Cell phone's camera flash LED as a light anyone?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've been on the hunt for a retail space to open a new business for about six months now. I've seen a ton of spaces with a lot of real estate agents and not a one of them had a light and almost all of them used their phones.

Drove me nuts.

I think a phone light is fine in a pinch but so much easier to keep a small light in your pocket or around your neck or on your keys.
Allow me to lay out a broad concept. I don't claim that it's universal by any means, but seems to fit what I've observed.

In my experience, Americans live in society increasingly separated from the concept of labor. We have devalued the concept to the point that anyone who performs work (and I don't mean driving a keyboard and mouse) with their hands to make a living is not seen as being respectable by influential quadrants of society. Sure, people employed in trades can make a very good living and some laborers are revered as artisans and craftsmen - but those are exceptions in terms of gross numbers and broad public perception. We don't necessarily want our kids to grow up to be construction workers, miners, farm hands; are still a little wary of them becoming electricians, maintenance technicians, mechanics; programmers, accountants, managers are more idealized careers.

So where am I going with this? A flashlight is perceived to be a tool. Laborers use tools. As such, there will be some distaste for flashlights similar to how carrying a pocketknife, multitool, tool belt, etc will be seen with some degree of derision by some. A smartphone on the other hand is pretty universally acceptable and cool in most upper economic and social tiers, so if it can double as a flashlight without the trappings of utility, labor, and dirty work all the better.

So in a social context it's a little more understandable why realtors would prefer the smartphone to the flashlight. Its utility for the purpose of illumination might not be as good, but it fits in with what they want to say about themselves to their audience, which might help them make that sale.

Now some other mentions in these threads of plumbers, HVAC contractors, etc trying to use their smartphones as flashlights is much more baffling - they need performance for their job and a status play likely doesn't impress as much as quality workmanship.

Last edited:

xzel87

Enlightened
Allow me to lay out a broad concept. I don't claim that it's universal by any means, but seems to fit what I've observed.

In my experience, Americans live in society increasingly separated from the concept of labor. We have devalued the concept to the point that anyone who performs work (and I don't mean driving a keyboard and mouse) with their hands to make a living is not seen as being respectable by influential quadrants of society. Sure, people employed in trades can a very good living and some laborers are revered as artisans and craftsmen - but those are exceptions in terms of gross numbers and broad public perception.

So where am I going with this? A flashlight is perceived to be a tool. Laborers use tools. As such, there will be some distaste for flashlights similar to how carrying a pocketknife, multitool, tool belt, etc will be seen with some degree of derision by some. A smartphone on the other hand is pretty universally acceptable and cool in most upper economic and social tiers, so if it can double as a flashlight without the trappings of utility, labor, and dirty work all the better.

So in a social context it's a little more understandable why realtors would prefer the smartphone to the flashlight. Its utility for the purpose of illumination might not be as good, but it fits in with what they want to say about themselves to their audience, which might help them make that sale.

Now some other mentions in these threads of plumbers, HVAC contractors, etc trying to use their smartphones as flashlights is much more baffling - they need performance for their job and a status play likely doesn't impress as much as quality workmanship.

Thanks for the input, I never thought about this issue from that perspective before. In fact, based on my own observations, I can say that this trend is also happening in my part of the world, and mind you, we aren't exactly even considered a developed nation yet.

People that aren't familiar with my hobby give me a funny look when I pull out my flashlight to actually use it only when needed. I rarely take it out and fiddle with it at work or in public due to the funny glances I feel I'm getting sometimes.

However, having said all that, I have never used my phone light app after getting into this hobby,even when taking a photo. Reflected light off a business card really does wonders to a selfie/wefie shot.

For other people performing the trades, we recently had some cabling done at the office, at least the technicians on site that day had those energizer pen lights that they uses for illumination AND poking/probing into vents and holes looking for hollow wall to drill through.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

In my experience, Americans live in society increasingly separated from the concept of labor. We have devalued the concept to the point that anyone who performs work (and I don't mean driving a keyboard and mouse) with their hands to make a living is not seen as being respectable by influential quadrants of society. Sure, people employed in trades can a very good living and some laborers are revered as artisans and craftsmen - but those are exceptions in terms of gross numbers and broad public perception.

Great observation.

