Can I charge olight batteries on a charger?

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The olight batteries appear to have a positive and negative on the negative side of the battery. Can I charge the batteries outside of the flashlights using a charger or am I limited to charging using the USB charging on the flashlight?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The olight batteries appear to have a positive and negative on the negative side of the battery. Can I charge the batteries outside of the flashlights using a charger or am I limited to charging using the USB charging on the flashlight?

On those dwanky ones, you need to charge them within the specific light that they're designed for, or else, be an EE from MIT and fashion your own doohickey.

Life's too short for proprietary batteries, IMO.

Chris

Berneck1

Enlightened
Sounds odd. What battery are you referring to? I personally avoid any battery that cannot be charged in a quality universal charger.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I actually just looked it up. Sounds like a decent technology. However, you definitely should NOT charge them outside of the light. Basically, it appears that you're stuck with one place to get batteries. This is not different than a light with a built-in battery..

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually just looked it up. Sounds like a decent technology. However, you definitely should NOT charge them outside of the light. Basically, it appears that you're stuck with one place to get batteries. This is not different than a light with a built-in battery..

Well, it is different because the battery isn't built in and it can be removed, so it's a double whammy.

I love Olight, but I'm scratching my head on that one.

Chris

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it is different because the battery isn't built in and it can be removed, so it's a double whammy.

I love Olight, but I'm scratching my head on that one.

I think it was a way for them to do magnetic charging. Definitely not worth it, IMO, but Joe Sixpack probably doesn't mind proprietary batter tech. We all have to suffer it for smartphones and tablets, as well as almost every other lithium-ion device.

I think it's just a way to design built-in obsolescence. They can sell you the same crap in 2 or 3 years when the battery starts to die. For some reason, people think it's acceptable to throw out a $1000 phone when the battery gets old.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer. Looks like I'll need to go with standard batteries and forget the charger

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's just a way to design built-in obsolescence. They can sell you the same crap in 2 or 3 years when the battery starts to die. For some reason, people think it's acceptable to throw out a $1000 phone when the battery gets old.

Can you give those people my address. I'll take the phones off their hands