Can you recommend a light? Working on cars.

t76turbo

Newly Enlightened
I have a number of lights that technically work. Zebralight SC600, SC600 II, some other Zebralight models like the headlamp that runs on single 18650 (don't recall model now), and others. But I thought there may be a better fit. I already have a couple headlamps so I am good there. Looking for a handheld light now.

Something that is smaller diameter. Maybe in the AA/14500 range. I think it needs a very broad beam pattern. A little distance would be good to make it a multi use light but this would mainly be a light I can pinch between my fingers and wrench with the other hand, or even just holding it while under a vehicle looking up into the engine and suspension areas.

What got me thinking about this is the promo email I just got about the fenix E25UE (ultimate edition). That light uses 2 AA and is you use 14500s can hit 1000lm. But in the pics it looks like it has a pretty good hot spot. A nice even, broad beam would be better to uniformly light an entire area I am working on. I could wait to see how this Fenix e25ue looks on some reviews I suppose.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original e25 used either an x-re or x-pe which would have made an even tighter hotspot. The UE uses an XP-L so I'm thinking it will have a broader beam with the same sized head.

If you want a really broad beam, you'll want to look for a mule (no reflector) or something with a flood optic. Alternatively, you could put Fenix's diffuser tip on the e25ue and you would basically have your self a Lantern when you want it (light in every direction) and you could resume normal flashlight operation when you take the diffuser off.

I'm personally a fan of the last option. That way you get the light you want and make it work for you in a specific situation rather than buying light for a niche purpose that doesn't work well for normal use.

That diffuser til is pretty affordable and can probably be had from most places that sell Fenix lights since it fits several popular models.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA/14500? Nitecore SRT3 takes both. Fenix LD11 is another low cost 14500 light its only 300 lumens though then there is the Fenix E25UE which is about the size of a mini Mag. Its 2xAA/14500 for 1000 lumens. Smaller diameter than the SC600 for sure not to sure about how broad a beam they have though

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider also the Zebralight mules. A mule is a flashlight that does not have a reflector or optic. The result is an unfocused beam that spreads evenly in all directions. Mules are wonderful for closeup work, such as working on an automobile.

The following video made by CPF member Stefano compares a mule with a standard flashlight. The models he uses are headlamps, but the headlights made by Zebralight can also be used as handheld flashlights. The 1x18650 mule in the video is the Zebralight H602w. The similar 1xAA / 1x14500 model is the Zebralight H502w.

Even if you decide not to go for a headlamp, the video is useful because it demonstrates the wide, smooth beam of a mule. It's all one giant hot spot.

Closer to what you asked about is the Zebralight SC5Fd. It's a 1xAA handheld flashlight that uses a reflector and frosted lens. You get a hot spot, but the frosted lens diffuses the light, so that the spill is much brighter than it would be otherwise. From what I have read, it's very nice. I do not own the SC5Fd.

The Zebralight H600Fd III is a new 1x18650 headlamp that uses a similar reflector and frosted lens.

Zebralight recently announced the Zebralight SC600w Mk. III. It is a handheld flashlight that is expected to be throwier that the current Mk. II model. It will probably ship before the end of the year.

Last edited:

t76turbo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info everyone.

@celticcross. The e25ue is the one that got me thinking about this. The pictures in the promo material on their site shows a good hot spot.

As geobruin said above, that diffuser may be a good option to expand the light to make it a true dual purpose light.

@keepingitlight. Man, I didn't realize the mule style lights had that much flood. I just hadn't ever looked at them. That video makes it very clear! I am going to check out that sc5fd also. I am already familiar with the zebralight controls so it would make it an easy transition.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is the kind of light you're going to put in your mouth from time to time (and let's face it, you will) the single cell Zebralight might be easier to hold. You can also get it in a neutral tint which is nice.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
now that I look at it more the E25UE is pretty appealing it really is the size of a mini Mag. Im sure many diffusers will fit it.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Two lights I have no first hand experience with: one that keeps attracting my interest is the Olight S1 Baton (CR123A). The magnet is what made me think about it after reading texas cop's suggestion, and there's a great review here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?408229-Olight-S1-Baton-Review

