welcome to camp under my wing - just like ghost mountain. Glad you can make it. It will be good to see you again.

knifebright

Enlightened
nice jim that takes a lot of stress of the last minute arival. Just remember.... I don't run food service operations for a living.... i repeat... nah just kidden i'll work the grill
jimmy

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey Nick!

How about da kine Maui Chips? ! ? ! ? :huh: Dat jus wen pop in mah heed das all

Which ever kind of chips you bring will be fine with me. See you there!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of bag sleeping near JimH's rig. Jim - do you have a grill on that thing ? Maybe I will bring along something for breakfast.

Just curious - are there showers there ? Yes, I am an urban camper. :)

Harry

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN said:
I am thinking of bag sleeping near JimH's rig. Jim - do you have a grill on that thing ? Maybe I will bring along something for breakfast.
Harry
The more, the merrier, Harry. No grill, but I have a gas range with oven & pots and pans. There might be some sort of grill at the camp sites.

dagger10k

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to come by, not to sleep over, but just to see the cool lights!

Do you have any more room? I don't have much in the way of flashlights really, just some production stuff and a demented ROP.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like I'll be there this weekend, just for the evening. I should have 1 guest.

Lights (stock):
- Surefire E1L
- PentagonLight L2
- Pelican 2390
- PT Surge
- Streamlight 4AA Luxeon
- Inova X1 new style
- River Rock LED lantern
- Brinkmann 3W
- Dorcy 3D Luxeon
- UK Zoom (so you know what you're not missing :p )

Custom & mod:
- McLux III PD
- Aleph 1 2x123A
- Surefire L6 with Lux III
- Lux III & Wizard2 modded 3D Mag
- Lux III & Downboy modded 2C Mag with 3x123A
- Lux V & Downboy modded 2C Mag with 3x123A

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
dagger10k said:
I'd like to come by, not to sleep over, but just to see the cool lights!

Do you have any more room? I don't have much in the way of flashlights really, just some production stuff and a demented ROP.
You don't need anything for admittance other than a warm body (still breathing) and an interest in lighting implements. All are welcome. I presume most participants won't be staying overnight, but either way is okay.

knifebright

Enlightened
i got some car room from san francisco if anyone is in need of a ride. Jim it seems that your're going to have one hell of a group on the ground next to your rig.
jimmy

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found a place to get internet service so I can reply. Sorry for being out of touch the last few days.

knifebright - Glad you can make it. I'll put you down for camping too. There are many campsites open if you want your own, or you may simply share one of several I'm paying for. Your only expence will be the $5 park entry fee, but if you are sharing one of my campsites, just tell the ranger at the booth you'll be taking a CPF prepaid camping site and you'll get a pass. If nobody is at the booth, just drive in to the CPF picnic area and I should have the pass for you (pay me the $5 entry fee instead as that is already paid for when I get the campsites).

HarryN - Yes they have coin operated showers. You may want to bring a few quarters as I didn't see a change machine.

dagger10k - Yes we have plenty of room and camping isn't a requirement (just for those who want it). Just pay the $5 at the entry kiosk, or machine if nobody is on duty, and follow the CPF signs and arrows. Also make sure you arrive before 8:30 pm as the gate is locked and cars can only exit after that time.

asdalton - Welcome, I'll put you down plus one guest. Looks like you're bringing a good sized collection. I think I'll bring some extra folding tables.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Whoa Hey Mai! :(

Just read my email as a reminder that I've got two (2) events to go this Saturday June 17 2006! I even FORGOT :twak: about one of them. One is a funeral for a friend that past away last week, so the memorial (out of town) is at 4:00PM. The other is my other friend's wedding that slipped my mind because I've been excited for the Flashapalooza! :ohgeez: It's an evening wedding at 6:00PM of all times. . .

Looks like I'm going to miss this one BIG TIME! :hairpull: