Cocktails with coffee=cafe?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just made a drink called "The Revolver"

2oz barrel proof bourbon (I used wild turkey 101)
0.5oz coffee liqueur. (Mr black preferred but kalhua is fine too)
2 dashes of orange bitters
Expressed oil from peel of orange
Stirred with ice.

This is a very fine drink on a Christmas Eve

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some places you can buy small bottles of concentrate for some famous liquers, and some more generic ones e.g. hazelnut cream. Here they cost about $6 each. For example, hazelnut cream (similar to name brands) mix concentrate with vodka, fresh cream (suggested 18% but some recommend higher, up to whipping cream 35%!), and some sugar. Proportions can be varied to suit your taste e.g. less sugar. Results are great for what I have tried so far.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some places you can buy small bottles of concentrate for some famous liquers, and some more generic ones e.g. hazelnut cream. Here they cost about $6 each. For example, hazelnut cream (similar to name brands) mix concentrate with vodka, fresh cream (suggested 18% but some recommend higher, up to whipping cream 35%!), and some sugar. Proportions can be varied to suit your taste e.g. less sugar. Results are great for what I have tried so far.

Dave
So nobody's tried this...I guess not.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah I make all my own syrups and everything. Not into premade flavorings
Bonus that you make your own concentrates....any suggestions/hints on making simple ones for coffee or hazelnut cream etc. type? The OTC ones used to be $4 each which was not bad, but getting a bit steep for my liking.

They even have an extract for Sambuca...wondering why, it's easy enough just to buy it.

Dave

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bonus that you make your own concentrates....any suggestions/hints on making simple ones for coffee or hazelnut cream etc. type? The OTC ones used to be $4 each which was not bad, but getting a bit steep for my liking.

They even have an extract for Sambuca...wondering why, it's easy enough just to buy it.

Dave
I don't make a hazelnut cream one that's not really a flavour that I would probably just buy it if I needed it. Irish, I make my own Irish coffee. I make my own coffee liqueur with coffee concentrate, sugar, and moonshine basically. I'm more into classic cocktails and distilling. David Wonderich and Jeffery Morganthaler are both good sources. The book "imbibe" is excellent.

But I make my own grenadine. simple syrup. Demerara syrup. I have a red current syrup that's very good. All spice dram. Oleo saccarim, falernum, cream of coconut, orgeat, lime cordial. Plus I make some of my own bitters.

Last edited: