• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

CLOSED. Muyshondt Aeon Mk III and Maus MkI passaround! CLOSED

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Muyshondt Aeon Mk III and Maus MkI passaround!

So my week is up and I've really enjoyed having these lights. The Aeon is definitely my favorite of the two because I'm not much for keychain twisties, but honestly the Maus may be the best keychain twisty I've seen. Its tiny, its got two great modes, and its probably got the smoothest threads of any light I've ever seen. Really, they're like silken butter. That little thing is beautiful and a joy to use. And the tail design with the "hideaway" split-ring is really clever.

But the Aeon is more my speed. Like others I wish the lower two modes were better spaced. I didn't notice any pwm like others have stated, but then I'm not generally very sensitive to that anyway. The little tailswitch assembly is just right though, good tactile feedback, perfect placement, easy to find and use. And it still tailstands. Clip has great retention and is easy to retrieve at the same time. It basically disappears clipped to your pocket and is ideal for "watch pocket" carry. This is a great small edc light and I've enjoyed having it very much. That copper one sure does look nice...

If I had one big gripe with these lights, it would be the reliance on primary cells. I just don't like having to throw away batteries. I understand the appeal of them in these lights, for size reasons, but I wish there was a good rechargeable option for these lights.

Thanks all for the chance to check out these lights. I'll be sending them on to their next destination this afternoon. Here's a quick size comparison pic, just in case folks still don't realize just how tiny these lights are. You'll notice that they're much smaller than most of these lights. In fact every light I own that's smaller relies on an optic to achieve it. Muyshondt has done it with a real reflector, which is really great.

hKG0QEc.jpg

EDIT:. And they're off! Enjoy them, wherever they go.

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

emarkd: Thanks for having posted your thoughts.

People have been asking for rechargeable cells for years, and for a large variety of reasons I haven't made a light to accommodate them (until the Flieger, but that's a much larger, multi-cell light). The principal reason is simple, though: The lights are designed to drain lithium primaries, which would discharge a rechargeable cell below its safe discharge threshold. A rechargeable cell with an intelligent protection circuit might mitigate damage to the cell in its own right, but I don't think there are CR2 cells that have protection circuits (I could be wrong on this point as it's been a while since I checked. Protection circuits also tend to add length to cells.)

To accommodate a lithium ion cell I would also have to use a different kind of light engine design, which cuts off at a lower voltage, and is generally less efficient than the ones I have designed for the Aeon series of lights, not to mention that RCR2s have vastly less capacity than a lithium primary of the same type (conversely, an 18650 lithium ion cell has substantially more energy contained in it than two stacked CR123s, which makes it a much more attractive solution all around).

I understand why people like using rechargeable cells. I drive an EV. I'm an Electrical Engineer. I get it. But my lights are specifically optimized to provide long runtime off of a common power plant that suits the majority of people purchasing them. If I can come up with a better solution that works well across different power plants in the future, I'll certainly explore it, but for now, the Aeon remains a light designed to function on Lithium Primary cells.

(Note that LiFePO4 rechargeables that charge to 3V work fine in the Aeon series, though all varieties of Aeon will discharge them further than the safe discharge threshold. If you're set on rechargeables, the Flieger that recently completed production may be more up your alley and runs on a multi-power-plant arrangement.)

I hope you enjoyed using the Aeon and Maus and perhaps one of them will enter into your service in the future. :)

Enrique

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love the Maus! It's definitely one of the best keychain lights. It's quite Briton high, and the simple low-high is great for a twisty keychain light. I like the Aeon, but I felt the low and medium modes were too close, and the high was a big jump from medium. Other than that this would be a great light. Here are a few more pictures comparing their size.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also would prefer a rechargeable battery for daily carry, but that's more of an issue with the industry/demand. I like having lights that use every type of battery available. Much like I would love to have a gun for each caliber available.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

The0dore, I can't send you a PM. Your box is full. Please PM me with your mailing info, thank you.

scout24

Flashaholic

Nice pics, Earl! The colors pop, love the blue Maus...

Nicrod

Flashaholic

hi Scout,

Im way late to the party, is it too late to get in on this passaround? Ive never participated in one yet.

Nick

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice pics, Earl! The colors pop, love the blue Maus...
Thank you! I normally take terrible pictures so I was really happy how these came out.

I just checked and they still haven't made their way to The0dore! They are out for delivery though. It's been 6 days, 5 if we don't count Sunday. I thought Priority was guaranteed 3 days?

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Muyshondt Aeon Mk III and Maus MkI passaround!

Thank you! I normally take terrible pictures so I was really happy how these came out.

I just checked and they still haven't made their way to The0dore! They are out for delivery though. It's been 6 days, 5 if we don't count Sunday. I thought Priority was guaranteed 3 days?

Ikr! It said expected delivery date was Monday. Now it's Wednesday. Same thing with another package I have on the way; it was supposed to arrive Monday. Very vexing, but hopefully they'll both show up today :(

Edit: hey apparently it just arrived. Now for my other package...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

Nicrod- You're on the list! the0dore3524- wow, glad they made it... :wtf:

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast

Finally got home to open up the package. Here they are with some of my smaller lights - from right to left - the Maus MK1, Aeon MKIII, TnC Nano-Lux 10180, and an MBI HF.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GIMfU

So here are some initial impressions (even though I've only had them in my hands for about an hour!) compared to some of my other lights:

They are both very small; I didn't expect them to be so much so from the pictures I've seen. The Maus is about the size of the TnC. Definitely suitable for EDC in that regard.