Being a blue collar type surrounded by white collar types it's pretty obvious to me what you're saying but I had never really added the '2+2' to get the '4' you speak of.
Wow!

"I see" ....said the blind man after turning on a flashlight...
All this time I thought they thought I was just some weirdo for carrying 3-5 flashlights with me.

So the white elephant in the room is not the weirdo with 3-5 flashlights, but the snobby folks who wouldn't dare be seen carrying some tool like those people.

Heavy

Newly Enlightened

Keen observation.

I think you are 100% correct on this point.

Tool are for workers.

Well call me a worker because I keep tools close by and ready to go. My knife is sharp and my light is charged. :thumbsup:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
All this time I thought they thought I was just some weirdo for carrying 3-5 flashlights with me.
I would feel weird carrying 3-5 flashlights on my person, but I live in the city, work a desk job in an office, generally find myself in reasonably well-lit places, and seem to have sufficient night vision for most tasks in semi-darkness. As such, keyring EDC's have proven more than sufficient for typical unplanned lighting needs. I've got a couple more flashlights in the bag I carry to work and the makerspace I frequent, but those are unobtrusive and out of sight.

Although I wonder about people similarly situated that carry 3-5 lights conspicuously on their person - or perhaps other tools that they seem not to need or use often. I wonder what utility they get out of it. It's possible that I don't know about some of the things they do I've not observed - or don't observe because they occur outside of work hours - but based on their personalities it seems like am unusual exception. It's their business of course, but if I silently wonder about it then others will audibly wonder about it.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Here's a different perspective on carrying light. For the most part, the power infrastructure in the USA is highly reliable. Most folks do not experience darkness without power for extended periods. A cell phone light gets them by just fine. Only the few of us who have lived long enough to experience the darkness caused by a major natural disaster (and those who listen to us) carry a real flashlight. When major darkness happens, I don't want to waste my phones communications capability by using it as a flashlight. Who knows when I'll be able to charge it again.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the cheapo LG flip phones with no flash and I use my phone as just a phone. It's a $5 phone with $10/month service lol. I haven't seen the need to pay for one of them fancy phones yet with a flash so I carry flashlights with me for light. I have a real small keychain light that's always with me and then I also always carry a Zebralight, either my H600w or H602w.

At work I need both a flooder and thrower so I carry my Zebralight H602w and then carry my Armytek Predator Pro 3 Hi Intensity. I work nights and these two lights cover all my bases for work. I get oohs and aahhs when I use my lights at work b/c it seems most people aren't used to having a decent light with them. The flashlights supplied to us at work are more ancient than my cell phone and appear to put out maybe 10 lumens. They are yellow plastic flashlights with a sliding switch on the side with an actual bulb and take 2 D batteries.

Illum

Flashaholic
They are yellow plastic flashlights with a sliding switch on the side with an actual bulb and take 2 D batteries.

yep.... I know those well. though back before LEDs the ones in my drawer was converted to run mag 6D Xenon bulbs and used early Mdocod's 6AA to 2D adapters. Coworkers always wondered by my flashlight was lighter but brighter. Ended up becoming a "go-to" light and eventually disappeared altogether.

MX421

Enlightened
The weirdest thing happened to me today. I had a knock on the door from someone wanting to inspect the wooden powerpole in my yard. Said it wouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Sure i said and they went in the back gate where i instructed them to come in. The Team lead came in the gate illuminating his way with a iPad. I thought that seemed weird, but after i got everything ready for bringing the kid into daycare and then off to work, i grabbed my TK75 and went out to check on their progress. I then witnessed the team lead lighting the pole with a combination of his iPad and the flash on his cell. I shined my TK75 on the pole obviously dwarfed both of those and just said "looks like you guys need a flashlight". He said that he had a maglight and the batteries were dead so he didn't have it with him. I started to talk flashlights, but he didn't seem interested and then stated they were about done. I had to get back to the kid to ensure she was getting ready and couldn't continue convincing. Anyway, i thought it was strange that they most likely work in the dark quite a bit and between the five of them no one had a light and were working so awkwardly with the cell and iPad lighting their work area.

Figure us CPF folks on here would get a kick out of this story...

