• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Exotic Coating Service

ivanchek

Newly Enlightened
Hi modamag.
So your saying that an AlTiN coating on bare Ti (which will produce a glossy finish from what i can tell from the pics) will resist oil marks from hands better than a AlTiN coating on BB Ti (which will produce a matt finish)? I thought it would be the other way around.

When we see pics of polish, normal and BB AlTiN finishes, are these processes done before or after the coating is applied?

For pocket clip, does drilling and tapping need to be done before coating, or can it be done after?

Are all parts of the torch coated seperately; bezel, head, tube, tailcap all taken apart and then coated? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of having AlTiN on the threads, and what are the advantages/ disadvantages of masking the threads? Will the coating on the threads eventually wear off from the thread friction and leave patches of caoting?

Also, can i grab your email address to describe what i would like done. I personally will not be sending you my Ti host as it is already in the US. I live in Australia, and want to avoid having it sent from US to Aus back to US.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Tim W

Enlightened
The following in Al-Ti-Nitride:

NO POLISHING ON ANYTHING, Thanks.
Haiku.jpg

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, last question for this thread from me.

This may have already been answered but I could not find it.

Will the HA Gray be more of a gray color or somewhat brown? I only ask because I recently saw two Mag C hosts for sale that were from one of your exotic coating services and the HA looked brown.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to get in before time is out. I'll do at least one light, maybe 2. Likely Solarforce L2s in crome. More to come.

Edit:
Ok, 1 Solarforce L2 in crome and 1 L2 in 24K Gold. That's about as much as I understand as reading all of the threads I can't keep things straight. I believe the stripping and polishing is included in the price when you get the coating, so that would be $22 + $55 = $77 + shipping. The threading isue confuses me too. Do I need to coat the threads with nail polish or is that just for some cases?

The flashlight will be broken down and of course is pretty basic: bezel, head, body, tail cap

Thanks. Can't wait!!!

l2sforplating.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Last edited:

koopa

Newly Enlightened
I want to have a Raw NS from Lummi (direct shipped) chrome plated. Because it is directly shipped from him, I do not have pictures, but it will be sent disassembled.

Also from supasizefries:
Will chrome plating interfere with pre-machined empty trit slots?

+1?

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me if the chrome plating is as brilliant as polished aluminum? I have never owned a chromed light so I have no frame of reference.

ejot

Enlightened
Broke a cutter and destroyed the Mag head while trying to fin it :oops:so I'm just going to go with a stock one for this round. I'm out of time.

Final selections are fully disassembled, boxed up, and going out Monday. I've deleted my other pictures and consolidated everything here:

IMG_1648_annotated.jpg

1) EX10 clip. Ti-Carbo-Nitride if possible. I believe this is chromed steel, so if there is surface prep or stripping required, that is fine. Not pictured is the small threaded retaining part. I will include this and would like it done as well.

2) 2x SureFire G2L bezels. Strip, polish, TII anodize bright orange. No cleanup or masking required.

3) Ese LZ2 (SS). Ti-Carbo-Nitride only if #1 is a go. Masking if possible, or electrical cleanup, please.

4) Elektrolumens FireLion. Strip, polish, mask all areas currently bare, HA Nat/Grey.

5) Mac 1D Mag. Strip, polish, chrome plate. No masking or electrical cleanup needed.

6) SureFire M3. Strip, polish, mask all areas currently bare, HA Black.

7) 2D Mag. Strip, polish, mask if possible, TII anodize bright orange. Electrical cleanup if masking not possible, please.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a dumb question, but do titanium lights getting AlTiN coating need any cleanup for electrical conductivity?:confused::confused::confused:

Depends where the contact points are. For instance an Aleph A19 makes contact at the tube ends. Front of the tube hits the LE and the back touches the switch. So, after the coating is applied, just run the ends of the tube on some sandpaper or a flat file and you're good to go.

koopa

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I have sent Modamag a PM, but still no luck, I need an address to send my Raw NS to? Could someone please PM me where I'm sposed to send it to?

Thanks!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really sure how to post photos, but here is a link to a picture the parts I've sent for coating.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/BoostedBrick/?action=view&current=AlTiN005.jpg

Jonathan, please coat them all in Al-Ti-N. And perform whatever work you deem necessary to do so. I provided those two screws for the McClicky's clip (perhaps the world's only flat-head ti screws!:crackup:) in case you need them for the process, though I am not concerned if they are coated or not. Please do whatever you think is best.

Thank you,
-Ryan

Number Six

Banned
Depends where the contact points are. For instance an Aleph A19 makes contact at the tube ends. Front of the tube hits the LE and the back touches the switch. So, after the coating is applied, just run the ends of the tube on some sandpaper or a flat file and you're good to go.

So that means that AlTiN is not electrically conductive, correct?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that means that AlTiN is not electrically conductive, correct?

I can't say for sure. I guessed no because other annodizing isn't. I'm sending in an A19 for AlTiN coating and that's what I'm going to do with it. Even if there is some conduction, I wouldn't think it would as good as bare Ti.

jhanko

Enlightened
I have shipped the following:
(2) Titanium AA lights with piston, clip and screws. Both lights to receive DLC.

All of the surfaces have a 2000 grit finish. Do not polish. No surface prep other that wiping off fingerprints. The two lights are identical, but I documented them individually. Thanks for doing this!

Last edited:

ivanchek

Newly Enlightened
Would anyone thinking of getting an AlTiN coating be up for trying the equivelant of the Titankote C6+S or the Titankote C7 from the link below.
http://www.richterprecision.com/coating-technical-data.html

Im not sure whether this is still possible (modamag will let us know in the near future), but if we can get a group of 5 (i think this was the minimum), maybe we can make one of these a reality.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need to look for my Leef 3x18650 - went missing between my house & apt (no movers involved :shakehead). Light reappeared Sunday morning! NOW I remember where I put it.....

Whether I find it tomorrow or not photos will get updated tomorrow night & lights will go out priority on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Latest posts