Dereelight Nightmaster or Xsearcher?

Kenaz

Newly Enlightened
hello all,

Was looking at the nightmaster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td2K9SVFwpA

Then learned that the xsearcher with the ez900 throws even farther. You can also get the xsearcher with an xm-l pill. Does anyone have any personal experience with one or both of these lights? pros, cons, general comments desired. Thanks.

-Louis

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC, the XSearcher has a larger lens, so it should give you a narrower beam with the same LED then the Nightmaster. No personal experience with any Dereelights, but I hear they are well built.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
From tests done, it appears that the Xsearcher's beam is wider than the Nitemasters', so it throws about as far, but with a larger spot of light.

IIRC, that was with the XML.

The smaller die should throw proportionally further.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Xsearcher can also use all deerelight pills(not just deerelight it accepts any P60 style pill)...

With XML it has wider beam(4× bigger than EZ900) with similar throw as Nightmaster EZ900(little less if U ask me), but if U put EZ900 pill inside Xsearcher throw will go over 150 000 lux/m

I have also tried modified XPC(1,2amp driver) inside Xsearcher and it goes well over 180kcd with ugliest and thinnest beam I ever seen(don't recommend XPC for Xsearcher and Nightmaster... EZ900 is maximum you should put in, everything less than that will be to thin)

My favorite is still Nightmaster(Throwmaster)... "Small torch for epic beam" as they say in UK ...

For old DBS aspheric fans new nightmaster is improved in every way with smaller body(yes it has smaller diameter of head with greater throw)

For pure throw fans and modding experts Xsearcher can go well over 200 000 lux with right pill ;)

Regards

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xsearcher can also use all deerelight pills(not just deerelight it accepts any P60 style pill)...

With XML it has wider beam(4× bigger than EZ900) with similar throw as Nightmaster EZ900(little less if U ask me), but if U put EZ900 pill inside Xsearcher throw will go over 150 000 lux/m

I have also tried modified XPC(1,2amp driver) inside Xsearcher and it goes well over 180kcd with ugliest and thinnest beam I ever seen(don't recommend XPC for Xsearcher and Nightmaster... EZ900 is maximum you should put in, everything less than that will be to thin)

My favorite is still Nightmaster(Throwmaster)... "Small torch for epic beam" as they say in UK ...

For old DBS aspheric fans new nightmaster is improved in every way with smaller body(yes it has smaller diameter of head with greater throw)

For pure throw fans and modding experts Xsearcher can go well over 200 000 lux with right pill ;)

Regards

Hi guys.

My Dereelight DBS-T EZ900 2MT Aspherical puts out a great thin beam that is quite useable and it keeps up in throw and kcd with my SR90.

Obviously the SR90 has a big coverage area and the Dereelight has a pencil thin beam that has the square that is the shape of the EZ900 LED.

You can't use this light as a normal flashlight as the beam is so thin that there is no spill to see where you are walking.

The is no peripheral coverage with this light as is the same with any Aspherical light.

Aspheric lights are really only used when there is a need for them as they are in a league of their own but are great lights for mounting on a rifle and still using a wider coverage light like the TK75 to find a target when hunting.

Aspheric lights are also used as a "WOW FACTOR" light to show people what it can do and get some great comments from non-flashaholics.

It is a real keeper for me and I have owned it since it first hit the market.

I highly recommend it.

CHEERS

Last edited:

Kenaz

Newly Enlightened
Tatj,
is the xsearcher MUCH bigger than the nightmaster? I saw the measurements but unless you see em side by side, its hard to picture? Can you take a pic of both of them, with your hand in the pic?

Regards

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Here is size difference:
2012-10-26-210925.jpg

About pills from deerelight... Look at pictures I will explain:

Soft aluminuim pill holder with classic deerelight pill & new style brass pill
PC200056_zpsf06d1692.jpg

PC200057_zps9c319a7f.jpg

U can use any P60 pill in a world in deerelight flashlights!(xsearcher,nightmaster, cl1h4) Including cheapest ones that cost 12$ on ebay... How? Simple...
KGrHqEOKiUE2054RlGBN2QfPsgGQ_35_zpsa28d7ba9.jpg

Just take of reflector and spring off P60 style drop in and screw driver into deerelight pill holder and put in Xsearcher or Nightmaster!(pill holder is left on picture) and light is here:candle:

So once again all P60 pills(from q5 to sst50) fits to Xsearcher and Nightmaster but U need to have pill holder(U can order from your deerelight dealer)

Although new style brass pill from deerelight probably has better heat conductivity I still like prefer old style better...

Do you see those ring around emitter in new pill? That ring gives circle around hotspot so if U don't like it you can take it off or color that in black... But that ring holds emitter very well in its place pressing it to brass and thermal paste so it is pretty useful...

Old Vs New one?
I am not sure... I probably like old version the most because of free pill holder but new should be better performer...

Last edited:

NeilP

Enlightened
My mate wanted to buy an XSearcher, the biggest one..and seems to have come away with

http://www.nightmaster.co.uk/products/night-master-xsearcher

kit.jpg

a Nightmaster800 XSearcher, not a Deerelight XSearcher. Seems to be some confusion / mix up with names here. I do not really know what is what any more. Are there two lamps being sold here with near identical names or what?

Here is a picture of his, next to a UF-1508 with 75mm head. The UF is left the XS is right.

The XSearcher did not last long enough to test its beam pattern. It arrived in the morning he went home to collect it, and before it was dark, the pill has died. It was putting out light during the day, but while trying to get to grips with the 'twist for single or triple mode' selection..it went off then failed to come on again.
Tested the switch..it is good, tested the supplied protected batteries, they work in my UF-1508.
But the pill is dead, tried applying g8.4 volts direct to it ..and nada..dead as a dodo within about 3 hour of unpacking it. E-mail sent to supplier

UF1508-33.jpg

NeilP

Enlightened
Ok, I think I can now answer my own question since no one else knows
Looks like the NM800 and XSearcher are the same body, it is just that when you order an XS you get the bigger lens.

Another question though, anyone know how the non IC version communicates to the MCU on the driver. THe driver has two modes,: a single intensity mode and a 3 level mode. mode is changed by turning the barrel.a quarter turn or so. but I can't see any obvious contacts as to how turning the body changes modes.
Any one have any idea? Hall sensor in the driver and magnet in the head? I believe that is how the new IC version does it....