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The weirdest thing happened to me today. I had a knock on the door from someone wanting to inspect the wooden powerpole in my yard. Said it wouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Sure i said and they went in the back gate where i instructed them to come in. The Team lead came in the gate illuminating his way with a iPad. I thought that seemed weird, but after i got everything ready for bringing the kid into daycare and then off to work, i grabbed my TK75 and went out to check on their progress. I then witnessed the team lead lighting the pole with a combination of his iPad and the flash on his cell. I shined my TK75 on the pole obviously dwarfed both of those and just said "looks like you guys need a flashlight". He said that he had a maglight and the batteries were dead so he didn't have it with him. I started to talk flashlights, but he didn't seem interested and then stated they were about done. I had to get back to the kid to ensure she was getting ready and couldn't continue convincing. Anyway, i thought it was strange that they most likely work in the dark quite a bit and between the five of them no one had a light and were working so awkwardly with the cell and iPad lighting their work area.

Figure us CPF folks on here would get a kick out of this story...

I used to live in an apartment complex. The maintenance crew would patrol the complex servicing air conditioner units and plumbing problems using their cell phone lights. Once, when our A/C was out, I illuminated the task for the maintenance crew with about 600 lumens from an LED flashlight. Those guys were amazed, but quickly reverted to their iPhones when the transaction was complete.

Muggles.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the bump.

I would feel weird carrying 3-5 flashlights on my person, but I live in the city, work a desk job in an office, generally find myself in reasonably well-lit places, and seem to have sufficient night vision for most tasks in semi-darkness. As such, keyring EDC's have proven more than sufficient for typical unplanned lighting needs. I've got a couple more flashlights in the bag I carry to work and the makerspace I frequent, but those are unobtrusive and out of sight.

Although I wonder about people similarly situated that carry 3-5 lights conspicuously on their person - or perhaps other tools that they seem not to need or use often. I wonder what utility they get out of it. It's possible that I don't know about some of the things they do I've not observed - or don't observe because they occur outside of work hours - but based on their personalities it seems like am unusual exception. It's their business of course, but if I silently wonder about it then others will audibly wonder about it.

Basically my job involves peering into dark places at times. Some spaces are vast like inside an 8 foot wide manhole that houses fiber optic connections and circuitry. Some are narrow pipes a hundred feet or so long like a storm sewer pipe. Sometimes my flashlight has to compete with sunlight such as peering into the dark caverns of an engine bay in a parking lot. Various beams to me are like a mechanic having the right size screwdriver for a given task.
With todays LED tech it's easy to carry a 1x aaa, a 2x aa and a 1x123 on your person without others noticing. Then in chilly weather even more are easily carried.
I used to only carry a 1x aa zoomie but I'm a CPF card carrying flashaholic for Pete's sake so "one is none". :naughty:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my experience, Americans live in society increasingly separated from the concept of labor. We have devalued the concept to the point that anyone who performs work (and I don't mean driving a keyboard and mouse) with their hands to make a living is not seen as being respectable by influential quadrants of society. Sure, people employed in trades can make a very good living and some laborers are revered as artisans and craftsmen - but those are exceptions in terms of gross numbers and broad public perception. We don't necessarily want our kids to grow up to be construction workers, miners, farm hands; are still a little wary of them becoming electricians, maintenance technicians, mechanics; programmers, accountants, managers are more idealized careers.

Perhaps true. Fascinating. With regard to upper echelon snobbery, folks from my neighborhood say:

funkdat.jpg

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, on more than one.... (err, 10's) of occasions, I've ran across "professionals" that honestly required proper lights, and more often than not, they see the effects and welcome "new" tech lights onto their work, but as always, you'll get those people that'd rather work hard with the wrong tools than work right with the proper tools.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Basically my job involves peering into dark places at times. Some spaces are vast like inside an 8 foot wide manhole that houses fiber optic connections and circuitry. Some are narrow pipes a hundred feet or so long like a storm sewer pipe. Sometimes my flashlight has to compete with sunlight such as peering into the dark caverns of an engine bay in a parking lot. Various beams to me are like a mechanic having the right size screwdriver for a given task.
With todays LED tech it's easy to carry a 1x aaa, a 2x aa and a 1x123 on your person without others noticing. Then in chilly weather even more are easily carried.
I used to only carry a 1x aa zoomie but I'm a CPF card carrying flashaholic for Pete's sake so "one is none". :naughty:

If it's vocational or even truly about ones situation, I get it. If you're a field service tech, mechanic, law enforcement, work in a steel mill, EMT, whatnot you'll need such tools often enough that carrying them is the opposite of an imposition. Or perhaps you find yourself walking on dark trails at night, live in the country, etc.

