Budget Lights forum

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Budget light goes beyond dollars

When considering "budget" or 'bargain"/"value" lights and their place in the lighting world... also consider how many new enthusiasts they bring to the hobby as well. People can buy a half dozen 501/502b lights, explore the endless options of the p60 drop-in, then move on to something more advanced. Or they can buy a single 1AA Fenix, have a damn nice light... and nothing else.

There's a certain value to entry level price-point lights... they play the part of the gateway drug for many.

Very well put Jason. +1 every flashlight has a pocket somewhere in somebody's adventures!!

sealover1

Newly Enlightened
Love the idea of budget light but its worries me if they may blow up in my pocket has anyone seen the ecig vids of cheap ones with 1860 batteries blowing up? Seen one today scary stuff

abong

Newly Enlightened
What makes a Ferrari $100,000 more than a Ford?

lol, i like this kind of answer, this will make people think before asking

You're totally ignoring build quality, safety, technology, advanced styling, handling and performance. They will both go from point A to point B, there the comparison ends.

Norm

and this is misunderstanding from what mvyrmnd explain

LockNinja

Newly Enlightened
I saved up 30.00 bucks and got a rovyvon and he now lives on my jacket zipper and the brim of my ballcap. I never go anywhere without him. I drop him all the time and he just keeps on working. I dont even have to replace batteries, just plug in and all charged in no time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My minimag from 1996? The 2D from 1989? A 2D LED from around 2014? An LED Solitaire from 2014? All under $20.
In other words Maglite LED products in general, many being $20 and less.

Another jewel is the $9 Fenix E01 from around 2011.

Time will tell if the new kids on the block hold out.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you guys name a budget yet reliable light guys?

I would add to Bykfixer's list of Mags the 2 AAA Mini Mg LED and the 2C ML25. The 3C Mag ML50 is another excellent budget light.

The 2 AA Rayovac indestructible is a good reliable budget light as well - just be careful not to cross thread the plastic tailcap when changing the batteries!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 2 AA Rayovac indestructible is a good reliable budget light as well - just be careful not to cross thread the plastic tailcap when changing the batteries!

The orginal Indestructable (150 lumen if I recall correct) had switch reliability issues. It seems the updated versions no longer have the issue.

Back when the original was out I went to Rayovac website to find a place to buy one after reading here that the module was a P60 type. My local stores did not carry them yet. At the website there were hundreds of 1 star reviews based on the switch failing. I thought a little more positive about the Rayovac company since all those bad reviews were allowed to be posted, but also thought less of them for producing a product called Indestructable that had such a cheesy clicky switch. Later on the reviews became more favorable as the newer version was reaching store shelves.

To get around the switch issue I just clicked the light to on and twist the tailcap for on/off. I put the original module in a SolarForce 3P clone body and put a Malkoff M31 in the Rayovac with a metal SolarForce head on it. I've yet to find a tailcap that will swap out.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main issue with the switch was the housing would split. I have on that did, and Rayovac couldn't send me a replacement. They did provide a coupon for a new light though. Now, of course, I can't find a H&M's retailer near me...

The orginal Indestructable (150 lumen if I recall correct) had switch reliability issues. It seems the updated versions no longer have the issue.

Back when the original was out I went to Rayovac website to find a place to buy one after reading here that the module was a P60 type. My local stores did not carry them yet. At the website there were hundreds of 1 star reviews based on the switch failing. I thought a little more positive about the Rayovac company since all those bad reviews were allowed to be posted, but also thought less of them for producing a product called Indestructable that had such a cheesy clicky switch. Later on the reviews became more favorable as the newer version was reaching store shelves.

To get around the switch issue I just clicked the light to on and twist the tailcap for on/off. I put the original module in a SolarForce 3P clone body and put a Malkoff M31 in the Rayovac with a metal SolarForce head on it. I've yet to find a tailcap that will swap out.

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
I just received the FireflyLite E07 2021 Version Nichia 219B 4000K SW40 D220 R9080 and it's an incredible value with the holiday special price. The lighted electronic switch is the most responsive of any Anduril light I have ever purchased and the hand feel is second to none. Visually, the navy blue and stainless steel bezel looks stunning and the magnet is exceptional strong. Take my favorite emitter with my favorite color temperature and combine it with my favorite user interface (Anduril 1) and I just received one of the most special lights I have ever purchased per dollar. All this for a measly 55 bucks. This one goes straight to the top of the value per dollar food chain for me.

Last edited:

codybene

Newly Enlightened
so I still have in my glove compartment a tiny flashlight my dad gave me like 20 yrs ago, he bought a pack of 3 at a dollar store probably.. can't even remember, but he gave me one and one to my mom (for emergencies), I got the red one, my mom got a silver one and he kept the blue one.

That little thing uses 1 AA battery and it's been around with me EVERYWHERE, and the little thing is USEFUL as heck.
So it's kind of a treasure at this point, and is a cool thing when I got back at my parents' and suddenly mom goes to the basement for something and gets her silver little flashlight, or dad goes to the garage at night and you can see how he takes out his blue light. A cool family thing... best budget light for me

Poppy

Flashaholic
Re: Budget light goes beyond dollars

When considering "budget" or 'bargain"/"value" lights and their place in the lighting world... also consider how many new enthusiasts they bring to the hobby as well. People can buy a half dozen 501/502b lights, explore the endless options of the p60 drop-in, then move on to something more advanced. Or they can buy a single 1AA Fenix, have a damn nice light... and nothing else.

There's a certain value to entry level price-point lights... they play the part of the gateway drug for many.
Now that this thread has been revived, I looked back at a couple of the older responses. A trip down memory lane.

Wow! Remember when the 501/502b lights were all the rage in budget lights? Solarforce was a step up for sure. P60 drop ins? Not much talk about them anymore.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
The two budget lights I've settled on are both Streamlights; the 1L-1AA and the MicroStream. Both fill a specific purpose in my daily activities, are tough and won't break the bank if I lose one or both of them ;)

Attachments

• ZVTZd0h[1].jpg
    ZVTZd0h[1].jpg
    418 KB · Views: 89
  • 4DN5Oh4[1].jpg
    4DN5Oh4[1].jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 87

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My current favorite budget light is the one in the bottom of my pocket every day, the Nitecore Tiki LE. It's just so light and tiny. When its battery finally stops charging I'll probably get another.

Geoff

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
P60 drop ins? Not much talk about them anymore.
I don't talk about them that much but in the Wintertime I was buying all kinds of these for Surefire 6P/9P but after getting an Elzetta Charlie I kinda lost interest because well it is just better than any upgrade I got for it. Ebay has been useful in helping me get bulbs and LED modules. I need to make a purchase from Gene but I don't know if he will let me use that 20 or so % off on a large order.