Opinions on Jetbeam

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'm eyeballing a Jetbeam light. I've never had one, and am wondering about their reliability, customer service, etc. Do they seem to be comparable to the other Asian manufacturers, better, worse, etc.?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hit & Miss as well for me.
Though practically all of the misses were with their older models.
Their newer ones are much better designed. I recall around 20 years ago, Jetbeam was one of if not the first flashlight company to use a 2-Way clip that is common as dirt nowadays. Innovative.... Unfortunately they screwed it up royally! It was a very short, very thick, 2-Way clip, but ironically designed only for bezel-up carry in a pocket. Not bezel-down.

They put it on their old Jetbeam III Military Pro model. Got the LED light about 20 years ago. Very excited. Held it in my hand once, instantly knew I would never carry or use it. That's how bad it was. I put it back in its box. Put the box into a cabinet that is literally directly behind me as I type this. It's still there. Sitting in its box the whole time. I don't even have to get up and check. I know it's still back there. Should have returned it, given it away, or sold it. But it was so horribly uncomfortable to hold that I just didn't bother. Yes, it's THAT bad. Didn't bother to do anything with it.

Still, I very recently picked up a Jetbeam M64, 2x21700 Search light. Awhile back got their Jet-Mu 1AAA model. Took the clip off. Put a small lobster claw key-ring attachment on it. Fantastic little AAA keychain light. Also bought the 1AA version of the very same light. Happy with all of my most recent Jetbeam models.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today's Jetbeam is excellent quality.
Their MCPCBs are copper and screwed down. They use thermal paste as well.

The metal is a bit heavier than other Chinese lights. The finish is better. Their email support is responsive.

I buy Jetbeam parts for certain builds.

The RRT01 is probably the most versatile light on the market today. I can get down sun lumen and up to 500 or so lumens…I don't know another light that will do that.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today's Jetbeam is excellent quality.
....The RRT01 is probably the most versatile light on the market today. I can get down sun lumen and up to 500 or so lumens…I don't know another light that will do that.
+

Highlighted the RRT01 as it being a fav of mine,
on a newer one, running a 18500 with one extension is unique/great light.

It'll do the lowest output of any light available

Ocelot808

Enlightened
The RRT01 is a fantastic light with its variable brightness ring design. It's a must have. The undisputed heavyweight world champion of "how low can you go" sub-sub-sub lumen capability. The brightness ring is such a joy to use it amazes me it's not copied by other manufacturers (except the HDS Rotary). Get one!

Just picked up their M30 Dagger. Which is an absolute "mini" dead-ringer for the venerable early 2000s Surefire M6 Guardian. It's a phenomenal outdoor light with an SFT70. Downside is a wonky battery carrier setup (like the SF M6) but can be modded for a 21700.

Also I like the M37 Crossbow (esp in MAO white). A friend has one modded with a Cree XHP50.3HI 90CRI 5000K that is sublime. Styling cues very directly from the old legacy Surefire C-series 4 flat side body design.

Overall I'm rather impressed by the build quality and design. I think you will be happy.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their newer ones are much better designed. I recall around 20 years ago, Jetbeam was one of if not the first flashlight company to use a 2-Way clip that is common as dirt nowadays. Innovative.... Unfortunately they screwed it up royally! It was a very short, very thick, 2-Way clip, but ironically designed only for bezel-up carry in a pocket. Not bezel-down.

They put it on their old Jetbeam III Military Pro model. Got the LED light about 20 years ago. Very excited. Held it in my hand once, instantly knew I would never carry or use it. That's how bad it was.

I really loved the Jetbeam Jet III-M model (removed the horrid clip) it was my primary duty light till I later purchased the Klarus XT11 3 years later (significant improvement in LED tech had occurred), however I am fairly certain they only came out around 2008, not sure exactly when the later varIant's were released though.

SelfBuilt's 2008 review can be seen @ Here

20231119_134415.jpg

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
The RRT01 is a fantastic light with its variable brightness ring design. It's a must have. The undisputed heavyweight world champion of "how low can you go" sub-sub-sub lumen capability. The brightness ring is such a joy to use it amazes me it's not copied by other manufacturers (except the HDS Rotary). Get one!

I just checked out some reviews on that RRT01. It does look pretty interesting & different from what I'm used to. I had not been familiar with it. I may try one with the warmer Nichia option, since most of my lights are of a cooler tint.

I've been checking out that M64 for a while. Looks like a decent thrower, without being overly large in size.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I just checked out some reviews on that RRT01. It does look pretty interesting & different from what I'm used to. I had not been familiar with it. I may try one with the warmer Nichia option, since most of my lights are of a cooler tint.

I've been checking out that M64 for a while.
I've got the warmer Nichia (4000K) version of the RRT01 and the tint is really nice. It's been my bedside table "bump in the night" and "stealth bathroom run" staple for years that I used to EDC.
I can't rave enough about the magnetic variable brightness ring: it's so incredibly intuitive to use you will have a tough time using lights with a "press-click-hold" button UI afterwards. The RRT01 Secret Sauce: the best UI is NO UI!

Plus for $10 you can get optional threaded body extension rings for the RRT01 so you have the option to use 18500 and 18650 lithium cells for vastly better runtime. The light comes with a USB-C 18350 (1100mAh). I get my Jetbeam from Batteryjunction.com.

The M64 features the Luminus SBT90.2: the Mike Tyson of high output high intensity LEDs. Simply the best long throw wide spill design in a reasonably sized head. The dual batteries provide decent runtime and the light overall has a really balanced form factor. If you don't have an SBT90.2 light, the M64 is a must have. Heavy lumen artillery.

RRT01 for inside or EDC and M64 for outside. Perfect combo!

