Do you always carry a flashlight or only at night?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always.

As well, my work EDC: Malkoff MD2 in a SF V70 holster.

My off-work EDC: HDS Rotary in AOTH Sharkskin belt holester and 007 TriV-2 in Thor's Hammer custom holster, Eagletac D25CM Titanium on my keys.

NeonPenguin

Newly Enlightened
I used to not carry one if it was daytime. Then I left the house without and didn't get back til later than expected. Could have used a light 3 times that day(can't remember why, but I know I needed one at least 3 times). Ever since, I make sure I have at least one with me. Now I work nights, so it's pretty much 2nd nature to have one with me. I was out for a walk last night and heard a rustle. A quick check with the S10R and found a skunk MUCH closer than I would have liked. Luckily, we both decided parting ways was the best choice!

LGT

Enlightened
Ugh I thought this thread died, and I was safe from getting "maneater" stuck in my head every time I see the title.
what, exactly, gets the song stuck in your head?
Is it the opening line "she only comes out at night..." Or am I totally off base here and you have no idea what I'm talking about?

And I do carry at least one light with me at all times, except while showering and sleeping. But I will keep a few lights bedside, on the floor. Used to keep them on the nightstand, but would inevitably knock them to the floor while reaching for them.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAaagh! I was walking at almost midnight last night with my ZL 52d. I clip it to the inside of my belt when not in use. I can't find it this morning, I think I missed the clip and it fell out! :(

Good news: There's an updated model so I guess I've no choice but to upgrade. Sc52w L2, here I come! :)

markr6

Flashaholic
AAaagh! I was walking at almost midnight last night with my ZL 52d. I clip it to the inside of my belt when not in use. I can't find it this morning, I think I missed the clip and it fell out! :(

Good news: There's an updated model so I guess I've no choice but to upgrade. Sc52w L2, here I come! :)

LOL, those are the situations where I should be mad, but secretly inside I'm yelling "YES!!!!" to myself. Justification for something else :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, exactly Mark. I kept thinking "I've got the SC52d, I don't need to upgrade, no. No. No upgradey."

I kept thinking "I want to upgrade. I want it. WANT."

Life came along and said "You're going to upgrade, just do it and get it over with!" :)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer! Not much you can do, I guess. Except, that is, enjoy the process of selecting and acquiring a replacement.

So, in the interim, will you have to be content only carrying 3 flashlights 24/7?

nopeda

Newly Enlightened
I always now carry a Meco as a main flashlight and a small single AAA as a backup or in case someone wants to borrow a flashlight, and can't remember a day I never used a flashlight during daylight hours. Also always carry a small adjustable wrench, Schrade multi-tool, small tape measure, razor knife, black and silver sharpy, and a NiteIze headband for the flashlight which again I can't remember a day or maybe night when I didn't use it. With the flashlight I not only use it at some point(s) each day/night myself, but usually end up bringing it out to help someone else as well.

Ruminator

Newly Enlightened
Hello all...

I'm new to the forum, having recently been drawn into the rechargeable battery pit, although I've been a flashlight user for many years.

Yes, I always carry at least one light. Depending on which kit I'm carrying (work, fun, hiking, etc), I'll have two or three lights on me. My EDC is a Thrunite Archer 1A V2, clipped into a cargo pocket. My personal kit has a cheap AAA LED light clipped to the zipper pull and either a Pentagonlight L2 or something else inside. My work carry has at least an old converted Maglite 2xAA with a triple LED insert that I use for peeking inside computers and whatnot.

Wonderful stuff...

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
I always carry at least 2 flashlights all day long. Cause "two is one, one is none" ;-)

The only changes I do is that during spring-summer I carry smaller flashlight (Fenix PD22 UE), but in the autumn-winter I switch for Fenix PD35 (2014 version) because it is easier to conceal it and days are shorter (nights longer...) and it gets dark much sooner in autumn-winter. Fenix PD35 has much better output as well as battery life. Another change I do is when walking a dog around a house... I usually carry Fenix TK16 or TK22. Because I dont have to carry them all day, but just for the walk. My secondary flashlights are Olight S1, Fenix LD02 and NiteCore Tube on keychain.

Tactical flashlight can be an efective defensive tool as well... no matter if it's dark or not. And as previous guys have written...you never know when darkness hits you and you will need more light, even during a sunny noon.

Last edited:

ncgrass

Enlightened
Always interesting to find out what everyone is carrying.

I've taken to carrying my Fenix LD09 on my belt all the time although that will start to be rotated with a Nitecore SRT3 when the CR123 cells arrive this week. I will also carry an Armytek Predator v2.5 or Elzetta Bravo in my pack or belt as my job changes. I want a beefier light than the Fenix as it's getting some hard use lately - I don't want to be left with no options

akhyar

Enlightened
All the time as I have a Nitecore Tube as my keychain light :D
I also have Olight S1 inside my rucksack, or the Sinner Ti Tri-EDC inside my sling bag

wjruth

Newly Enlightened
Always carry a flashlight. Even during daylight, it can get dark inside buildings when the power goes out. In my pocket at a minimum is my Maratac AAA Gen 2 light.

MrJino

Enlightened
My qr beta is always on my keychain, so as long as I don't lose my keys, i have 85 lumens to use.

My backpack has a flashlight too, so that's backup.

At night, i just use the qr beta.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I carry a few lights on me, more if I know I will definitely need a flashlight for a job for more than just a few minute. I often use my lights as I work around people and places where it is dark like looking down a sewer or under a sink or helping someone work on a car or appliance I carry an LD01SS on my keychain that I rarely use now as I also have an Olight O'Pen penlight for that quick blast of light. I'm looking into getting even another flashlight to look down drain cleanouts on bright days it is very hard to see down the dark hole surrounded by bright sunlight and dried white grass dead from the summer season ending even 200 lumens doesn't often fight the bright surroundings closing your iris down. I used to walk often at night and I needed a decent thrower to look into dumpsters for boxes and in the street when I see something interesting someone dropped there.
When I know I will be outdoors at night I usually have more lights on me. I've also worked under a house for a week even in the daytime there isn't enough light in some places to see what you are doing there a headlamp is a wonderful thing to have especially when you are only under there to fix something and not going to do hours of work to justify dragging a corded light under there.

Learningtobeprepared

Newly Enlightened
I'v been carrying flashlights in my EDC bag for a year or two now, BUT ...THANKS TO THIS SITE ... and ...A COUPLE of FRIENDS...I'm now officially EDCing at least one flashlight everywhere now. I love it. I'm also excited for my next flashlight purchase even though I don't need another one. LOL.

SO THANK YOU ALL FOR ENCOURAGING ME TO EDC A LIGHT (and even a pocket knife now).