Beast Pics?

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
PK is short for "Paul Kim" the absolute guru in design of ergonomic and functions of highpower illumination tools, he is without a doubt a genius and I wish I could be part of his team.

Without a doubt PK has some ideas about replacement bezels that would be HID lamps and modules, probably will only fit the larger class like the 10X or M6, OR....it may look something like an affair for a weapons lite, my personal choice for an HID.

car guy

Newly Enlightened
Hey Geoff,

How does the throw of the beast compare to the maxa beam?
What is the price of the beast?

Thank You
Eric

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Hasn't any modder out there taken apart a UK Lite Cannon 100 yet and installed all the guts into say a turbo head for a Surefire M4 or such?

If not I will.....

grift

Enlightened
Hasn't any modder out there taken apart a UK Lite Cannon 100 yet and installed all the guts into say a turbo head for a Surefire M4 or such?

If not I will.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">daniel someone just proposed doing just that on the old surefire forum. he wants to know if there is interest and he might make some mods. i'll link the thread when i get time.

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Actually guys,

PK has already done that. In fact, he did it quite some time ago. About a year ago, if I remember correctly. Although it is just a prototype.

He put one into an M6 body. Some of you who went to SHOT 2002 probably saw it there, and there was also a photo of it for a while on his web site.

Here's the jiff, though. Although it does put out a whiter light, the true lumen output was not as good as the MN21.
While the MN21 shoots 500 lumens out of it's reflector, the best that PK could get with the 10W HID was 400. Not to say that's bad, however.

In fact, 400 lumens at 10W could be better than 500 lumens at 30W(MN21), depending on who uses it. But then again, you have that "startup time" lag with the HID. So it's really up to the task that the bulb needs to do for the owner.

Do you need immediate light, hot-strike ability, 500 lumens, but for only 20mins?
Or can you wait for the bulb to light up, wait a bit if want to turn it back on, but get 400 lumens for about 60mins?

For the majority of us, we can wait.....
But for most people who use the Millenium lights for true tactical purposes, hot-strike ability might prove very crucial.

Oh well.....

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
It was my posting at 186,000 about this idea.

I wonder what the current draw of the MN21 is compared to the 10W HID, course there is always the 35W HID.....but thats what the Beast is anyway?

If PK keeps it on the back burner I am interested in making a SF clone of either a 10 or 35W HID, I don't really care if it gets 20-30 minutes, if its rechargeable so much the better.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel

The 5th geneation BEAST will not be anything like the unit that was shown at Shot 2002, and none of the specs apply.

PK mentioned smaller package because of smaller electronics.

HID lights are not on the "backburner" for SureFire. They are trying to use the best technology, which seems to be changing every 60-90 days. Like I said earlier, Gen3 was ready for production mid summer; Gen4 was better, and now Gen5 for sometime next year

grift

Enlightened
well generation this and generation that, but at some point you gotta eventually just produce and sale dont ya?
rolleyes.gif
i mean its cool they are trying to make it better due to advanced technology, BUT there is no way to keep up w/what is currently the best for this and best for that. surefire just needs to quit teasing us and not mention a light till it is ready to ship
bluesigh.gif

Daniel if you decide to do this in the future i'd probally be interested. keep us informed plz.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
what happened?

i haven't been around for a while - decided to check in on the flashlight area before doing my xmas shopping - and figured by now the 'beast' would be on retail shelves [or as close as SF can get to there] -- but the beast is gone - all records of it destroyed - and even pk-engineering.com has been "censored" (as if to say if you want a paycheck next week, you'll shutdown that website you run with our pre-release pics on it).

I got the feeling that paul had some insight that was not "in line" with the top brass at SF and I suspect there were some heated discussions about models, switches, bulbs, batts, etc.

So for my xmas list for SF - my whopping choices are LED modules for my existing lamps. I could make those on my lathe, thank you. I was looking for HID with a nice finish on the lamp and even had a position on the shelf next to the M6 ready for its arrival.

Anyone got the straight scoop from PK or from the big brass at SF?