I hope this is helpful to you and you get a chance to try these lights. I think you'll be really happy.

I've owned two 2019 versions (no tail switch) and two current versions (with tail switch) of the RRT01. While I prefer the 2019 version for the simplest twist-for-on UI, I couldn't seem to get used to how the head just feels so much heavier than the body. It's worse with the extenders. I've disassembled and swapped the emitters, sanded and tuned the rings for that perfect no-slop, no-binding feel. If only Jetbeam would leave more material around the slim part of the body, it would be much more balanced and visually appealing IMO. It would be even more robust too.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I can't rave enough about the magnetic variable brightness ring:

Plus for $10 you can get optional threaded body extension rings for the RRT01 so you have the option to use 18500 and 18650 lithium cells for vastly better runtime.

The M64 features the Luminus SBT90.2: the Mike Tyson of high output high intensity LEDs.

What do you mean about "magnetic" ring?

Do you know if the extra body extensions are available separately if I decide to get one or two later on? I'll most likely keep it in its smallest form, but you never know.

I do have that SBT-90 Gen 2 LED in my Acebeam K75. It's a beast, but that light is not practical to carry around, or to hang on your belt. I do wish that the M64 came with a holster, but I'm sure I could find an off brand that would hold it.

Thanks again.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
sanded and tuned the rings for that perfect no-slop, no-binding feel
Do you mean the variable adjustment rings?
I did read in a review that someone felt that it turned a little to easily ... like if you wanted to leave it in one place, it would easily get turned inadvertently when you put it in and out of your pocket. But, I guess you can't have everything.

What do you mean about "magnetic" ring?

The ring has a small magnet embedded and that's what tells the driver the position of the ring and therefore the brightness. I believe the driver has a Hall sensor. If one holds a strong magnet near the light, it could actually interfere with the brightness setting.

Do you know if the extra body extensions are available separately if I decide to get one or two later on? I'll most likely keep it in its smallest form, but you never know.

Battery Junction carries the part.

Do you mean the variable adjustment rings?
I did read in a review that someone felt that it turned a little to easily ... like if you wanted to leave it in one place, it would easily get turned inadvertently when you put it in and out of your pocket. But, I guess you can't have everything.

Because of manufacturing tolerances, there is a bit of extra space for the ring to rotate. Because of this, the ring can slop forward or back, like bit of a wobble and it can contribute to the ring being too easily turned. The ring can be stiffened by two methods.

The first is replacing the lubricant with a higher viscosity one. @jon_slider is the resident expert on this part. Higher viscosity lubricant will mean more turning force will be needed.

The second is removing the extra gap. Removing a tiny bit of material will allow the pieces of the head to tighten down further and therefore narrow the gap for the ring. This one is tricky because sanding too much of the internal brass shelf/tube will result in an overly narrow channel for the ring, and binding the ring to a halt, making it inoperable. It takes patience, high-grit wet sanding, and repeated dry fittings to get it just right.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I just ordered both lights, so thanks for talking me into it, folks. I was pretty much planning on the M64 anyway, as long as I didn't hear bad things about it.

@scalpel_ninja That does seem interesting about sanding the RRT01 tube to tighten the ring. I'll try the grease first, and see how I'm liking it.

Battery junction has the M64 on a Black Friday sale. There were 3 left yesterday, 2 today, and now 1 left. Someone better grab it.

The other thing I like about both of these lights is no USB ports. Yipeee. Ports on the cells, which is ok, although I use a charger, but I dislike ports on lights, unless there under a threaded metal cover with o-rings.

I'll let ya'll know how I like them after they arrive.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other thing I like about both of these lights is no USB ports. Yipeee. Ports on the cells, which is ok, although I use a charger, but I dislike ports on lights, unless there under a threaded metal cover with o-rings.

I can't stand USB ports on lights period... makes me think the light is having an identity crisis trying also to be a power bank 🤣

The Jetbeam M1 Guardian is a nice little light if you like multi spectrum output 😁

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How do you like the M64?
It's quality, and better-priced than most of its competitors that do the same job, or were created for the same purpose. Only the Lumintop version is ever so slightly better. Wish the M64 had a better grip. It's not exactly slippery. But checkering instead of deep grooves would have been a better choice. Overall, I do recommend it. But take a close look at the very similar offering from Lumintop before getting the Jetbeam.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I really loved the Jetbeam Jet III-M model (removed the horrid clip) it was my primary duty light till I later purchased the Klarus XT11 3 years later (significant improvement in LED tech had occurred), however I am fairly certain they only came out around 2008, not sure exactly when the later varIant's were released though.

SelfBuilt's 2008 review can be seen @ Here

View attachment 52584
Yeah.... It was going to be my (back then) ultimate carry light. Everything I wanted, good price, very bright LED at a time when inca. bulbs still reigned supreme for output.... It's as though no one at Jetbeam bothered to actually hold the light in their hands, with that horrid clip in place! Just slapped it on there and shipped it off!

I didn't buy Jetbeam products for the longest time due to that very negative experience. Unfortunately for me, being clip-carried was a MUST. My black SureFire C2 w/ P61 inca. lamp spent a lot more time in my pocket due to that. Later to be replaced with a SureFire L4.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks Mono, but I already ordered the M64. What was it that you liked better about the Lumintop? The grip that you mentioned, or something else? Do you recall what model that was?
Lumintop PK21.
8100 rated Lumens.
About $10 less expensive than the M64.
Aggressive knurling.
Throws about 15 feet further than the M64.
Four ceramic balls on the tailcap for breaking car windows.

Though since you got yours' through a Black Friday sale, no worries.
Rated lumens doesn't mean much on a hand-held search-light.
And, both are still impressive as far as throw is concerned.