EV charging cables cut by copper "recyclers"

mrfixitman

Enlightened
How much power do solar panels generate after sunset or when clouds are thick?

I know: when I hear or read some BS — this is marxist propaganda.
If you're that concerned, add windmill and paddle wheel on a river. Day by day solar is best. No moving parts except for the electrons. BTW Texas(a very conservative place)is the biggest producer of renewable energy in the USA. They understand you cannot depend on a dying technology. It is also causing suffering. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Alley

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As far as solar panels go, the fact that they're only useful if you cover practically the entire roof of your house with them, shows that solar technology is very much in its infancy. Anyone advocating their use in an application when they don't cover the roof of a house, is just lying.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
As far as solar panels go, the fact that they're only useful if you cover practically the entire roof of your house with them, shows that solar technology is very much in its infancy. Anyone advocating their use in an application when they don't cover the roof of a house, is just lying.
Your reasoning is not solid. It takes what it takes. An added benefit, the decades long life protects your roof prolonging roof life. There are even solar roof tiles, so in a one step process you do roofing and energy production at once. Thus cutting out fossil fuels producers. All you then need is a battery to get you through the night. Maybe even an electric car to store and use for transportation.

Sneakers356

Newly Enlightened
Apparently solar panels need a lot more development to make them bullet proof. A hail storm in Texas destroyed solar fields recently. If their efficiency was higher, you wouldn't need as much coverage to get decent output. I had considered solar panels years ago, but the sales person told me about Thermal Events. This happens when solar panels short out and catch fire. Does your insurance company like the fact that the panels cause fires and could burn your house down?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it more concerning that we use land for solar instead of growing crops, in upstate NY I see many solar farms taking place of farm fields. Farmers probably make same or more money with solar panels on their fields than crops, and no need to invest in machinery, time and effort to grow crops, take risks... just put up panels and collect, there are probably gvmt incentives too, hey I wonder why Gates buys out millions of acres of farm land, pretty sure not to planning to grow crops, it is like he is planning to create a food shortage in USA.
Even if i had no practical reasons to stay away from EV, I'd still do it not to be associated with deranged tree huggers. that by itself is a reason enough.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I have 1.4Kw worth of solar panels, none are on my roof.
Live in the forest, so mine are on a terraced hillside.

Had alot of sun recently and was able to run alot in my house, along with storing a good amount in my LFPs'
Run my refrigerator/freezer, entertainment system, computer setup along with bunch of other smaller stuff.
...and been running it all the last couple days off my 'stored juice' ~ been rainy

Solar panels are surprisingly rugged,, just trust me on that one.

Do I bang on about everyone needs solar panels & if you don't you're destroying the planet..
of course not, I'm an adult.

whiteshepherd

Newly Enlightened
Mr FixItMan your responses are so polarized and borderline condescending it makes me suspect your on purpose trolling as either trying win at all costs an argument regardless of other people views (you don't change opinions disrespecting others), or your looking for argument bait. Your really hurting your position (if you care), and that's coming from someone who has found EVs quite useful in my personal life (though I don't think they are ready for people who can't charge at home IMO).

As for my personal reasons (which may or may not align with others goals)
I went to a inexpensive electric car to save money. But I also made the jump because I don't like where oil costs are going, and want more cost control if there was another embargo on the US or war. We passed "peak oil" in 2006 (you can look it up if you don't know). From my view means until we switch to more renewable power sources oil based gasoline (domestic and foreign) and grid electric are going to keep doubling in price faster and faster as the years go on. This cost in gas has NOTHING to do with whoever you put into office. Oil is getting more expensive because the easy to get oil/gas is getting rare. Gas will likely be at $10+/gallon in perhaps 5-10 years as world consumption grows. It's cost is only lower in the US because of our record government subsidies on gas/oil. But how long can that go on for running a government in deficit? Me, not sure, and don't want to find out. So I've been DIY switching my farm home to offgrid on the cheap (new surplus panels) and getting off this OPEC price roller coaster. But I've always has a prepper self reliant attitude most of my life. When prices skyrocket or someone bombs a power station because their political candidate didn't win, I'll be growing my crops tip my hat and say to my family, "Better to be prepared than not...."