Neither of them is super bright. I especially dislike the 1 to 60 lumens on the Maus. They are a far cry from the blazing 500 lumens that you get on the MBI HF. I also like the UI of the HF more; it is extremely intuitive and convenient. However, the level of quality found on the Aeon and Maus easily surpass that of the HF's. From the beam to the construction itself, it is clear that Enrique was quite meticulous in his work. Just by holding them in the hand, I can tell of the level of quality they exude; the HF simply cannot compare.

Neither of them uses a rechargeable battery. I know that Enrique has addressed this somewhere above, but I still find it somewhat inconvenient. Both the TnC and HF use rechargeable batteries and as a result have much higher outputs (350+ & 500 lumens, respectively). That said, it should be noted that you most often won't need that much output for day to day tasks.

Personally, I liked the build of the Maus MK1 more. It felt more substantial in my hands compared to the Aeon...there is a certain weight/feel to it that is hard to explain. I like the feel of it more than even the TnC, which is saying something. I think that it would definitely benefit from a mode between the 1 and 60. As for the Aeon, I REALLY like the clicky. A clicky on a light this small is not very common, but I absolutely love it.

So in conclusion: these lights are definitely not the brightest or most cutting edge out there, but if you want quality- these lights are the ones to purchase. They both held up to the TnC, which exudes quality all over. The Aeon definitely surpassed it in terms of UI with the clicky, although the light didn't feel as substantial (maybe because it was aluminum) to my hands. But if there's one other thing that I appreciate, it's Enrique's attention to aesthetics. The packaging and the designs on the cards were top-notch. You can tell he definitely put a lot into them. If you need a comparison, my TnC came wrapped in a drawstring baggie and the HF in a tube.

I will update with more impressions as the week progresses [emoji13]

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened

Just wanted to update the group here and let you know the lights arrived at my place today. I am out of town but the wife has them safe and sound. I will be back home tomorrow, looking forward to a bit of time with these, will report back soon.
As soon as I get home I will also post photos of the lights.

Nicrod

Flashaholic

Just wanted to update the group here and let you know the lights arrived at my place today. I am out of town but the wife has them safe and sound. I will be back home tomorrow, looking forward to a bit of time with these, will report back soon.
As soon as I get home I will also post photos of the lights.

Thanks for the heads up. Enjoy them!

Nick

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened

I just got home and haven't had any time to play with the Muyshondt lights. I did however want to post a couple of photos to show that they are here. I will post before my time is up with these guys to let you know what I think. Thanks for the opportunity to learn more about these lights.

scout24

Flashaholic

Nice pics! Glad to know they're safe and sound.

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Scout24 and thanks for the pass around. I'm not much of a photographer but these lights don't need much help I guess. Like many other folks I have some other lights scattered about as well and one light in for H17F driver upgrade. Basically getting the upgrade because I've discovered I love using Hybrid Memory and the H17F can do that.

Ok this thread is about the Muyshondt's beautiful lights in every way from craftsmanship to beams. I have a fairly unique vision problem I deal with day in and day out and I tend to evaluate lights by how well they work for me. I'll post some thoughts a bit later about this and how the lights are working for me.
I'll probably shoot for early next week to mail these beauties off [emoji22]

Mobileschoney

Newly Enlightened

I have only had these lights two nights now but some initial impressions. Oh and I mentioned I have a vision problem. I have Retinitis Pigmentosa or RP for short. Without a long explanation this causes severe night blindness as well as severe tunnel vision. What most folks consider dim lighting, its pitch black for me So I use lights all the time and I'm a daily or shall I say nightly user of lights in the house. Ok, I just used the Maus to find my beer on the table next to me :)

I'm going to start with my favorite of the two, the Maus. First off it just feels great in the hand for a small light. It's small but feels solid in the hand. It's threads are phenomenal which for me helps in using it one handed if I choose to do so. The beam is gorgeous and the modes are perfectly spaced. For the intended use of a keychain light this guy is perfect. I don't like crazy bright keychain lights as I always have other lights on me for that function. My current keychain light is a Four Sevens Atom A0 Ti. I do like the Atom but I could definitely see replacing it with the Maus.
Again though I use lights in the house a lot and this one is near perfect for me in that regard. It's not too bright on low for close up tasks. The low is not bright enough for me to navigate by though and when I switch to high it's perfect for me. The only hesitation for a house light for me is I tend to clip lights to my pocket and definitely if I have on pajama pants I like to clip the light so it doesn't drop out of my pocket in a chair. I could definitely see using the Maus as a neck light and I may very well do so. Anyone have a Maus for sale? [emoji6] Oh and the tail end with the split ring yet can tail stand, quite cool.

Ok the Aeon. So another phenomenal light. I love the styling and love the clip on this light! Again an amazing beam, possibly not quite floody enough for me, a great little thrower though. As others have pointed out the spacing could be a tad better but it's not a huge deal to me.
The Aeon is a bit smaller than I like for an EDC though I do think it would be a great light to EDC in an office type environment or if dressed up and out on the town. It's small and concealable but that beam on high sure has some wow factor to it.
House use works well for me as I can clip the light on. I LOVE the switch on it... except for night time use next to the bed. It would be a tad too noisy for me if the wife is sleeping. But again any other time I love the feel and sound of the switch, a perfect little reverse clicky.

Ok I guess I've rambled on enough for now. I may very well pick up a Maus. I would consider an Aeon as well but it would be a niche light for me and I would have to decide on whether I would use it enough to justify the cost. We are all different and have different use cases and I could see the Aeon being perfect for many folks.