COAST Focusing LED Lenser.. w/pics

reneir0492

Newly Enlightened
:eek: my sf e2l and the led lenser 7438,seems like the surefire e2l has less focus but very bright, the led lenser is more of a long distance.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought a light for almost a year and because of all the fantastic reviews in this thread, I am now a proud owner of one of these from my local Lowe's tonight. I'm going it mod it myself.

Thanks, guys for indirectly talking me into one of these. :grin2:

Are there any pics of the Seoul mod? I don't want to attempt this without some visual guidance. It seems as if all of the pics have disappeared except the first post's. :shrug:

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Some questions about the SSC P4 mod

I just measured the physical height of both a Lux III and a SSC P4. The Lux measures exactly 5.80mm and the SSC measures exactly 5.00mm.

1. How important is it to have the top of the dome of the SSC at the very same height as the Lux it is replacing as it relates to focus?

2. Is it the height of the die or the dome that will cause changes in focus after the mod?

3. For those who have done the mod, either with or without the copper disc, was there any change in focus? Particularly in regards to the narrowest beam setting.

I want to make sure that I still have the ability to focus down to the smallest focused spot for the longest throw.

Thanks!

Gannz

Newly Enlightened

I just measured the physical height of both a Lux III and a SSC P4. The Lux measures exactly 5.80mm and the SSC measures exactly 5.00mm.

1. How important is it to have the top of the dome of the SSC at the very same height as the Lux it is replacing as it relates to focus?

2. Is it the height of the die or the dome that will cause changes in focus after the mod?

3. For those who have done the mod, either with or without the copper disc, was there any change in focus? Particularly in regards to the narrowest beam setting.

I want to make sure that I still have the ability to focus down to the smallest focused spot for the longest throw.

Thanks!

I experimented and found that I get a much tighter hot spot and more throw with the SSC topped out at a hair under 13/32". The actual sweet spot seems to be at 27/64" b/c you get a very round beam at this height (but it is also more floody). At 13/32" the second layer of the beam is a little more on the square side (not unusual for optic lenses). But, thanks to the focusing head, you can just back it off a bit to get a more rounded beam!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

I experimented and found that I get a much tighter hot spot and more throw with the SSC topped out at a hair under 13/32". The actual sweet spot seems to be at 27/64" b/c you get a very round beam at this height (but it is also more floody). At 13/32" the second layer of the beam is a little more on the square side (not unusual for optic lenses). But, thanks to the focusing head, you can just back it off a bit to get a more rounded beam!

So did you use a copper disc to get the proper height?

13/32" = .40625" just a hair under this is best height for SSC in Hokus Focus = .406"

Height of Lux in this stock light is .4115"

.2283" = Lux LED height

.19685" = SSC LED height

.2283" - .19685" = .03145" = difference between heights of Lux and SSC LEDs

.4115" - .406" = .0055" = difference in height between stock Lux and desired height of SSC in the light

.03145" - .0055" = .02595" how much higher the SSC base needs raised for optimum focusability.

Soooo, this all being said, some AA and a copper disc .015 thick should do the trick to get the SSC to the proper height.

Last edited:

Gannz

Newly Enlightened

So did you use a copper disc to get the proper height?

13/32" = .40625" just a hair under this is best height for SSC in Hokus Focus = .406"

Height of Lux in this stock light is .4115"

.2283" = Lux LED height

.19685" = SSC LED height

.2283" - .19685" = .03145" = difference between heights of Lux and SSC LEDs

.4115" - .406" = .0055" = difference in height between stock Lux and desired height of SSC in the light

.03145" - .0055" = .02595" how much higher the SSC base needs raised for optimum focusability.

Soooo, this all being said, some AA and a copper disc .015 thick should do the trick to get the SSC to the proper height.

By the time you get some epoxy on both sides of the copper you'll only be able to fit in a piece of copper foil. I just used a dab of AA epoxy and squished it down to the desired height. It's only a bit thicker than what we'd normally use to secure a shim or emitter.

soffiler

Enlightened

When I modded mine, I didn't use any shim under the emitter, just a thick dab of Arctic Silver epoxy. This caused a major problem with the beam pattern. To compensate, I was forced to shim my optic by, I seem to recall, I ended up with .030" closer to the emitter. I have access to a lathe so making shims for the optic out of Delrin was no big deal. I believe the instructions originally posted by EngrPaul called for a .015" thick copper puck under the emitter.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies!

