Does anyone have an HDS and an OR BOSS?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't figure out a way to afford a 400-500 dollar light. I aint saying it aint worth it....I'm just afraid I'll never be able to own this perfect Grail Light.

I feel your pain, brother. I'll just say that if I were a bachelor, I'd have BOSS 70's in several different metals by now.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both HDS and Boss use thermal management, pics are hosted on my flickr account, but link to the original reviews for more detail:

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Emitters cost only maybe a few dollars each .... I greatly doubt that a "single emitter" BOSS would be significantly less expensive.

In fact, as it would likely require extensive modification and / or redesign of the driver, it might well cost more :shrug:

This.

LEDs are like 2% of the cost so much more would need to be removed. An otherwise identical BOSS with basic drivers for example, would be closer to $300. Better to start over.

Speaking of which, I'm releasing parts tomorrow that combined are about half off a BOSS. You definitely give up some things (including two led), but the results are still exciting, functional, and feel great in the hand.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your significant other actually know the price of these lights? Never go above "about 50 bucks".

This is good advice!

I have several HDS, Rotary, Clicky and Twisty - they are superb.

I have a Scout (V5 triple) which is also on regular EDC duty.

But I couldn't justify a BOSS.

Yet...

ven

Flashaholic
I really want a BOSS P, every flavour would simply be awesome! However , unsure of which i prefer as i love them all................i dont even know where to start. The 1st batch maybe my fav, but then the cu and black ano are shouting " tell kids xmas has been terminated due to brexit"

Sometimes being a single male sounds so cool:devil: Why are kids so expensive!

All in time..................:Di just get to appreciate the lights i have that bit more:)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm finally decided, I'm going to hold out for a V5 WASP Head and put it on a TL50 Tube with a ZeroRez Shorty and a Triad.
Having used the HDS, it has spoilt me for a converntional clicky, and I don't have the confidence in a clicky switch that I have in a ZeroRez.
Actually, I think the HDS has spoilt me for most other lights.
Thanks all for your input, I hope you found this thread as interesting as I have.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm finally decided, I'm going to hold out for a V5 WASP Head and put it on a TL50 Tube with a ZeroRez Shorty and a Triad.
P

A fine choice. You'll have to return with photos when you finally get it. I hope your wait won't be too long. On another note, this thread helped me decide that I want an HDS rotary with the nichia 219b, but it looks like I'll be playing the waiting game as well.

Scribe

Newly Enlightened
I have multiple bosses and love them all. I just pulled the trigger on a hds high noon from Hogo and can't wait to get it. Also bought the new p20 from OR with the DIP and it's a really cool light in XPL HI 4K. This light addiction is killing me...

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love a pink Nichia
who has a pink Nichia in an HDS and or a Boss?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hondt-Beagle&p=5154615&viewfull=1#post5154615
Tint compared to my 219c equipped Boss. Beagle to the right.

0904a093586c69fd3c06ce2fb8a571ff.jpg

my latest cheap thrill is minus green filters, they really help the N219c Imo
example
3000k 219c on left, 3000k 219c w -1/4 green on right
38544484732_c1f604f598_h.jpg

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may not be qualified to even reply to this thread BUT the BOSS has been explained to me as a Ferrari in the flashlights. HDS though not the Ferrari, to ME is more like the Hummer!
I haven't owned a BOSS but owned several HDS's. The Boss crowd is very selective in my case physically haven't been able to get one. I looked into Barrel flashlight, similar in my opinion to BOSS. HDS to this day still is the light I use most and the light I know without a doubt I can count on. Most of you know my issues with HDS and as a company, I feel could look at quality control better and accept responsibility where something isn't right for a $300 flashlight... BUT if you give me Surefire's, HDS, Boss, Barrel, Muyshondt and I had to take that light to a situation that could change my life forever... then that will be Surefire and HDS.
HDS still has the rest beat due to his technology and the fact that there are so many functions.
In saying that, I will say stay away from the newer designed battery tubes. I ve got one that is faulty and no one has responded to fix it. Probably to do with issues that have been made public. That's ok, I can eat $142 and it'll be with me till either I die or it gets replaced.
It is nice and smooth clockwise but counter clockwise is to me very gritty but it's not grit and it damn sure ain't air bubbles as some have stated. In addition I ve experienced some "abnormal bright flashes" in lower levels... that wouldn't be good either in a tricky situation.
For a $300 Light it's FAULTY, end of. Luckily I have an older designed tube that is perfect.
Go for the older tails!

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS still has the rest beat due to his technology and the fact that there are so many functions.
In saying that, I will say stay away from the newer designed battery tubes. I ve got one that is faulty and no one has responded to fix it. Probably to do with issues that have been made public. That's ok, I can eat $142 and it'll be with me till either I die or it gets replaced.
It is nice and smooth clockwise but counter clockwise is to me very gritty but it's not grit and it damn sure ain't air bubbles as some have stated. In addition I ve experienced some "abnormal bright flashes" in lower levels... that wouldn't be good either in a tricky situation.
For a $300 Light it's FAULTY, end of. Luckily I have an older designed tube that is perfect.
Go for the older models!

This is very surprising, I'm shocked it's the first time I'm reading about it 🤣

Seriously though, I did comment for a reason. Do you experience the bright flash only with the new tube and not with the old tube on the same head?

With regard to your comment about Barrel, you're doing Torchlab/Oveready a disservice by comparing it to the Boss. Barrel is in essence a fashion accessory. Off the shelf internals, underpowered by a cr123 but as thick as an 18350 light. The Boss is the most advanced light available these days, both in design and electronics.

To the OP: buy both. Sure, you can compare Boss vs HDS and talk about which one is better but in reality they're both best in class. Buy the Boss first though and then decide if you still need another light. I suggest buying used, easy to sell with no loss if you decide one isn't for you.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is very surprising, I'm shocked it's the first time I'm reading about it 🤣

Seriously though, I did comment for a reason. Do you experience the bright flash only with the new tube and not with the old tube on the same head?

With regard to your comment about Barrel, you're doing Torchlab/Oveready a disservice by comparing it to the Boss. Barrel is in essence a fashion accessory. Off the shelf internals, underpowered by a cr123 but as thick as an 18350 light. The Boss is the most advanced light available these days, both in design and electronics. I haven't had a Barrel and I ve already decided I won't ...

To the OP: buy both. Sure, you can compare Boss vs HDS and talk about which one is better but in reality they're both best in class. Buy the Boss first though and then decide if you still need another light. I suggest buying used, easy to sell with no loss if you decide one isn't for you.

Oz,
You are correct I am doing a disservice... but I physically can't get a Barrel, OR a Barrel. I have Muyshondt, HDS, Prometheus, and Surefire...
What money I have left there are never any BoSS lights to buy cause someone else got the money.
So it is what it is, supply and demand. In saying that given recent experience with HDS I will be looking elsewhere and it's a shame cause I really like HDS lights, I almost broke myself buying them...

Sorry for the too much detailed view but yes the problem has only been with the newly designed tails. I have an older tail and I ve put that in my 250 head, no issues problems or bright flashes. Done! Henry hasn't responded to my request to send the new tail back... been at least a couple weeks now... and I figure he won't cause I m only one person... but you know.... I m not happy. And I too was one of the folks who said "you know, that's the best light I ve had"

I know that Henry wanted to make a more robust light (don't know if you remember the motorcycle accident) and I figure many people will be angry at me but you know, if you are going to redesign something my idea is solve "the" problem rather than creating more!

Last edited: