deer are jerks

Duster1671

Enlightened
A few years ago I hit one on the highway at 75 mph. Totalled the car and killed the deer, but thankfully I wasn't hurt.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
A few years ago I hit one on the highway at 75 mph. Totalled the car and killed the deer, but thankfully I wasn't hurt.

Ouch. Of course, had the deer entered the cabin through the windshield, it could easily have been worse. Close call.

My one area of crummy eyesight is dark, misty/rainy, particularly at twilight or just after. There's something about the moisture in the air that turns my focus sideways once it gets to be that time of evening. Have good glasses on, for driving, and everything's sharp and crisp ... until that condition occurs. I always fear the dear at evening "feeding" time right around dusk. You never know. Near town, not so many of them. But outside the town limits they're everywhere in the hills. Minor barricades and fencing around the roadways are no issue for them, as they just vault right over.

Once had a ~15lb cinder block go through the hood and into the engine bay, at highway speed. (Tossed by some idiots from the overpass.) Made a real mess. I've only seen photos, but striking a 100lb+ deer can certainly run one's day.

What's the old saying ... "Keep yer 'left' up!" Yeah.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
are deer smart enough to find a opening in a fence? maybe we can fence the side of roads

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol im dumb but not that dumb lol. there trully so many arround my home see a doen or more everyday and night. what blows my mind is how they run thru bush brush and trees. i cant even alk thru it and they run

Poppy

Flashaholic
are deer smart enough to find a opening in a fence? maybe we can fence the side of roads
I am pretty sure that sections of the New York State Thruway is fenced, and that they have some tunnels for the deer to get to the other side. The fence is a little funneled into the tunnel. The fences are more than the typical 4 feet high, which deer can easily jump.

I saw an episode about animals, and elephants would cross a bridge to get to pastures on the other side.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
... ... ... ... I saw an episode about animals, and elephants would cross a bridge to get to pastures on the other side.
Packs of stray dogs in Moscow have learned how to use the subway system.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
some dogs are crazy super smart. sadly breeders still seem to breed dogs for looks or cutness and forget to breed intelligence .my chow mix i know understood what i was saying to him

raggie33

*the raggedier*
we also have some invasive spiders last night i walked into a web it blew my mind the web startered 20 feet up on a lamppost and its next connection was 25 feet away! i cant understand how he made that distance

Poppy

Flashaholic
200.gif

codybene

Newly Enlightened
A few years ago when I visited Nara, Japan, where deer are densely populated. My butt got bitten by deer, twice. So yea, deer are jerks