It's the gear fetishists who live similarly to me insisting that without the likes of 3 flashlights, 4 knives, 2 guns with 2+ magazines each, a first aid kit, emergency rations, and multiple forms of radio comms that they're apt not to survive the day that confuse me. It's one thing to own being an enthusiast like someone commuting to work everyday in a >500HP just-shy-of-a-racecar vehicle because sometimes there's a clear onramp and it's fun to stomp on the accelerator or execute a pass, but another to claim that it represents a genuine need and without it you're going to get run over on the highway.

I follow an EDC group on Facebook and the practically framed for Instagram photos of "today's carry" with multiple color-themed sets are a bit over the top. I know a few of those folks personally and they live remarkably predictable lives as office workers in the city. If it brings them pleasure, fine, but pretending that their perfectly-arranged hank/flashlight/knife/knucks/bottle opener/phone case/watch/lighter/morale patch/etc is much more than a fashion statement strains suspension of disbelief. The more interesting "pocket dump" photos seem to come from people that are more working-class (and often as not overseas) with smaller collections of well-used and well-considered tools representing function over form.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always complement my friends on their 500 dollar flashlights.

HAHA!
- What kind of heat sinking does 500$ get you?
Well I've heard that my S7 actually has heat pipes, and truly the led has a really nice neutral tint, but using this marvel of technology as a flashlight and exposing it to the hazards that go along with that is pretty much my last ditch option.

Great observation idleprocess, and well said.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's vocational or even truly about ones situation, I get it. If you're a field service tech, mechanic, law enforcement, work in a steel mill, EMT, whatnot you'll need such tools often enough that carrying them is the opposite of an imposition. Or perhaps you find yourself walking on dark trails at night, live in the country, etc.

It's the gear fetishists who live similarly to me insisting that without the likes of 3 flashlights, 4 knives, 2 guns with 2+ magazines each, a first aid kit, emergency rations, and multiple forms of radio comms that they're apt not to survive the day that confuse me. It's one thing to own being an enthusiast like someone commuting to work everyday in a >500HP just-shy-of-a-racecar vehicle because sometimes there's a clear onramp and it's fun to stomp on the accelerator or execute a pass, but another to claim that it represents a genuine need and without it you're going to get run over on the highway.

I follow an EDC group on Facebook and the practically framed for Instagram photos of "today's carry" with multiple color-themed sets are a bit over the top. I know a few of those folks personally and they live remarkably predictable lives as office workers in the city. If it brings them pleasure, fine, but pretending that their perfectly-arranged hank/flashlight/knife/knucks/bottle opener/phone case/watch/lighter/morale patch/etc is much more than a fashion statement strains suspension of disbelief. The more interesting "pocket dump" photos seem to come from people that are more working-class (and often as not overseas) with smaller collections of well-used and well-considered tools representing function over form.

Well stated and fun to read. I'm an admitted flashlight hobbyist. I'm facing no existential threats at the moment and I'm enjoying a well lit, climate controlled environment. Nonetheless, I'm having so much fun with a drawer full of flashlights!:party:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Exactly

As I sit on a sofa watching a video there are 1... 2... 3... 5 flashlights within arms reach.... not including a box nearby with 8 or so.

I have screw drivers, wrenches, scissors, a vice, and a bunch of other tools in the room I'm sitting in too. I have 2 disc players stacked in case 1 fails. I have a spare microwave and television in my spare room.

At work I carry a knife in each pocket, cash in one pocket, coins in the other. Nail clippers and flashdrives tag along too along with ear plugs and chap stick. You'd be surprised at the things they can be used for besides their intended roles.

And sometimes I use my cel phone for a flashlight.

MaGiever never got caught short handed. We could all learn a lot from MaGiever who was even more prepared than Batmans utility belt.

phosphor

Enlightened
I have a flashlight app on my phone. I've never used it once. I forget it's there.

Playing around with it after the initial download, I noticed it drained the phone battery quickly. I'd rather use my EDC light for illumination and save my phone for communication if I'm in a "jam".