Best bang for the buck AA high lumen cheap led light

DietMaple

Newly Enlightened
At work we have a real need for LED flashlights that are of pretty low cost. Have pretty high lumen output and take AA batteries. Now these lights are mostly throw aways because they are abused and are left around. Recently we lost some $50 fenix LD lights and well it sucks.

In the local store they have a brand named Dorcy which is 25 lumens and much cheaper than the inova x1. But I'd really like something with a greater output. Does anything like this exist?

chazz

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum! :)

Could take a look at these, they come in a few different names/config :

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nexpensive-little-AA-light-Sipik68-amp-Clones

What are you looking to spend per light?
Runtime?

If you want something a little better quality but still decent price might try ShiningBeam.

Also the Rayovac Indestructible 2xAA light (home depot) is a pretty tough little light and might survive better in a work environment. I have probably five of these, use as car lights, garage light, toolbox, loaner, etc. These might be your best bet, they are a simple two mode, high and low, with decent runtimes.

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened
You might want to try the UST Moonforce 2xAA lights. They put out 120 lumens, and have good runtimes also. I think you can find them for around $20-$25.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

CodyCash

Newly Enlightened
The Thrunite T10 2014 runs about $26 and puts out 169 lumens and has a firefly mode. It would be my pick

Chay

Newly Enlightened
How about the Fenix E12? Maximum lumens of 130, goes for about $20-30. Single AA.

Berneck1

Enlightened
That search engine is awesome!!

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

DietMaple

Newly Enlightened

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nexpensive-little-AA-light-Sipik68-amp-Clones

Runtime?

If you want something a little better quality but still decent price might try ShiningBeam.

Also the Rayovac Indestructible 2xAA light (home depot) is a pretty tough little light and might survive better in a work environment. I have probably five of these, use as car lights, garage light, toolbox, loaner, etc. These might be your best bet, they are a simple two mode, high and low, with decent runtimes.

Thank you for the welcome and recommendations. I will check them out. Looks good.

Runtime is not that important. Maybe 40 minutes on a single AA.

Under $20 would be awesome.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Coast HP1 and I am very impressed. I don't think it is possible to do better in quality and utility for the money. I don't see them listed on the manufacturer's web site, so perhaps they are no longer manufactured. But they are still available from resellers. Let me extol some of the virtues of this light.

The Coast HP1 is a single-mode forward clicky with momentary on. It accepts AA and 14500 for about 100lm or 200lm. There is a spring in the tail as well as the head. It has a smooth Flood-to-Throw mechanism. The body is anodized aluminum and very solid, heavier than expected, but a nice weight for its size. The clip is solid, will not slip away when clipped. It tail stands like a champ. The tint is a cool white, and I detect no green cast, just pure white. The only things anyone could complain about is the plastic optic, which is probably necessary for its Flood-to-Throw function, and the cause of the imperfections in its beam shots which are a little ringy in flood. Also, its tail switch is recessed a little far such that it is tricky at first to operate with a fat thumb, but this surely prevents accidental pocket activation. I'm not sure about runtime yet, but so far it has exeeded my expectations of light capacity off an old off-brand alkaline. My guess is it probably will do about 2 hours until it gets to half as bright on a good AA... just a guess.

65uaa6ct.jpg
bH3xTwqt.jpg

Better score 2 or 5 of these before they disappear! Crazy good value.

edit: When I posted, the link above was to a $9.99 sale. Price has gone up at least twice since then, now at $15.63. The crazy good value is dwindling :/ Still available for about $13 on the Bay. I wish manufacturers would freeze a model once it is acknowledged to be popular based on value or utility, and spin it off into endless production and availability. Instead, for no conceivable benefit to themselves, some companies seem to want to artificially inflate the prices of their most popular and most successful models by ceasing production, or "upgrading" models with feature creep, and making the originals rare and too valuable for their intended purpose... ahem-hem, Surefire, FourSevens, Maratac, et al.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Runtime?

+2 I have both of the lights mentioned and they are the best bang for the $...so much so that you like them and want to 'not' lose them...but if you do it's not a big deal.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Y'all mention some nice options. Cheap being a relative term.

I like the Nitecore EA11. Running on 14500s. Picked up via group buy is a hard act to follow.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
the stary light SA-22 is 800 lumens (maybe) and only 25$. Tough to beat IMO. If you can handle 4 AAs, the bang for your buck just can't get better. The only 4xAA light that has more lumens costs4 times as much.
At work we have a real need for LED flashlights that are of pretty low cost. Have pretty high lumen output and take AA batteries. Now these lights are mostly throw aways because they are abused and are left around. Recently we lost some $50 fenix LD lights and well it sucks.

In the local store they have a brand named Dorcy which is 25 lumens and much cheaper than the inova x1. But I'd really like something with a greater output. Does anything like this exist?