As far as my EV use I live on a farm in NE Pennsylvania up on lake Erie. We get a LOT of snow and cold here. I do a lot of rural driving to shop/work and wanted a car that would last a long time. Bought a 2017 Bolt Premier EV with 35k miles for $16k a few years back and for us it's the best car we ever owned. It has a 200-300 mi range (winter/summer), and most days is a long trip/compute. So it's saves us a lot of money on gas/maintenance. Handles the snow fine. It's now at 100k+ miles and battery is just under 3% battery degradation, and no rust. Should get 500k miles out of this car easy saving me a LOT of money! EVs can work quite well if you can utilize their advantages by charging at home. I don't think they are for most everyone yet until batteries can reach a reliable 500 miles IMO. Despite the massive and often false bad press on some EV (Toyota is offering news companies advertising $$ for bad press (though some IS warranted) if I had to guess myself I would suspect in the next 10-20 years, about 1/3 to 1/2 cars will be EVs. If all subsidies on cars (ICE oil subsidies which dwarf EV subsidies) were removed I think the transition would be faster?

Just my 2 cents. It's your money so choose whatever you feel is right for you!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I find it more concerning that we use land for solar instead of growing crops, in upstate NY I see many solar farms taking place of farm fields. Farmers probably make same or more money with solar panels on their fields than crops, and no need to invest in machinery, time and effort to grow crops, take risks... just put up panels and collect, there are probably gvmt incentives too, hey I wonder why Gates buys out millions of acres of farm land, pretty sure not to planning to grow crops, it is like he is planning to create a food shortage in USA.
Even if i had no practical reasons to stay away from EV, I'd still do it not to be associated with deranged tree huggers. that by itself is a reason enough.
Those farmers likely do make quite a bit more money than growing crops, plus it's much less effort. No need to "harvest" solar energy. It's unfortunate. Especially since roughly 1%-2% of the population (farmers) feed the rest of the nation. But that's how it is. Make the most amount of money, putting in the least amount of effort. In China, if someone falls in, you'll frequently see individual fishermen pull up near the drowning victim in their boats. But won't help. They're waiting for the person to die. Then they haul the body into their boat. Why? Government officials pay more money for keeping the rivers free of dead bodies than they do for rescue efforts involving the living. Basically, the fishermen get paid significantly more money for a dead body than a living one.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Apparently solar panels need a lot more development to make them bullet proof. A hail storm in Texas destroyed solar fields recently. If their efficiency was higher, you wouldn't need as much coverage to get decent output. I had considered solar panels years ago, but the sales person told me about Thermal Events. This happens when solar panels short out and catch fire. Does your insurance company like the fact that the panels cause fires and could burn your house down?
FUD. 20 years. No problems. I don't see anyone talking about the hundreds of thousands of car fires each year caused by the rolling Molotov cocktails people drive. It is a wonder they allow them in houses where people live. It is simple. Renewables are cheaper and cleaner. Win, win. Renewable energy already beats fossil fuels on cost globally — and according to analysts, the gap is only going to grow. By 2030, technology improvements could slash today's prices by a quarter for wind and by half for solar, according to the authors of a recent report from clean energy think tank RMI. I take this over your hearsay.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Them cables are like even thicker then 2 Guage wires they built a charger at are gas station yes gas station lol

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Them cables are like even thicker then 2 Guage wires they built a charger at are gas station yes gas station lol
Gas companies see the reduction in business. As one phases out one comes in. However won't be good as gas. Everyone used to need gas. With EV most charging done at home or work. A premium charge for traveling. Then the train will look good.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're that concerned, add windmill and paddle wheel on a river. Day by day solar is best. No moving parts except for the electrons. BTW Texas(a very conservative place)is the biggest producer of renewable energy in the USA. They understand you cannot depend on a dying technology. It is also causing suffering. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Alley

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Maybe you didn't see the shade crops grown in conjunction with the panels.
Studies from all over the world have shown crop yields increase when the crops are partially shaded with solar panels. These yield increases are possible because of the microclimate created underneath the solar panels that conserves water and protects plants from excess sun, wind, hail and soil erosion.May 3, 2023
1713571707743.png

https://www.salon.com › 2023/05/03

How shading crops with solar panels can improve farming, lower food costs and reduce emissions | Salon.com

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I guess if someone has a charging station installed in their house and only uses that one, they might be fine?? Just work and back. Once a week trip to do the shopping. Kids want to go see grand-ma? Sorry kids, can't afford to charge the EV outdoors.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I guess if someone has a charging station installed in their house and only uses that one, they might be fine?? Just work and back. Once a week trip to do the shopping. Kids want to go see grand-ma? Sorry kids, can't afford to charge the EV outdoors.
Your supposition is flawed. With all the money you save a trip to gram's isn't a big deal. Anyway how far is granny? Cheaper than gas anyway so it's a wash. In my experience using a supercharger is a little less costly than gas. So worth it. https://splitvolt.com/blogs/blog/the-cost-of-charging-a-tesla-and-how-it-compares-to-gas-vehicles

Last edited: