Brightest with Good Flood - 2x"AA" ???

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Ok... as I see there are several of these types of threads out there currently,.. but I'd like to get some suggestions for "my" specific needs if that's "OK"? :)

Basically I do Plumbing and elec work where I'm constantly crawling in dark spaces and looking under, behind, and around god know what all to see something that's covered or hidden in the dark..

We had been using the 2xAA mag's (LED and Incan.) .. but those were very limited in their performance IMO...

Here's the list of "Requirements" if you will

1. 20-30.00 price range - Very high possibility of getting lost, stolen, or misplaced - :mecry:

2. 2X"AA" Batterys - As these can be picked up at any fillingstation or shop

3. LOTS OF LUMENS! :grin2: The Brighter and more output the better.

4. Needs to have a decent Flood/Spill vs. Spot - Lots of throw is not a requirement.

5. Fairly Durable and rugged - Doesn't need to really be "water proof" though.

6. Prefer only a single or Dual mode - Don't really need many other options than that for this Application.

Here's a list of what I currently have,.. and how I think they've performed..

Maglite - 2xAA MiniMag w/ TEL-5EX and Tail clicky - Good output w/ excellent "flood" - A bit heavy (?) and could use a bit more output

KingPower K2 - Seems pretty good,.. A little underpowered in the "Brightness" catagory. Decent flood though, and seems well built

Small Sun ZYC61 - I've been pretty impressed with this little (and inexpensive) light - it is pretty bright (Brightest of the 3 listed) and has a lot of throw - Not a lot of Flood though,.. but for 12 bucks it's hard to beat in any catagory and if I lost it I wouldn't be crying do the small amount of the replacement cost.

So now that I've laid everything on the table,.. you guys have any better suggestions?

:popcorn:

Thanks in advance,
Rick

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to suggest the Fenix E20, but it sounds like you want something brighter. I think you might want to try some other battery types if you really want more output.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is your price range, I don't know any lights that cheap... :shrug:

I know something of flood though, as I'm myself more on the flood than on the throw side.

Then it's your battery requirement which doesn't leave many options. Let's try, but they are all about double price :

Quark AA-2 tactical : 2 modes, choosable, Big hotspot, well-lit spill.

Zebralight 501(w) : This is 1 x AA and "only" 96 (cool white) and 80 (neutral white) Lumen, but nothing but flood and you can wear it on your front.

Last but not least - Liteflux LF3XT. It's CR123A, but you can have a 2 x AA tube with it. The best beam I know from a Cree. Completely programmable, 1 mode, 5 modes, as you want it to be.

sparkysko

Enlightened
Zebralight? I think with 2xAA's you still pretty much run into the thermal dissipation problems of 1xAA lights. Any brightness with an LED that you can get with 2xAA's I'm sure you can get with 1x14500.

In any case, I think you're going to be hard pressed to find lights that exceed 1 amp at the LED. In real world applications, I don't think you'd notice between a 1xAA and a 2xAA. If you're willing to step up in size, you can get a multi-die LED light that would be brighter, but these have to be big to provide heatsinking.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-122/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-II-Cree/Detail

Its kind of like the mini mag on steroids and if you slip a clear cap from a water bottle on it the flood is excellent.

If you prefer a tint more like an incan
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-163/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-WW/Detail

The rc-n3 might not be a bad choice and as you said especially with a diffuser. A clear or white film cannister also fits perfectly on the head of the rc-n3.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies guys!!!

From what I'm reading here,.. at the price point I'd like to be at,.. well I'm probably at the best performance that's available there (?)..

I had originally looked at the Romisen RC-N3 II as was suggested by some folks here previously,.. but when I contacted Bryan at Shiningbeam he suggested that the Kingpower K2 would probably be a better option than the Romisen,... so I went with that,... and honestly it's pretty good,.. it's got the best overall flood/beam/brightness of the bunch I think,.. all though I don't like having to toggle through the modes everytime I turn it off :( ... wonder if there's a way around that (?) .. if so, that would be a plus :)

Now that Romisen RC-C6 + N3 has got me a bit interested (Hmmm.... ) ... with a AA Tube extension and focusable beam,.. that's in the right price range and might come in very handy :)

I don't think I'd really use the Head beam set up,.. all though I think it's great in application and all,.. I just don't think I'd carry it around with me all the time,.. right now I'll either keep the 2xAA light in my carpenter pant side pocket or in it's sheath on my belt ..

I also like the larger size of the 2xAA's as they are easier to hold on to and grip vs. the smaller 1xAA size lights..

Hmm... thinking,.... thinking....

:D

Thanks
Rick

Burgess

Flashaholic
Have you tried the "New", latest version of Mini-MagLED ?

This one has a Rebel LED emitter, and is much brighter than
the "old" Luxeon LED version.

New version is Multi-Mode, and just out for a couple months now.

Just a thought.

Good luck in yer' quest to find the Perfect Flashlight.

:candle:
_

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-122/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-II-Cree/Detail

Its kind of like the mini mag on steroids and if you slip a clear cap from a water bottle on it the flood is excellent.

If you prefer a tint more like an incan
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-163/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-WW/Detail

+1 on those two, they're great budget lights (i own both). They work great running on 1xRCR123s as well, i got about 45 minutes for the RC N3 II and 40-42 minutes from the RC N3 warmwhite using RCR123s.

you can just put some masking tape over the lens for a cheap disposable diffuser solution, i havent tried it yet but i am thinking that a bottle cap may fit. Will check and post if it does.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best advice for a proper workers light (that's going to get dropped/knocked about often - don't think it won't because it will!!) - don't buy these cheap, crappy $20 lights - one or two big drops and you will be left in tears!!

Get a good light, e.g Nitecore D20 and you will be all set. 180 lumens with a largely floody beam with good throw - perfect for close up use of plumbers, electricians, motor mechanics etc.

Simple UI, click on & click off with a metal button - no rubber cap to tear. You only change the output if need be - with experience, most workers use their D20's on max all the time anyway!

I think 4sevens still has the Q5 model for under $59.00 USD.

Best way to sum up, if you want a toy light with the blinky modes and bull^&*t lumen output numbers, go with a DX light.

If you want a 'workers light' that is going to cope well with heavy use, go a D20, Quark, Surefire etc.

James.....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd heartily agree with the D20 and would also have suggested the Jetbeam Jet I EX v2, its got 3 individually programmable modes so, unlike the D20, you wont lose your preset mode when you go to minimum or max (which you would have programmed in) its got strobes etc only if you want to see them.

BUT i was keeping to OP's criteria about budget :D

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
A diffuser will make almost any lights beam very floody, and can be removed if you want the throw. Either a translucent plastic cap or some 'Write-Right' film [from Fellows, here is a review] that just sticks to the glass.

As for a light, I would recommend the single AA Zebralight. It is about the smallest AA light available, so even with the headband it is much easier to carry than any 2xAA light. Well made and very floody. It is above the budget you mentioned though. I really think using it as a headlamp would be perfect for when you're jimmying your body under sinks etc.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beyond your requested price range, but a LF3XT with the 2xAA tube accessory would be ideal if you require more throw than the Zebralight 501 can offer.

The floody beams of the LF2XT, LF3XT, and LF5XT are probably my favorite beams available right now.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
I've actually had quite good experiences with this Tank007 light. It's below your price range, but I'm guessing that's not a problem.

Very floody and bright, surprisingly durable, clicky, and cheap.

I got lost at night in Yosemite Valley this weekend, and my main light's battery was dead; this one guided me around just fine for quite some time.