Do You Always Have a Flashlight On Your Person?

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my EDC

Billetspin ss/cu soul pen
Spyderco Native 5 fluted carbon
George's Balaton ti/mokume gane
6f6084799f24c744cd1e945181e55c0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

KooDeRR Whistle

Newly Enlightened
lmao funny stories, I carry two every I leave the house, have more in vehicles as well. My EDC is surefire eb2 backup and 4sevens preon 2

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
This is my EDC

Billetspin ss/cu soul pen
Spyderco Native 5 fluted carbon
George's Balaton ti/mokume gane
6f6084799f24c744cd1e945181e55c0d.jpg

I like your pocket organizer. Now I've got questions. How much room does that take up in a pocket? Which pocket do you keep it in? Is it too bulky to keep that and a key ring in the same pocket?

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your pocket organizer. Now I've got questions. How much room does that take up in a pocket? Which pocket do you keep it in? Is it too bulky to keep that and a key ring in the same pocket?
Right pocket. Fits surprisingly well! Just enough for the pockit to comfortably. My keys are in the left pocket

Candlestick

Newly Enlightened
Always, every day. If I go to take a shower I leave the light on the counter where I could find it quick in case of a power outage. I am carrying a ZL sc64c LE, which is great, though I wouldn't mind having a HDS (my edc for 3 years until lost in the woods) or Malkolf 18650 light. Even at night I either have a light clipped to pjs, under the pillow, or on the night stand. I also used to keep a Peak Eiger SS high CRI lug on my key chain on a S hook, always on my belt loop.

That reminds me, I need to get another one. 2 lights are a must, because sometimes you hand a light to someone else to quickly borrow, and find you need one yourself really quick. I also keep a spare 18650 in a match tube in my pocket at all times unless wearing gym shorts. My philosophy is that I always need 3-6 hours on high at any given moment. And yes, it has come up where I needed to have a light on high over three hours, to help dig a sunk truck and trailer out of sand. In that case there were a half dozen adults and I was the only one with any sort of non-phone light as we were driving through the desert sand after dark. :thumbsdow It was that event that really pushed me to 18650 lights, AAA and AA just don't cut it for runtime/output on a main EDC light. Zebras are compact enough now that they are smaller than most AA lights with 3x the power. Of course for something like a nightstand or reading and writing light you can't beat their flood headlamps.

So for me the typical strategy is
1 18650 light + Spare fully charged battery
1 Backup light, bonus if keychain sized
18650 Headlamp and another spare battery in bag, or in person if specifically going out to work at night.

I also EDC a leatherman, and usually a pen and pocket composition notebook, important in case you need to take notes or remember something. I have started a dream journal, and that .05 lumen setting is really handy to jot down quick notes in the middle of the night without loosing sleep.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
After an 18 month stint working out of town I unpacked this evening. See each Monday I'd drive to the project and return on Friday. Each week a different hotel room. Habits. Same suitcases with food and supplies for the period. Variety being the spice of life my suitcases became heavier over time. What started out as a carry on and a grocery bag being enough at one point I added a second, expandable suitcase. I even had a dvd player to go with the universal remote I bought at somepoint when one place I stayed had a tv with no remote. 2 coffee cups, a coffee maker, any potential medicines I might need, spare watches, all kinds of stuff had accumulated including flashlights.

While unpacking I kept finding stuff I'd forgotten about. I wondered where my Evel Kneivel watch went. It turns out I had little by little added 22 flashlights to the stuff I carried. I suppose instead of carrying a couple of lights and a bunch of batteries each week, instead my battery carriers had on/off switches.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It turns out I had little by little added 22 flashlights to the stuff I carried

Dang, man - that was a stint! Welcome home - 'for real'! Now let me speculate...You were claiming you weren't buying as many lights during that timeframe, but fact is you were having most of 'em shipped to your hotel to lower accountability, and that's​ how 22 ended up in that bag!(?)

flat-ray

Enlightened
Yes, I have!
CooYoo quantum SS key chain. Always with me. Very strong un spite of use and abuse.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now this is Entertaining!
I do the same thing really?
Except that I rarely buy a light when on the road as there are not a lot of lights that interest me out in the Wild,unlike you who does seem to go for a lot more readily accessible choices and maybe this helps to explain it a little too?!

