Big Jim (PAR36 Lantern) Hotwire List

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate your volunteering me for destructive testing duty. :wave:

But before I accept the assignment, I've pinged GE Lighting on this thermal shock question.

What is the wattage of your 6V PAR36 -- 20W? The 4509/Q4509 is rated at 100W. Apparently, the Q4509 can get hot enough to cook the reflector if the lamp isn't kept cool enough.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I
What is the wattage of your 6V PAR36 -- 20W?

Its Only 30W...probably a touch more when pushed to 7.2V of 4 ( 2S/2P 18650's)

I read about the Q4509 cooking the reflector.....I was just thinking out of all the 100/150/250W lamps I have pushed in mags and the silly long runtimes I have used them ( got quite hot to the touch/ Also used outside in rain etc. etc I have never cracked a lenze ( although Boro Glass if that helps)

So it will be interesting to see what they come back with for the 100W range!!!

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boro definitely helps, since that glass composition has very low thermal expansion and thus can withstand greater temperature deltas vs regular glass. It's hard to make a 1-to-1 comparison between a Mag window vs a PAR36 glass envelope because of different shape, glass thickness, degree of constraint, etc. That changes the mechanics of the situation.

scout24

Flashaholic
I realize this is an old thread, but I have a question: At what point in the modding process would you replace the stock switch with something more robust? Thanks in advance...

Edit- After re-reading the first post, I see the stock switch should be fine beyond where I would go... 30w H4515 and a 7 cell R/C pack should keep me happy for now.. 😁😁😁

Last edited: