Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
I use Nyogel almost exclusively on electrical contacts that get connected disconnected often (like USB connections) the tool guy who introduced me to Nyogel said that's basically was it was for. As for O rings and threads I use Sylglide (it's a silicone based lubricant) UNLESS the flashlight grounds through the threads, then I use Caig Industries Preserve it. I clean any contact areas and battery contacts with Caig industries Deoxit, then apply Preserve it. I'm a mechanic and use a Mag Tac rechargeable to inspect cars and a Mag Mini LED Pro+ while working I've had em for years and have no flickering issues.

Husker

Enlightened
The 1st post hasn't been updated since 2013, so I'm guessing things have changed?

I would prefer not to have to use two different lubes.

I only have 4 lights (REV ARDOR, ZEBRA LIGHT, JAXMAN & SHADOWHAWK) Is there a single product/brand of grease/oil that is recommended for both of the Threads & O-Rings?

Husker

Enlightened
+1 for Super Lube. I originally bought it for my polyurethane sway bar bushings on my car after other lubes did not hold up. After seeing that it came up highly recommended for lubing O-rings on flashlights, I've used Super Lube for that purpose too. Unlike petroleum jelly, it goes on thin and you can rub it down to almost liquid instead of a thick jelly. I like that this one tube can service both my flashlights and my car. It's also rather easy to find. They usually sell the tubes at Harbor Freight Tools.

I see Super Lube makes this product> https://www.super-lube.com/o-ring-silicone-grease would it be good for the threads as well?

LanceMoreland

Newly Enlightened
Tekno_Cowboy,

The reason that I ask is that on my lights where bare aluminum threads are part of the twisty switch, and therefore get used frequently (with moderately high tension as the head is cinched down), I have found that ALL greases with PTFE thickeners are at least mildly abrasive.

- Luminescent

I bought some PTFE at great expense years ago when this thread first started and and always suspected this. My lights just did not feel smooth when using PTFE. I have several Surefire twist on lights. It also bothered me that they lube quickly turned black or dark grey. That told me that it was trapping aluminum particles. I just cleaned the PTFE from my lights and replaced it with Mobil 1 red synthetic grease and things feel much smoother now.

berniev

Newly Enlightened
Apparently contradicting much of this thread LED Lenser state:
"You can treat the O-ring which can now be seen on the light compartment with silicon-free grease."

Any ideas on a good product?

berniev

Newly Enlightened
Change your O ring. There's plenty on Ebay, just get the right size and you're away.
P

But what grease to use? Just about every post win this thread talks about silicon based greases, but LEDLaser specifically state silicon-free.

My understanding from reading here is that a silicon o-ring must not be lubed with silicone but for a nitrile o-ring it doesn't matter. But then there's the aluminium body to consider. Gees this seems ridiculously complicated for a torch!!

PaperKnife

Newly Enlightened
I went to my Ford dealership today and bought a Tube(87grams or 3 ounces)of their XG-12 grease for approx. 13 dollars. It is the same as Nyogel 760g. I called Nye lubricants to confirm. Best price that I could find for the quantity. I just wanted to share, because I thought it was a great find. Sorry, if this has already been mentioned.

This is very relevant.
I contacted Nye Lubricants and confirmed the same.
Went to a Ford dealership and paid $18.xx total out the door.

That's roughly 75% off what I found elsewhere for Nyogel 760G.
Thanks to your post @OpticNerve I was able to get a 3oz tube quicker and cheaper.

Others may find this info useful as much as I did.

Thanks.

Edit
|
|
V

Went ahead and tested to see if Ford's Grease had the UV Tracer in it.
Threw some on a piece of toilet paper and hit it with UV light.
Glows just like NyoGel 760G!
well well well..... Ford's Grease appears to be the same indeed.

50227104277_001297af8d_c.jpg

50227104457_c58180f105_c.jpg

50226878291_66f2a17f44_c.jpg

50226238288_9fb19e40b8_c.jpg

50226238388_61cd7516de_c.jpg

Last edited:

PaperKnife

Newly Enlightened
So the XG-12 is harmless to Orings ?

Depends what kind of O-rings are being used in your product or light.
There's always a potential for a compatibility issue when grease is introduced to certain chemistry make-ups of plastics or rubbers.

Some rubber o-Rings are compatible with many lubricants.
Best to check out a compatibility chart if you can locate one.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on getting the Ford branded 760G, much cheaper and exactly the same thing. Nye's April newsletter repeats info on automotive use of 760G and gives part numbers for Ford, GM and Chrysler.
https://www.nyelubricants.com/service-bulletin-nyogel-760g

For O-ring compatibility, my understanding is that silicone rings will be orange/reddish or blue, and you shouldn't use silicone based lube on them, as it seems to make them rot. Black rings are usually nitrile/buna or the like, and it seems you can use any lube you like. Nye also has a chart describing this compatibility - click on their chart for a PDF version you can keep handy.
https://www.nyelubricants.com/technical-reference

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just saw the Nyogel 760G datasheet,
and it says a Shelf Life of 4 Years !

I was unaware of this fact !

FYI . . . .

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but I'm not going to worry about it, I just keep using my 2012 tube from Lighthound. It seems fine to me!

PaperKnife

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, but I'm not going to worry about it, I just keep using my 2012 tube from Lighthound. It seems fine to me!

Like you, I wouldn't worry about it either.
Nyogel 760G is considered a "Lube For Life" according to NewGate Simms (UK Authorized Distributor of NyoGel).
Youtube video: At 3:20 minutes in, he mentions it.
Source

I did see the datasheet as well that mentioned 4 years shelf life, but again, not a concern really...
I'd be more concerned if the lube was compatible with certain o-rings.

As an example:

Buna-N (not to be confused with Buna-S) is essentially Nitrile Rubber.
With a base of Polyalphaolefin (PAO) in 760G; according to Nye Lubricant's compatibility table, it's safe to use with with Buna-N (Nitrile).

At least that's my understanding.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I use RICO premiun Cork grease, it`s for the joints on my clarinet.
I don`t know what`s in it, but it`s harmless to O rings and threads so far, non toxic and doesn`t have a smell as such, it`s in a chapstick type tube and goes on the same way.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to my Ford dealership today and bought a Tube(87grams or 3 ounces)of their XG-12 grease for approx. 13 dollars. It is the same as Nyogel 760g. I called Nye lubricants to confirm. Best price that I could find for the quantity. I just wanted to share, because I thought it was a great find. Sorry, if this has already been mentioned.

Nice. Thank you thank you. FYI Motorcraft XG-12 is trending on zahBay for $19.60. I'll be locating and visiting the nearest Ford dealership.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Amazon price for Ford XG-12 is also about $19.32, but Ford parts dealers on Amazon seem to be charging about $16 including shipping. Hopefully if you have a Ford dealer nearby, you can get a competitive price, and much easier than trying to find Nyogel.

Now if only we could find damping grease like Nyogel 767A at a discount.