We have to have something to do while away though!

I seem to end up with duplicate power tools?

After an 18 month stint working out of town I unpacked this evening. See each Monday I'd drive to the project and return on Friday. Each week a different hotel room. Habits. Same suitcases with food and supplies for the period. Variety being the spice of life my suitcases became heavier over time. What started out as a carry on and a grocery bag being enough at one point I added a second, expandable suitcase. I even had a dvd player to go with the universal remote I bought at somepoint when one place I stayed had a tv with no remote. 2 coffee cups, a coffee maker, any potential medicines I might need, spare watches, all kinds of stuff had accumulated including flashlights.

While unpacking I kept finding stuff I'd forgotten about. I wondered where my Evel Kneivel watch went. It turns out I had little by little added 22 flashlights to the stuff I carried. I suppose instead of carrying a couple of lights and a bunch of batteries each week, instead my battery carriers had on/off switches.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It was a hoarder thing I suppose. Check into hotel A where they give you a little gift bag that gets used to hold a few small items like a charger cord for usb flashlight and an extra watch I had brought. Toss it in the luggage and return home forgetting my night stand light was in it. Following week carry another night stand light along with cool light I hadn't used in a while. After a few months I started wondering "where did X go" and decided "oh it's in the luggage, never mind". Yup it had 2 cans of asparugus, a weeks worth of spare cloths, heaven knows how many front desk type ink pens, all kinds of stuff.

And yeah I had acquired a Maglite or two at local Wal Marts.

tgo

Newly Enlightened
Yes.

Nitecore MT1A currently, soon to be Zebralight SC64c LE

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd be hard pressed to find someone here who doesn't have a light on their person. I ended up in the hospital this morning and since I didn't know what was going to happen, before I left home, I emptied my pockets of my black pflexpro convoy s2+, frelux synergy bfg and my tubevn with my car keys. I just came from work so my manker mk35 was tossed out the bag to make room for a change of clothes. I found my new astrolux ec01 at the bottom of the bag and tossed that too. Same day surgery and i was home by 3 pm.
My cousin came to town to take care of her sister and she came to visit me when I got home from the hospital. I haven't seen her in a year so she gave me a big hug and then noticed her earring was missing I went in my bag to look for a light because I knew I didn't have one in my pocket as I'm searching around I remembered I took the lights out just as I opened up one of the pockets which I didn't check earlier inside was a red convoy S2+that was modded, alongside it, there was a stock d4 in a kydex holster. as I placed the light on the floor to look for the earring, I realized I had my spare keys in my pocket in case the wife locked herself out the car. On the keychain was my jet mini mk 1.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shed literally all EDC for jury duty (one day, only stayed a couple hours) to get through court security scott free.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Felt pretty scarey 5s, didn't it?
Depending on a quite likely under performing washout who was relegated to courtroom security duty to keep everyone safe……

They made me leave my wallet one day when I was there to buy a business license. I said "I need my photo ID to buy a license sir". Get upstairs only to be asked to see my photo ID…… which was downstairs because the mall cop flunkee made me leave it there. I left without buying that license, screw 'em.

When I returned to get my belongings one of the deputies asked why I had 3 flashlights with me in the daytime. My response was "because I left the fourth one in my car".

Last edited:
My person sits quietly in the corner until called upon. :D

I carry a light at all times. Keychain light minimum, while working normally an 18650-based light in pocket and on my forehead.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm here in sweats today babysitting my not-quite-2 year old grandson. The Milky Arnor in my pocket may be overkill, but he likes it... :D He even knows which pocket my lights are always clipped to. Smart kid with good taste. Takes after his Grandmother. ;)

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Always....why wouldn't you? There small and bright enough I don't understand why some people still don't, every day I carry my Atactical A1 or my Thru-nite T30s In the shower It sits on a shelf next to the stall, sleeping It's on the night stand.
So pretty much 24/7 there's a flashlight within arms reach.:D

Last edited: