EDC Pen?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello LightCacher!

I had a couple of those pens! Loved the girth and feel. But for some reason, after awhile, the rubber gets kind of "mushy" and tends to "rotate" on me. Don't know why. Another full sized pen I use is an Opera fountain pen by Waterman.

Enjoy!

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Hello LightCacher!

I had a couple of those pens! Loved the girth and feel. But for some reason, after awhile, the rubber gets kind of "mushy" and tends to "rotate" on me. Don't know why. Another full sized pen I use is an Opera fountain pen by Waterman.

Enjoy!

So far, mine is still holding up well. I've had it for a couple of months now and the grip is still firm. I hope it stays that way because it's a great writing pen.

Ned-L

Enlightened
I am surprised no one else has mentioned the Fisher Millenium Space Pen. It is a great EDC pen. I like that when it is capped (like the space pen) it completely covers the point so if you carry it in your pants pocket it doesn't get all jammed up with lint. Plus it has a good clip and is light enough to carry in a shirt pocket. It is big enough to be comfortable to hold if you have a lot to write. Yes, it is a bit expensive, but you never have to buy a refill! And it seems that they have improved the QC again.

2010ch.jpg

nethiker

Enlightened
Hey Ned,

What's the deal with the Millenium ink? Is it the same as their regular ink, same writability? I wonder how they make it last a "lifetime". Perhaps they figure if you run out before losing the pen they still make money by sending you a refill. I have been tempted by it, but figure I lose too many pens to spend that much on an EDC.

kennyj

Enlightened
I think they just have a big honkin ink reservoir. Supposedly they last so long that a normal person can't empty it in their lifetime. They replace it for free if you do manage to use it all up. They actually can't be refilled by the user (they don't have cartridges; it's commonly assumed that it's basically just one big hollow space inside to make room for a lot of ink.)

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I would love to have one of the Millenium pens, but can't see paying that much for one considering how many of the ~$20 ones I've lost.

InFlux

Enlightened
That Tombow Object XL looked so cool I just ordered one :grin2: Thanks for posting the photo!. Does it have a pocket clip?

I've been using the 3 for $8 Uniball "Power Tanks" They work really well and have good ergonomics. Pressurized is the way to go.

Ned-L

Enlightened
nethiker said:
Hey Ned,

What's the deal with the Millenium ink? Is it the same as their regular ink, same writability? I wonder how they make it last a "lifetime". Perhaps they figure if you run out before losing the pen they still make money by sending you a refill. I have been tempted by it, but figure I lose too many pens to spend that much on an EDC.
I think it is just a little smoother writing, but that could be because it is a bold point compared to the Fisher refills that I have which are medium points. It seems to have the same minor problem with an occasional blotching of the ink that I have observed with any Fisher refill that I have used, but not so much that I really care. I know at $75 it is a bit expensive, but I am careful with my pens and rarely if ever have I lost one (I can't remember loosing a nice one anyway). It is just an all around great EDC pen.

carrot

Flashaholic
My Fisher Bullet drives me nuts. Sometimes it writes beautifully smooth. Other times it refuses to write at all.

JPasquini

Newly Enlightened
My EDC use to be a Diplomat barrel pen. I say "use to" as I lost it a couple of years ago.

I don't recall the model name, but it was gunmetal in appearance and twisted to expose the tip of the cartridge. Staples had a clearance on the refills for $0.50 a while back and I picked up about 10 of them, but I have yet to find a replacement pen. :awman:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
InFlux said:
That Tombow Object XL looked so cool I just ordered one :grin2: Thanks for posting the photo!. Does it have a pocket clip?

I've been using the 3 for $8 Uniball "Power Tanks" They work really well and have good ergonomics. Pressurized is the way to go.

You'll have to give us a report on this. This pen really looks cool.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Inka still does it for me. Quick and easy to sign a check or a receipt, or the occaisional grocery list. But converts to the real deal easily for taking notes or advanced recipes! Heard there's a "tactical" version coming, too. Just my style! ;)

kennyj

Enlightened
Sounds very interesting, actually. The main hangup I have over the Inka is that it doesn't look too quick to set up when you just need to jot something down really quick but can't write effectively with a half-length pen. If they plan on making something that fits the human hand and is usable more readily, I might be very tempted.

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
Three weeks ago I decided to buy a fisher bullet pen. Today I finally received my fisher bullet pen.(wrong delivery, package was opened, but stuff was still inside) In the mean time, I got an offer from FrenchLed to sell me a Inka Pen (An offer that I couldn't resist). The Inka was received from Frenchy 2 weeks ago (from France to NL in 2 days!!!).

I can say that Inka writes a bit smoother than the fisher (not much, but noticeable in some angles). When I opened the fisher, it does have the blob of inkt on the tip. So I guess it is still brand new. I hoped that was a one timer only.

The inka still remains an edc pen, it fits my keychain and it has been abused by my arc aaa. There are signs of scratches, but there is no finish to scratch off. Because fisher is a brass pen with chrome plating, it'll never be my edc with keychain. I've seen pictures of when the chromes goes off and it doesn't look good. When assembled, the inka feels very rigid and secure. The fisher's tailcap wobbles quite a bit, I don't feel like pressing it in any harder. Also the inkt cartridge inside rattles, especially when assembled. It might scratch the smooth finish.

Assembly time is longer on the Inka, 14 second eyes closed was one of my fastest times. But with fisher it's just removing tailcap and put it on. BTW I was able to assemble the fisher pen with one hand, of course it takes some more time than using two hands.

In the end, I like them both.
Fisher has clip, bigger tank, easier to assemble.
Inka has keychain, lasting finish, more rigid and smoother.

Last edited:

bruner

Enlightened
pokkuhlag said:
Assembly time is longer on the Inka, 14 second eyes closed was one of my fastest times. But with fisher it's just removing tailcap and put it on. BTW I was able to assemble the fisher pen with one hand, of course it takes some more time than using two hands.

pokkuhlag,

Could you post some photos showing assembly/disassembly of the Inka? I'm not sure how they work, but am curious. Perhaps you could take a picture of it next to a common battery for size comparison as well?

Thanks,
Dan

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
bruner said:
pokkuhlag,

Could you post some photos showing assembly/disassembly of the Inka? I'm not sure how they work, but am curious. Perhaps you could take a picture of it next to a common battery for size comparison as well?

Thanks,
Dan

AA battery is used and metric ruler for size comparison

size comparison without keychain attachment

size comparison with keychain attachment

pulled out pen and twist off keychain attachment

twist off cap off pen

put the pen in place of keychain attachment and twist it on
and push the cap back in the stainless steel body

completed assembly

full size comparison

if you still don't get it, you can watch this xvid video of assembling and disassembling the inka:
(save target as... to save it)
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/tormund/inka.avi

little extra video to show you one hand assembling and disasembling the fisher pen:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/tormund/fisher.avi

Sorry for the bad quality, no sunlight today.

Edit:
Inkt tanks size comparison, the big one is from fisher bullet pen and the small one is from Inka pen:

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey There. Great shots of the comparison with the Energizer AA battery and the other two "little" pens there. Now I have an idea—

Thanks Pokkuhlag!