Emisar D4S

Rasher

Enlightened
What a great light - the feel is of quality beyond its weight class. Mine running the new Oslon whites has silly lumens and throw for such a small light.

Ares

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm starting to like the stepped more now that I've used it more. But, and a BIG BUT, is the moonlight mode (or lowest mode). In stepped config, it's a lot brighter than in ramp config. I see you can customize the ramping, but not step.

SO, the reason you're not getting the lowest low, is because the current number of steps does not evenly divide into how many steps you have set up.

There's 150 different levels. By default, the ceiling is 120. So you're working with 120 steps. If you do the stepped ramp using the default settings, 7 does not evenly divide into 120. Try using 6 or 10. Then the lowest low will be the same as ramped mode. :)

If you've changed your ceiling, you'll need to use a number that evenly divides into whatever ceiling you picked. So if you clicked it 40 times to denote a ceiling of 110, you'll need a number that divides evenly into 110. :)

---

Ps. I, too, ordered the 3000K version. Because of course I needed yet another flashlight. But I *LOVE* the tint. It's perfect! Hank has the 3000K available for the smaller D4 as well now! I ordered it too... I have a sickness... :shakehead

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my gray D4S with Amber Aux LEDs and 3000k SST20 95cri emitters. I'm not much into the 'amber' aux LEDs. They're straight up orange, and don't have a feint incandescent glow like I had hoped. I'll set them to their lowest output and hopefully that'll make me like them better.

The SST20s are the real deal though. I like them as much as the 4000k ones, and these are binned to be below the BBL, so they have a beautiful incandescent just right amount of rosiness to them. They go haead-to-head with my 4000k + 804 filter.

I gotta say, I vastly prefer these high cri SST20 offerings over anything nichia, although I have not seen R9080 E21As and/or their Optisolis yet.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd still go 4000k, I find it much more useful CCT for general usage. The 3000k ones Hank sources are great though since they are binned to be below the BBL. The 4000k ones he sources are above the BBL. The 4000k ones Fireflies sources are supposedly below the BBL, but I still found they needed a minus 1/4th green filter.

EDIT: after dimming the orange aux leds, I take back what I said previously about them.. well I still think they're ugly at full brightness, but at lowest brightness, they look like faintly glowing embers in a fireplace. Very nice, very natural!

More impressions: The lanyard ring has been chamfered on my newer D4S. The first one I owned had no extra machining on the ring attachment, so it was razor sharp. This one is still sharp, but now tolerable. The beam profile of the D4S with SST20 emitters is almost exactly like that of the Zebralight SC600 HI, with a smallish, but completely filled hotspot, little corona, and decently large spill and usable spill. Tint shift? Nonexistent. The beam pattern of the 219C D4S I had was less appealing to me, with a less focused hotspot but same sized hotspot, and a lot of corona.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
A strange thing happened while I was away and left the D4S on my counter for about a week without use. When I turned it on and tried to cycle modes (step mode) I only got two - low and high. Took the battery out, tried a few times, no change. I had to reprogram back to my desired 5 modes. I have no idea how it would do that by itself.

low

Enlightened
A strange thing happened while I was away and left the D4S on my counter for about a week without use. When I turned it on and tried to cycle modes (step mode) I only got two - low and high. Took the battery out, tried a few times, no change. I had to reprogram back to my desired 5 modes. I have no idea how it would do that by itself.

Got kids?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got kids?

Or ferrets? I used to run my computer repair business out of my house. When i get home I would let Starsky & Hutch out of their cage and sit at my work desk. They would run across the keyboard & lock me out of the computer with a key combination. I couldn't unlock it but then they come thru from the other direction and hit the right keys, I would have access again.

low

Enlightened
Well, my D4S with the SST-20 5000k has come in and I like it. It does have a greenish tint to it, but the brighter it gets the whiter it gets.

Outside you can not see any green at all. I dont know what the CRI is on the SST-20 5000k but I can see that it has better definition than the HI version, which I like.

It also out throws the HI by around a hundred yards, which is great.

My new favorite D4S!

Connor

Enlightened
CRI is probably around 70. Better definition .. I don't think so, except perhaps on green stuff. Try looking at brown/red things and you will see a huge difference.

low

Enlightened
CRI is probably around 70. Better definition .. I don't think so, except perhaps on green stuff. Try looking at brown/red things and you will see a huge difference.

Gee, I dont have any green stuff around here, or red either. I was looking at trees, the bark actually. And it DOES show better definition.

Perhaps yours has a very ugly green tint to it, is that the case?

Connor

Enlightened
I have the Nichia 219C/5000K version.
Low(er) CRI LEDs are missing huge chunks from the red spectrum, so everything red/brown/earthen in colour usually looks worse.

low

Enlightened
I have that version as well, and I like it a lot. When you say worse I assume you mean incorrect color reproduction. That may very well be true to an extent. But when I say better definition, I am seeing texture to trees and stuff that just does not show up with the HI.

Perhaps I am missing something here. Is the XPL HI 5000k in the D4S a high CRI emitter?

Last edited:

P220C

Newly Enlightened
I just received my order from January 2 (22 days) and the SST-20 in 4000k are nothing short of stunning. The tint is consistent from edge to edge, and the CRI is great.

Nev

Banned
Anyone got any comparisons or thoughts for the sst-20 6500k & XPLHI 6500k? Is the sst as nice as the XPLHI ?

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
I prefer the SST 20 in that video compared to the XPL HI. More throw and still good spill.

Latest posts