Well, I totally lucked out!!! I wound up putting a piece of copper in, forgetting that mine was actually .017" thick instead of .015". When I completed the mod last night, the finished height of the top of the SSC came out to be .412"- much higher than I had anticipated or hoped for. Turns out, the beam is perfect at the narrowest setting. I could not have gotten the LED placed at a more perfect height if I had planned it. To verify the narrowest setting is the narrowest, I loosened the bezel and started to back it off (with the light on) keeping pressure on the threads to keep the lens lined up with the LED. As soon as I start to unscrew the bezel it starts to widen back out the beam. I couldn't have been more lucky on this mod! Usually, I miss the luck boat when it sails by. :D

This thing kicks a$$ now- not that it was half bad before the mod!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your mod turning out so positively. I love to hear everyones descriptions of amazement about this light. Especially the modded ones. ;) I still marvel at it's output. Enjoy!

gouki64

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what happened to EngrPaul's pictures for this Seoul LED mod guide? It appears that photobucket has taken the pictures down, so can anyone please help by mirroring them or hosting them elsewhere? Thanks!

e2x2e

Enlightened
Got a form to fill out for a free keychain flashlight from Coast (and $3.00 s&h) with my new light. Sent mine in. Was just wondering if anyone else sent in for theirs and what kind of keychain light do you get?

Picked up one of these today. I'm impressed!

I did this too, I got a V9 Micro with a white beam.

pukkapaul

Newly Enlightened
I have Seouls on the way too....one is predestined to go into the Coast. Like you said, this is really a light worth having!

You mentioned the head unscrews easily. I tried to unscrew mine before (just by hand), but didn't want to mess up the focusing system. So I just need to try harder and it'll unscrew? I have strap wrenches, if needed.
hello eng paul do you have any lenser focus moded p4 seoul led torches for sale.kind regards p.stuart

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know what happened to EngrPaul's pictures for this Seoul LED mod guide? It appears that photobucket has taken the pictures down, so can anyone please help by mirroring them or hosting them elsewhere? Thanks!

EngrPaul is taking a hiatus from CPF (temporarily we hope), and I suspect he probably removed the pics from Photobucket to gain extra space.

I'll have to post some pics with a how-to sometime. The only difference in my mod is that instead of shimming the emitter, I shim the heatsink itself.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
PAGING FLASHCRAZY

I'm here, I'm here! :D

pukkapaul, I should have some for sale earlier next month. You can keep an eye on the first page of my thread for updates if you'd like. :) Just click on the "Must Have" link at the bottom of this post.

Last edited:

gouki64

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul is taking a hiatus from CPF (temporarily we hope), and I suspect he probably removed the pics from Photobucket to gain extra space.

I'll have to post some pics with a how-to sometime. The only difference in my mod is that instead of shimming the emitter, I shim the heatsink itself.

Shim the heatsink?? Sounds neat, what's the benefit of shimming the heatsink rather than shimming the emitter?

I'm going to attempt this mod soon and will document the process as I go.

Brownstone

Enlightened
I wound up putting a piece of copper in, forgetting that mine was actually .017" thick instead of .015".

I wonder if anyone can suggest an easily found hardware store object that would be 0.015" to 0.017" thick. I'm not sure what to make this shim out of.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
srvctec may chime in with what he used but I've used these for when I've needed .027-.030". One is a spade elec. connector, and the other is an auto fuse. I just snip them off with a pair of cutters. I had to take a bit off with a grinder too, before snipping them, but they've worked ok. You'd have to take off more to get to .015 though. They're not copper either but should work just fine. And just round the corners off if needed after cutting them off.

spacersda3.jpg

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Lite me,

I have your exact light, the Coast 3.44 watt Professional Use LED Lenser.
It is my favorite small flashlight because its performance is simply amazing!
I also like how it looks.

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yupper,,,, it's one of my favorite lights. Have you seen FlashCrazy's mod thread. I have one of his modded 7438s and it is the bomb! (Flash)Crazy bright! The thread is here....