The second one is the already-discussed E25UE. I plan to spend most of next week waiting by the mailbox for my pre-order. BTW, Fenix Store lists the AOD-S diffuser as a fit for the E25UE, and they have some of the old model left (search E25, I couldn't find it otherwise).

cerbie

Enlightened
While way off from your stated wants, I've come to use mostly a Black Diamond Moji. It can just be set somewhere, rather than held in the other hand. It's too big to lose, or get in the way of anything.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless of what you get, go neutral tint. This tends to rule out certain brands (like Fenix and Foursevens). But good color rendition is VERY important for automotive work. Sometimes, you need to get a good idea of color in order to assess the condition of various parts (ie reading spark plugs). And the variations among shades of wiring insulation can be quite subtle at times, necessitating something better than your typical low CRI cool white. Plus, warmer tints are just easier on the eye.

jtice

Flashaholic
For me the main thing for working on a vehicle is a headlamp, my choice is the Zebralight H600FW
I agree on getting a neutral tint, I like them for everything, but it helps when making out wire colors also when working on a vehicle.

Finding a decent handheld can be tough, my EDC light, a Zebralight SC62W works great, but I would like something with more runtime for hours out in the garage.
I have an O-Light SR-Mini on the way, will see how that does :p

ginaz

Enlightened
when i've been under the hood i've found broad flood to sometimes work against me, as all the bounce back blinded me to things a little deeper in. i've really enjoyed this light:

http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/led-swivel-light

has taken many beatings with no problem. uses aa's. flex head is very handy. not quite a mouth holder but with the swivel i can usually get it to lay where it puts the light where i want it. the plastic and rubber have handled oil and grease quite well also.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ET TX25C2 in NW is out friggin standing. One of the best NW tints I have and if you get the kit version you can make it longer with the included extenders I run mine 2x18650. Set up standard 1x18650 it is just over 4 and a half inches long with a mere 28mm wide reflector. Selfbuilt tested the NW TX25C2 out to 970 OTF lumens should check out the review on his page.

Gilgamesh

Newly Enlightened
From my experiences the 14500 isn't a big enough battery. Usually it'll fail when someone asks to borrow it. Esp with a HML. Also learned that alum bodies were too soft to withstand the shock of a cement floor, which results in a cracked lens. After I went titanium I've never had that problem again. One without all the blinky modes is nice.

Last edited:

Willie

Newly Enlightened
I have a number of lights that technically work. Zebralight SC600, SC600 II, some other Zebralight models like the headlamp that runs on single 18650 (don't recall model now), and others. But I thought there may be a better fit. I already have a couple headlamps so I am good there. Looking for a handheld light now.

Something that is smaller diameter. Maybe in the AA/14500 range. I think it needs a very broad beam pattern. A little distance would be good to make it a multi use light but this would mainly be a light I can pinch between my fingers and wrench with the other hand, or even just holding it while under a vehicle looking up into the engine and suspension areas.

For working on a car what could possibly be a better fit than a headlamp? I have Zebralight H602w and it is the best tool I bought for the car. I can't imagine why you would want to tie up one hand and wrench with the other.

If you want to poke light up at suspension, then yes, e25 should work fine, but you already have more than capable flashlights with the SC600 and SC600II.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
FourSevens Atoms (AAA)
image.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Might sound silly, but clip on bendy book readers work for me.

I found a 19 lumen one at a Walgreens in the light bulb section that gets it done.

When the headlamp casts shadows waaaaaay down deep in my engine bay where I gotta do stuff with my wrists and elbows (God didn't intend) to get the socket on...
that and my drug store dime size dental mirror with drinking straw extension does the trick.

If you have ever tried replacing certain cooling hoses on Hondas or Suburus those things are priceless....and cheap to replace.

And those little $3 clip lights at Sears clip to your hat (or glasses) acting like a headlamp that can be easily clipped to wires etc as needed. Lights with magnets are also handy. The little $5 multi led ovals put out a bunch of light and the magnet is pretty strong.

But my favorite for diagnosing or finding hidden stuff is my Belle &Howell sticklight that telescopes into an 18" bendy with a magnet strong enough to tail stand it sideways.

^^ and this little $3 promotional from HandA accessories is handy. It also has a red laser.

Last edited: