Opinions on Jetbeam

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ring was tight as is, but I wanted to try an oring I had laying around. Probably won't last forever but it does work

The short clip is a must on this light.

IMG_4476.jpeg

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Lumintop PK21.
8100 rated Lumens.
About $10 less expensive than the M64.
Aggressive knurling.
Throws about 15 feet further than the M64.
Four ceramic balls on the tailcap for breaking car windows.
Thanks Mono. I checked that out, and all in all, I like the Jetbeam better. I like the sleeker design, the smaller head diameter, the switch, and the cooling fin design better. I also like the SBT90 emitter for this style of light. Looking at youtube reviews, it looks like the M64 has a bit tighter hot spot. The "factory" numbers are a bit higher for the PK21, but with factory numbers, who knows how much overstated they are for either one, and as you said, may not really mean much, or be detectable to the human eye.

It seems that the lower price could be because the batteries aren't included, from the few sales listings that I looked up, where they are included with the Jetbeam. It also seems that the PK21 calls for unprotected cells. I don't know if that means that protected cells would be too long, but I always prefer protected. Mine is supposed to be here the day after Thanksgiving, so I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

Thanks again for the suggestions and info.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
My ring was tight as is, but I wanted to try an oring I had laying around. Probably won't last forever but it does work
That's a good looking little light, and a good idea with the o-ring. It should actually last quite a while before wearing out, I would think. It's not like you need to rotate the ring tons of revolutions.

It was mentioned earlier about using the higher viscosity grease on the ring. I have some white grease that I will look at. I haven't used it in a while, but I remember it being pretty thick and "gummy". I forget if it was lithium or dielectric at the moment, but it could possibly stiffen up the ring a bit, as well as using the o-ring.

The clip too, looks like it will hold the light where it needs to be in the pants pocket. I've found that even with a bit thicker or longer light, it is much more comfortable when clipped to the pocket, as opposed to being dropped all the way down into the pocket with no clip. Thanks for the info.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks Mono. I checked that out, and all in all, I like the Jetbeam better. I like the sleeker design, the smaller head diameter, the switch, and the cooling fin design better. I also like the SBT90 emitter for this style of light. Looking at youtube reviews, it looks like the M64 has a bit tighter hot spot. The "factory" numbers are a bit higher for the PK21, but with factory numbers, who knows how much overstated they are for either one, and as you said, may not really mean much, or be detectable to the human eye.

It seems that the lower price could be because the batteries aren't included, from the few sales listings that I looked up, where they are included with the Jetbeam. It also seems that the PK21 calls for unprotected cells. I don't know if that means that protected cells would be too long, but I always prefer protected. Mine is supposed to be here the day after Thanksgiving, so I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

Yeah, the cooling fins on the M64 are an advantage.

Generally speaking, if a light calls for using Unprotected cells, you can use Protected ones. But not with all models. And, until you try it; you never know on a particular light. For many, not worth the attempt. At least, that's been my experience. I'm sure others will say to only use Unprotected ones. With Unprotected ones, the instant the high output kicks down, time to immediately stop using the light. With a hand-held search light, hopefully you brought along extra cells already charged up to swap out. Though for serious use, same for Protected cells.

Rated lumens means very little with these types of lights. Candela is far more important. I nearly bought a Nitecore P10ix awhile back. 4000 lumens of output.... Unfortunately, all of it flood! Yeah, I don't need that. It could barely reach out even a short distance. Ended up buying the latest version of the Nitecore MH12S instead. Only 1800 lumens but a great combination of both flood and throw. Just what I was looking for.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I very recently picked up a Jetbeam M64, 2x21700 Search light.

Hey Mono, I wonder if you could do me a favor, and check out something on your M64. I got mine today, and something seems odd.

When I shine it on something dark outside, the hot spot seems to be darker in the center, as if the hot spot is a ring. Not up close, or in the house, or on something light colored, but if you shine it on a dark flat wall around 50 to 70 feet away, it's definitely noticeable.

It doesn't look like that in the youtube vids I watched, unless their cameras aren't picking it up, but I noticed it as soon as I shined it around outside. It doesn't get completely black in the center, but it's definitely darker, with a little bit of a ring effect, and noticeable on something like a dark red brick wall, or my neighbor's dark red shed.

Update: Maybe I'm over-reacting. I just checked out my Acebeam K75, which has the same emitter, and I guess it has somewhat the same effect, maybe not quite as pronounced. I never noticed it before, but I don't really use it alot either. I guess the camera just doesn't pick it up in the YT vids because of the brightness.

Well, if you get a chance to go outside and play with flashlights, see if your M64 gets a little darker in the center of the hot spot on a dark flat surface at 30 to 50 feet. I guess I noticed it because there's a dark red brick building across the street, and that's where it's most pronounced.

