Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

Cemoi

Enlightened
I'm looking for a very thick conductive grease to fix the wobbly head of my Astrolux M01.
NO-OX-ID seems to fill the bill from what I read in this thread.
Do you know a way to have it shipped to France without being charged stratospheric shipping fees?
litchfieldstation.com sells the 2oz. can for less than $2, but charges at least [FONT=&quot]$[/FONT][FONT=&quot]24.50 to ship it to France [/FONT]:mad:
On ebay, even the tiny 7gram tubes which cost $2 imply a minimum $19 shipping fee :mad::mad:

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a very thick conductive grease to fix the wobbly head of my Astrolux M01. NO-OX-ID seems to fill the bill from what I read in this thread.
It's good stuff and the default I reach for when I am looking for light dampening. Though I will admit that Nano-Oil feels different, very smooth. I may switch to it having used it on pivots many years back and not being excitted about the results. Probably mix it in with some Krytox 205 for rings and threads...

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I see Super Lube makes this product> https://www.super-lube.com/o-ring-silicone-grease would it be good for the threads as well?

It should be ok as long as you dont use it on silicone O rings. It seems to be one of the only products readily available in Canada for a decent price. $12 shipped for 4 oz on Amazon.The ford version of Nyogel sells for $42 here and its special order with a 6 to 8 week delivery time. No one seems to carry true Nyogel unless you order from the states.

I got a bottle today and it seems to work well. Cant comment on the longevity yet but the initial impression is very good.

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
Holy moly! 71 pages on flashlight lube. I love this place!

And Dow 111 I believe is an excellent lube for this purpose.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the choice version of krytox to use on ti threads? Just the plain pfpe GPL205? Or the thicker 206 or 207 versions?

timbo114

Enlightened
I use my own mix of Krytox GPL206 Grease and Krytox GPL-105 oil.
May be similar to Sandwich Shoppe Krytox 50/50 blend.

Krytox™ oils and greases are silicone-free.
They do not contain any VOC materials or chlorine, and are not hazardous to the atmosphere or ozone layer.
They are biologically and environmentally inert.

*Just like Brylcreem ...
a little dab will do ya.

Last edited:

OregonMedic

Newly Enlightened
Just to double check, both Nyogel and Super-Lube are NOT silicone based, correct? And thus should not cause swelling or decay to silicone based O-rings? I ask because I was informed by the owner of Sofirn that his O-rings are silicone based. Thanks in advance

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to double check, both Nyogel and Super-Lube are NOT silicone based, correct? And thus should not cause swelling or decay to silicone based O-rings? I ask because I was informed by the owner of Sofirn that his O-rings are silicone based. Thanks in advance
I -think- regular Superlube grease is silicone-based. I used some once many years ago with red O-rings and ruined them. YMMV. My guess is that their silicone O-ring product is not silicone.

Nyogel 760G is not silicone. The Ford version is usually cheaper and easier to get.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then again, reading the Superlube O-ring lube page, it seems to say that it is silicone for silicone O-rings, which makes no sense to me. Maybe it's not the silicone but some other ingredient that ruins silicone rings.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
What is the choice version of krytox to use on ti threads? Just the plain pfpe GPL205? Or the thicker 206 or 207 versions?

For years, I've been using the Krytox GPL 105 for general use around the house and vehicle, and the GPL 225 grease for more corrosive (incl outdoor) and threaded instances where I need a good non-reactive grease with good temperature range. Have another tube of the GPL 225 grease coming soon (just ran out, recently). Will re-lube the threads on my flashlights once it comes. I'll use the lights in all weather, including in the rain, cold down to 0ºF. It's a bit thick, and almost certainly overkill, for flashlight threads. But it ought to be compatible with all of the o-rings and should certainly keep things from seizing up.

Johns957

Newly Enlightened
I have starte to use Haynes Lubri-Film Plus. It is non-toxic and seems to work good.

OregonMedic

Newly Enlightened
Then again, reading the Superlube O-ring lube page, it seems to say that it is silicone for silicone O-rings, which makes no sense to me. Maybe it's not the silicone but some other ingredient that ruins silicone rings.
That's what I'm thinking (and hoping). I found one of my old Foursevens flashlights (it was sitting in a storage container for about 4 years untouched). Cleaned off the old lube and dirt with rubbing alcohol then used Superlube to condition the O-ring and help with water resistance. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the o-ring but from what I've read SuperLube does pretty well with silicone based O-rings.

OldGreyDog

Newly Enlightened
I'm cleaning a couple of old torches and found this mostly old thread. I have a bit of silicone grease but don't know what the o-rings in these torches are made of. I think i'll try a tiny drop of Napier Gun Oil which does not seem to react with the o-rings in airguns.