Do you always carry a flashlight or only at night?

ycwflash10

Newly Enlightened
not truly edc. keep one in the car for unknown case but do not carry it when i left. seems the cellphone light is enough for me:grin2:

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
I do carry a light everywhere and all the time (within reason - I don't have a light ON me in the shower). There are a number of reasons, but I'll just share the three most basic (for me).

First is that there is darkness everywhere. I use my EDC to shine under my desk at work, in the corners under stairways, in any room that I need more light but didn't turn on the room lights. The preceding examples are true even on the brightest of days; if you're going into a building then it is likely that you will encounter darkness that can hinder your vision.

Another reason is that unless you're walking a short distance, you can't KNOW when you'll be back. What if your vehicle breaks down or is damaged, or what if a road gets blocked by an accident, or what if your plans change (or are changed for you)? You can know that it is going to get dark sooner or later, and you may still be out in it and need some lighting.

There are very real safety issues involved with having a light, but I did survive for some 28 years without a light; what I'm trying to say is that it's simply so much more FUN and CONVENIENT to have a light in the above situations, which is my last point.

So, *I* think you make sense, lol, and I do EDC a light - every day!

One thing I would add to that list is shopping malls or large department stores, especially ones that occupy three or more levels. Any large department store in a power cut is going to be as dark as hell if the power goes and you are stuck in a shop at the back of the third floor of a three storey mall and the emergency lighting does not come on.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
I usually carry 3, a small pocket light with a clip (t20, micro stream), a keychain light (solitaire was requisitioned by my wife so I'm waiting for my EO5), and a pistol light ( was a tlr3 but I swapped out for a foxfury awl). I used my weapon light as a primary but decided it have away my concealed firearm and started carrying a pocket light.
20150818_171114_1.jpg

What model is the Sig Sauer?.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I would add to that list is shopping malls or large department stores, especially ones that occupy three or more levels. Any large department store in a power cut is going to be as dark as hell if the power goes and you are stuck in a shop at the back of the third floor of a three storey mall and the emergency lighting does not come on.

Absolutely! (Point #1 :cool:)

markr6

Flashaholic

Until 30 kids pull out their smartphones :) Of course that's not something to rely on, but seems hard to get away from some sort of light nowadays.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, likely hood of them said thirty kids being in the same part of store you are in, next to zero chance is my guess.
Grandma may save some with her phone though. ☺

However, if they were in same part of store, you can be guaranteed them phone flood lights would get pointed into everybody's faces looking for a what to do answer before herding towards a door.

Until a CPF member lights up way with a thousand focused lumens and gives a little payback where needed.
You know it'll happen, be blinded by others or light your way.
CPF'rs salute!

ryukin2000

Enlightened
I carry a light all the time. Except when sleeping and showering as others have said. I am glad I over packed lights for the vacation I'm currently on in Vancouver. Staying at my sister in-laws place and wind and rain has caused the power to go out. Glad I brought my lights. Thousands still without power.

kevin008

Newly Enlightened

^^ day or night my trusty 2AAA mag goes where my laptop goes.

^^ this goes where I go.

^^ and now a Sure Fire that fits in a pants pocket.
really nice. and i do that too! always pick up at least one lighting within my laptop bag. and also carry a small edc in my keychain. ;)

Alex W

Newly Enlightened
sure day and night. day for unknown darkness, as the saying it's better to be prepared than unprepared.
night for sorts of things, the sun went down early in my area, take one and go for a walk, sometimes shoot a light to help people finding their lost things. not many people around me would carry a light when they go outside. happy to see their surprised eyes when i turn my stuff on.
:)

Hacken

Enlightened
I carry my flashlight with me 24/7 day or night. You'll never know the situation when you might need it.

Spade115

Newly Enlightened
I always carry a light usually carried a 5 dollar light due to breaking down at night on occasion on my motorcycle. So they came in handy. Now i carry a surefire g2 :D

david57strat

Enlightened
Pretty much these:

Left to Right:

1. Thrunite T10 - original cool white twisty
  2. Thrunite T10 2014 Edition - neutral white twisty/clicky
  3. Nitecore EA11
  4. EagleTac P20C2 Mk II
  5. Solarforce L2P host with Sportac triple Nichia 219 2-mode drop-in
  6. Armytek Dobermann XP-L (This is the newest edition, and probably the most powerful semi-compact single 18650 light I own, to date. Great spotter!
    biggrin.png
    )
  7. Nitecore HC50 (in my pack)
While at work (since I'm not allowed to wear cargo shorts, and can only belt carry one item, which is always my iPhone 5S), I only on-person EDC the P20C2 Mk II (pocket-carried, clipped to my left front pocket), and the rest go in my pack (which I am allowed to have, at arm's reach, thank goodness), along with others (on occasion), like a Fenix E50 (beautiful T6 tint), a Solarforce L2N with a 5-mode XM-L 7C (extremely warm tint), and/or a Nitecore CB6 (XP-G2 R5 tint, and Blue (and secondary/not as powerful Red and Green) emitters, as well - very nice light,that I got on a great sale, a while back.

I also have a large selection of Solarforce hosts with various different tints and user interfaces, so I sometimes also carry a Maxpedition FR-1 Medic bag, which accommodates 6 of those lights, easily. I usually do this only when I have the option of throwing that in a duffel bag or something, along with some of the heavy hitters.

When I have the option of, both, pocket/belt carrying on-person lights, and have the pack, I go crazy and pack whatever suits my fancy, based on what my anticipated needs will be - especially when I travel, or even take a trip out of town for the day (to a family member's house, or whatever), just because I can
tongue.gif

If you want multiple tint options and other interface options, multiple light carry is a must. It's not for everyone, though - especially not the minimalists out there. I am, most definitely, NOT a minimalist, when it comes to flashlights, or knives lol.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've always been the type of person who moves about rooms in the daylight without turning lights on. I suppose because I work outside.
Others walk in and flip a light on.

Well for years I'd be in a situation where I'd be needing a brighter lighting for something and flip on the switch to a room light. Lit up the whole room, but cast an even worse shadow on the area I had needed to see better. But hey, psycologically it did the trick.
Then I'd go find a flashlight that was usually dim from lack of use and lack of power.

Not anymore. Now I whip out a nearby pocket sized sunshine and have at it.

Wife comes home, or boss enters room I'm in...and immediately flip on a light switch saying something like "why have you got it so dark in here?"
I respond "Thomas Jefferson didn't need a light on, neither do I."

Wife turns the light back off.
Boss responds "he's dead, and I do."

Last edited:

Spade115

Newly Enlightened
Love your Response man, I might have to use it, I prefer to work in the dark as well unless im in the middle of nowhere x.X