Buyer Beware regarding this JETBeam Light for $29.99 :(

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
I just came across this for sale on eBay. The Seller is located in China, registered on 9/5, and he already has 10 Buyers.
'Buyer beware' never rung more true, as well as 'if it looks too good to be true, it is.'
I got a good laugh on this one :), at their expense. >>

JETBeam M2S SST-50 1000 Lumens LED Flashlight

The only place the Buyers will ever see this light is in the posted pictures.
I guess they were looking to throw $29.99 away.

I didn't know if this was the right place to post this.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
From the surface of it it does appear legit. What is your reasoning behind that the seller does not in fact have a functioning unit? Upon grounds of absent pictures alone? :thinking:
Where you a previous buyer?

Syndil

Newly Enlightened
With eBay's buyer protection you're not going to be out any cash if you don't receive the item anyway, so there's very little risk involved. Worst case is that they send you a knock-off.

Ping Pong

Newly Enlightened
I just came across this for sale on eBay. The Seller is located in China, registered on 9/5, and he already has 10 Buyers.
'Buyer beware' never rung more true, as well as 'if it looks too good to be true, it is.'

Why not wait a few days to see if the buyers take delivery? :shrug:

Tally-ho

Banned
Zero evaluation to the seller but when considering 26$ + free shipping, i must confess that:

:takeit:

But only in my tonight's dreams.
dodox.gif

In china it is possible to do business with 5 pictures...wait, 10 pictures !

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does have buyer protection. Ive dealt with ebays protection myself when sold a fake knife. Took some time, but ebay themselves refunded my purchase.

Tally-ho

Banned
Took some time
So a seller has time to close his account and run with some free few bucks. How many times a month ? Maybe not so often since he needs really, really gullible/credulous victims, but who knows.

Last edited:

biker1

Enlightened
From the surface of it it does appear legit. What is your reasoning behind that the seller does not in fact have a functioning unit? Upon grounds of absent pictures alone? :thinking:
Where you a previous buyer?

I just came across this item when I was checking out ebay today. I have purchased other items, and have sold a few. I would waste my time with this deal though, as it could be a pain in the arse getting your money back.
Buyers have attempted to pull scams on me, as well as Sellers.
One seller was in China, btw, and it took me over a month to get the money back. It was only $30.00, but the process was still time consuming, writing to the seller, and ebay, etc. Nigerian scammers, chinese scammers, etc. Happened 3 times. You get a feel for deals that seem to good to be true. This is one of them.
Especially when seeing new sellers pop up, without any history, especially when from china.
There was a Seller with 350 positive Feedback, but it turned out his account was hijacked, and it was the scammer selling, not the original account holder. Alot of crap stuff goes on in ebay, and patterns are usually easy to spot, to be aware of.

biker1

Enlightened
Why not wait a few days to see if the buyers take delivery? :shrug:

I did go to look for feedback, and then saw the history of the buyers and the seller.
It will be interesting to wait a couple of weeks to see the feedback. It will most likely be a month before we hear anything though. If I am wrong, I will buy many and sell them at a nice price to everyone :)

Nokoff

Enlightened
looks like a good call, the listing has been removed.

biker1

Enlightened
There were 2 listings. Warnings filed, and then 1st listing removed shortly after.
Saw 2nd listing, ebay notified, and I sent an email to the s*umba*.
I will check if that listing was removed also.

Saved a lot of buyers grief. They should chip in, and buy me a M2S lol!!

I also let Bugoutgear know, who also notified ebay.

EDIT >>

2nd Listing removed. No more M2S's for sale............................
Sent the Bast**rds back home to their mommies :)

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I just came across this item when I was checking out ebay today. I have purchased other items, and have sold a few. I would waste my time with this deal though, as it could be a pain in the arse getting your money back.
Buyers have attempted to pull scams on me, as well as Sellers.
One seller was in China, btw, and it took me over a month to get the money back. It was only $30.00, but the process was still time consuming, writing to the seller, and ebay, etc. Nigerian scammers, chinese scammers, etc. Happened 3 times. You get a feel for deals that seem to good to be true. This is one of them.
Especially when seeing new sellers pop up, without any history, especially when from china.
There was a Seller with 350 positive Feedback, but it turned out his account was hijacked, and it was the scammer selling, not the original account holder. Alot of crap stuff goes on in ebay, and patterns are usually easy to spot, to be aware of.

Thanks for the education on Caveat emptor Biker1 :)
I've stayed away from ebay for so long I lost familiarity with it, would you say that the scamming aspect of this seller is too obvious from the price alone?

biker1

Enlightened
Thanks for the education on Caveat emptor Biker1 :)
I've stayed away from ebay for so long I lost familiarity with it, would you say that the scamming aspect of this seller is too obvious from the price alone?

The suspicious pricing was just one factor, but in it of itself, a conclusion could not be made based on this one factor alone.
But when you see >
1) new seller (joined within last week, at least under the name he gave this time)
2) 0 Feedback
3) no one received items yet, due to purchase in last couple of days
4) seller listed China as country origin (this fact alone does not determine guilt or fraud, but it is another piece of the puzzle to be factored in with other possible suspicious behaviors or trends)
5) the pattern fit that of a Scammer, after all of the above factored in.

Starts to become easier to spot a pattern that may warrant further investigation, to determine if there is a Scammer running lose, or a Good Guy, so to speak.

Easy to spot, especially when it comes to laptops. Scammers abound on eBay.
1) Seller puts Laptop up for bidding. Bidding going nicely, then with a couple of hours lest, Buyers appear with 0 Feedback, who joined very recently. That alone does not one come to a negative conclusion, as everyone has to start somewhere, But it is a piece of a Pattern that one is looking for.
The Buyer bids aggressively, bumping the price way up from where it has been for a while, almost past the point of the value of the Laptop. (Scammers can do this because they are not going to pay anyway)
2) But then after the Buyer wins, he wants the Laptop shipped to Nigeria, Ukraine, etc. which is a Red Flag, because these are the 2 Main Scamming countries on eBay, and in the rest of the world. There are legitimate buyers and sellers of course in these countries, But better safe than sorry, especially when the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

There are other signs, but the above is just a summary.
Sorry for the long, winded, explanation to your one question :)

Btw, when I first joined eBay, I was oblivious to all this, until you get involved with scammers, and begin to see the patterns. Also searching around the web to enlighten me on the scammers has helped a lot. In fact, I have alerted various Sellers of Laptops to potential Buyers that fit the scamming pattern, who were bidding on their Laptops. I could not be 100% sure, but I alerted the Sellers to just be aware and alert.
Laptop Buyer Scammers are all over eBay.

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Biker,

I'm w/ you on this. I sold on Eb@y for 10 years and you'd see all sorts of scams and frauds.

BIN items at ridiculous prices is just "too good to be true". I mean if you saw someone selling Malkoff M61s for $29.99 wouldn't you be suspicious?

In tough economic times the scammers come out of the woodwork. In good economic times more scammers come out of the woodwork...