All in all I like the light, the size, the feel, the UI, the finish, etc. Gotta take them all down to the river where I can shine them on the rock face about 3/4 mile on the other side.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Home tonight, and the next night. But I can test it out at my 3rd Shift job on Friday night, and report what I see Saturday morning. Unfortunately my neighborhood and the street directly below my apartment has far too much light pollution from overhead street lamps to give an accurate perfect look at the beam. But the wide, darkened parking lot on the West side at my job would be ideal. I'll post an update on Saturday morning. Sorry, that's the earliest I can take care of that.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'll post an update on Saturday morning. Sorry, that's the earliest I can take care of that.
No problem. I checked them out a little closer down at the river - the M64, the K75, and the T28. Getting out to a decent distance, the center shadow isn't noticeable at all. You can actually see it if you hold it up to your hand from a couple of inches away. Then, like I said, you can see it a little at 30 to 50 ft. against a dark surface, but at greater distances it's not noticeable.

I'm convinced that it's not some sort of defect, especially since my K75 does it too. Maybe it's a characteristic of the emitter, or of long throwing lights in general.

Overall, I like the performance of the M64 very well. For its size, it covers some good distance very well, with good spill. It's length is between a 2C and 3C Maglite, and the head diameter is just slightly larger than the Mag. Not bad at all for a light with that kind of performance, IMO.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hit & Miss as well for me.
Though practically all of the misses were with their older models.
Their newer ones are much better designed.

Still, I very recently picked up a Jetbeam M64, 2x21700 Search light.

For me, Jetbeam was always a "miss", at least for the ones I bought many years ago

Enough of a "miss" that I haven't given them a serious look since

But now I'm going to have to re-evaluate them and try out a M64

Thanks Monocrom, like I need another reason to buy a flashlight :rolleyes:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For me, Jetbeam was always a "miss", at least for the ones I bought many years ago

Enough of a "miss" that I haven't given them a serious look since

But now I'm going to have to re-evaluate them and try out a M64

Thanks Monocrom, like I need another reason to buy a flashlight :rolleyes:
Happy to help. Will add your wallet to the list of those who dislike me. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No problem. I checked them out a little closer down at the river - the M64, the K75, and the T28. Getting out to a decent distance, the center shadow isn't noticeable at all. You can actually see it if you hold it up to your hand from a couple of inches away. Then, like I said, you can see it a little at 30 to 50 ft. against a dark surface, but at greater distances it's not noticeable.

I'm convinced that it's not some sort of defect, especially since my K75 does it too. Maybe it's a characteristic of the emitter, or of long throwing lights in general.

Overall, I like the performance of the M64 very well. For its size, it covers some good distance very well, with good spill. It's length is between a 2C and 3C Maglite, and the head diameter is just slightly larger than the Mag. Not bad at all for a light with that kind of performance, IMO.
Sorry for the delay. Work was absolutely exhausting. Collapsed into bed soon after getting home in the morning. Though I did get a chance to test out my M64. Ironically, got similar results you did from approximately 30-50 feet away. Usually when I use mine though, it's at longer distances. So, never noticed the issue. On mine it's quite minor though. Hope this helps.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Though I did get a chance to test out my M64. Ironically, got similar results you did from approximately 30-50 feet away.

Thanks for checking that out, Mono. I agree, it's pretty minor, and not a big deal. It's a nice light.

Takes a little getting used to how the mode steps change direction, but it's an interesting feature that I've never had before.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'll he honest, the fact that the e-switch button near the bezel takes a second to actually turn the light on; kinda bothers me. But I can get used to it.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I have been debating getting an M30 flashlight which is basically a copy of the surefire M6. It is just shorter, LED only and comes with 2 18350 batteries. It is really tempting. I am hoping someone owns one and can tell me about it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have been debating getting an M30 flashlight which is basically a copy of the surefire M6. It is just shorter, LED only and comes with 2 18350 batteries. It is really tempting. I am hoping someone owns one and can tell me about it.
Don't own one. But last night at work, I realized my Jetbeam M64 is basically a huge Update of my Custom Leef-Bodied SureFire M4. No, not 100%. But close enough. Interesting story behind that M4. But truth is, never got to use it. The whole Screaming Bright LED sudden Evolution took hold very shortly after I got it. Didn't order spare bulbs for it. Even if I had, they'd all be used up long before now. But now I have my M64. Literally one of the best lights I own. And looking at my massive collection, that's saying something.

Honestly, if you have an old M6 that isn't getting use. Just taking up space. Do yourself a favor, get the M30. If you don't have an M6 already, becomes a tougher decision.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened

All sold out on Lumintop site.

I could be persuaded to pick up an M30 on looks alone, had a SF M6 years ago.