EDC Pen?

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Thanks for the pictures pokkuhlag. That's the first time I've seen a direct comparison between the two pens.

Regarding the chrome on the Fisher. I've carried mine in a pocket with keys, a money clip, a knife, and/or change for hundreds of days and the chrome has not come off. Of course that doesn't mean it won't, or can't, but that's my experience. The other finishes they use are not as tough, at least in the past.

bruner

Enlightened
pokkuhlag,

Fantastic !

Thank you so much for the photos! You have convinced me that I now need an Inka!

Your photos explain perfectly how it works and what it's size is in relation to something we all have (AA batteries).

I wonder why the Inka website doesn't show these details? Surely, it's a HUGE selling point. Who doesn't love to screw/unscrew things ;) Let alone, have it on your keychain.

Thanks again pokkuhlag for taking the time to respond with such good detail.

Dan

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
I'm glad you guys liked the pics.

After a day of writing, I found the rattling of the inkt tank in fisher bullet pen annoying and wrapped a tape around the thin area that (or doesn't) touches the hole of the pen. This stopped the rattling and the writing is more stable too.

Another thing I noticed is that the grip area of the fisher bullet pen is very rough. It's basically a very shallow threading. When you feel it, it feels ok. But when I'm writing with it, it feels like it's trying to sand my finger down. The smoothness of the ballpoint has improved compared to yesterday, now it's hard to compare which ballpoint writes smoother. But the Inka is definitely smoother on your hand :). Maybe I'll try the tombow object xl next, depending how the two pens perform on my 2 exam weeks :).

Edit: Extra feature of the Inka pen for the PDA users

(remove the inkt cartridge when cap is off pen part and press the ballpoint upon a surface and inkt will come out of press fit)
By removing the inkt cartridge and placing that in reverse from the front. You get a full size stylus pen. The cartridge is only secured by friction and tight tolerance (NOT PRESS FIT). It only comes out by 2mm max with heavily shaking and doesn't come out at all with normal writing. When you continue or increase heavily shaking, there is a chance of a flying inkt tank.

Last edited:

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Thanx for the pictures! You just convinced me I don't need an Inka!

A good thing too, coz its keychain 'attachibility' drawn my attention coz my Fisher Bullets can't do that. But now it seems unpracticable as a EDC coz its not going to be a pull-off-the-cap-and-write kinda thing.

The screwing and unscrewing is too much of a hassle it seems.

bruner

Enlightened
SJACKAL said:
it seems unpracticable as a EDC coz its not going to be a pull-off-the-cap-and-write kinda thing

Actually, it is a "pull-off-the-cap-and-write kinda thing". If you just need to use it in it's "half size" state, there is no need to screw anything. Just pull it off of the keychain attachment and write.

At least, that is what I gathered from the photos.

Dan

CLHC

Flashaholic
I saw another EDC'able pen yesterday. A friend of mine was jotting something down on a paper when I saw it. It was a Marblelized Acrylic Montegrappa Micra BP! About the size of my A.T. Cross Ion with similar girth.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
bruner said:
Actually, it is a "pull-off-the-cap-and-write kinda thing". If you just need to use it in it's "half size" state, there is no need to screw anything. Just pull it off of the keychain attachment and write.

At least, that is what I gathered from the photos.

Dan

I think there is a Lamy that works rather well, one hand operation to full size if I remember correctly, Pico is it not? Unfortunately it doesn't have a clip.

Oh yeah for full sized pens - thumbs up the for Uniball Powertanks by Mitsubishi Pencil Company. Good ergos as mentioned, smooth writing, and dirt cheap, I got them at about equivalent to US$2 per pen, refills are half the price.

I just refilled mine but the clip broke yesterday, its after all a plastic pen. At $2 per piece, I can afford to loss it.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting "sock" for such writing implements there Taro68.

I just purchase a Fisher Pen in black. It's great little one[der] that the others here have been raving about. The thing about it that "bugs" me is that the clip keeps on comming off. So right now, I just Locktite Blue'd it.

Wonder if a Gel or RollerBall one can be retrofitted in here rather than the BallPoint which I don't care for much. :thinking:

JPasquini

Newly Enlightened
chiphead said:
Space Pen/Bullet with black matte finish. This is my first one...sweet.

chiphead

Just picked up one of these myself from Staples. Just over $17 out the door. Very nice EDC pen.

Now I'm looking for one of the Fisher military "generic" pens locally. They are available mail order, but the shipping is almost as much as the pen. :laughing:

simbad

Enlightened
I carry my Bullet pen like this
smile.gif

EDCpen003.jpg

luigi

Enlightened
I have some of the pens mentioned here this is my mini-review:

Tombow object XL:
+ Good size for carrying and extends quickly for writing
+ Good weight, but could have been just a notch heavier for my taste
+ No cap to lose, just one piece
- No pocket clip, if you put it in your keyring you need a way to release it such as a quick release keyring or a twistie

Cross ION:
+ Excellent writing, I like the ION ink a lot.
+ very confortable for writing
+ cap detaches so you can have it in your keyring and get it quickly for notes
- size is a little bulky for keyring carry

Fisher bullet
+ Has a pocket clip
+ Great size
- Pocket clip can fall and lose the pen (you have to glue the clip probably)
- Some problems with the body detaching instead of the cap

Inka
+ Great size for keyring
+ Quickly detaches for writing
- I think the stylus is 100% useless, you won't do the "building" to use it
- The full-size transformation is unthinkable

Luigi

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey Simbad—I never thought about that and do carry a Leatherman Charge XTi

Nice summarization Luigi! :thumbsup:

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I didn't do that because I have some concerns of about the durablity of leatherman holster, the stretchable nylon doesn't look it would last.

So Luigi which is your favourite? Do you have the Lamy Pico too?